The disk "name_here" can't be unlocked

Hi,

When i plug in my Sandisk Extreme SSD I get this message The disk “name_here” can’t be unlocked. "A problem was detected with the disk that prevents it from being unlocked. I’ve tried it on different Macs, restarted them, changed the cable, I’ve tried everything I know. The drive is not shown in Finder. I contacted SanDisk and I’m still waiting for a response. Any ideas?

Hi @wviquez
Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the SD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:

Hi,

Yes, I did open a case. Case #: 8146568 | Reference #: 240502-000468. The response I got was that it was an “Apple issue”. John G from Western Digital Customer Service and Support wrote “I would like to inform you that, our engineering team has investigated on your case and it appears the error is due to macOS encryption not SanDisk Security which we provide for hardware encryption.” If this was the case I should be able to see the HD when I use a Windows computer/. I tried different OS and computers, five different, and none of them will recognize the disk. So, there should be a different approach to solving this issue other than trying to toss the ball to Apple.

William

Any update?

Someone sent me a link to download a trial of recovery software. However, I had already tried that software and found that it didn’t recover enough files.
So, the update is that I’m still grappling with a failed drive and haven’t found a solution yet.

William