"The device does not allow files to be placed in that location"

Ok, I just got a Sansa Clip 2gb mp3 player for christmas, but it won’t let me put any music on it. Everytime I try to, it either tells me “Error: folder cannot be created”, “file type not supported”, “do not have permission to create this file”, or “the device does not allow files to be placed in that location”. I’ve tried putting files on it both by dragging & dropping and with various media programs (Winamp, Windows Media Player 11, Rhapsody, etc.), but nothing seems to work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if it helps, I’m running Windows Vista.

Format your device and try again to see if it works.  Or upgrade to the newest firmware and see that helps as well.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=718

I am having the same problem. I got this for my daughter and she is driving my crazy about getting the music put on it. I think I have tried everything but

reading other suggestions what do you mean by formatting the files?

Well…if you can turn on the device and browse the menu in the device…then you can go to settings menu and look for the format option…choose the format option to clean up your device’s memory and try again…sometimes a little clean up helps.

Any other suggestions on how to get music on the sandisk. We have IPODS which are so simple but I got this one because it was for my 8 yr old and I didn’t want to spend alot, plus the IPOD that matches the same price did not have a display screen and my friend told me it was frustrating to little kids not to be able to look up there songs. I have tried everything and can not get one song on there, not from a cd, files on computer, etc. I have tried everything and now just want to scream. Can’t return because I bought it from a seller on Amazon. Any help would be appreciated the more the better

what mode you in – media transfer protocal (mtp) or mass storage class (msc)? also, you cant drag anything from apps not winamp, wmp, nothin… find file location, drag n drop from there into music folder of clip… make sure that player apps arent running… altho this isnt sposed to make any difference in just copying files, somehow pc might think that you are moving files…

Message Edited by amkoas on 12-27-2007 08:26 AM

Message Edited by amkoas on 12-27-2007 08:26 AM

Message Edited by amkoas on 12-27-2007 08:36 AM

1. This is the default mode (MTP) with Windows Media 10.  When you plug in your device to the computer, you should have seen this icon when you open up “My Computer”

2. So you see the icon, double click on it will open up the following two folders: Data and Media.  If you want to save your documents or stuff, you can drag the files to Data.  But if you want to put music on the device, you should open up Media by double clicking on it. 

3.  These are the folders you will see when double click on Media.  You do not care about other folders except for Music folder because that’s where you want to drag and drop your music files to it.  So just open up another window where you store you music and then copy and paste or drag-n-drop those files to the Music folder and you should be able to get it on the device and play.

I received a new Sansa Clip for Christmas also. I had the same problem, until I used the synchronize function in Media Player. and everything went smoothly and quickly.

@terriaf wrote:

I am having the same problem. I got this for my daughter and she is driving my crazy about getting the music put on it. I think I have tried everything but

reading other suggestions what do you mean by formatting the files?

KMC2005:

I am having a similar problem with the new Christmas Clip. I have tried setting both transfer modes in the USB menu but regardless I cannot copy files onto the device. When I open the Clip in Explorer (XPsp2) per your first picture, it apparently contains nothing. As in, in your second picture, there are no items there. The status bar says “0 items”.

Formatting disk, upgrading firmware had zero effect.

Suggestions very welcome.

Regards,

Jim

There’s this strange problem. When I connect my sansa clip to my home PC, I am able to see folders like data and music. But, when I connect my clip ti my Laptop, it does not show these folders. Instead, it shows ‘Internal Memory’ icon and after clicking that it shows the subfolders that u have shown in music folder below along with some system files. I had installed clip on my home PC. But when I insserted the CD on my laptop, nothing happens. It only shows user manual pdf. What can ne done to install it on my laptop? I need it to transfer some data files.

Please reply to this thread as below messages are by someone else.

Message Edited by vrushal2 on 04-24-2008 10:27 AM

That’s all normal, and you are connected both ways, just under different computer modes:  MSC mode on your PC and MTP mode on your laptop.  This likely is because your PC does not have the minimum requirements for the Clip for MTP mode:  Windows XP SP2 and WMP 10.  And so on your PC, the Clip defaults down to MSC mode.  The only “major issues” are your particular computer will only reveal the files transferred to the Clip in the mode that the computer is connected in (altho they all will play and show on the Clip), and DRM files cannot be transferred when connected in MSC mode.  (Also, in MTP mode, the Clip does not show as a drive, if you need that for other software use.)

If this concerns you, you can update your PC to Windows XP SP2 and/or WMP 10 or above; or you can set your Clip to MSC mode under Settings/USB (it currently is set to auto detect). (I’ve done that, so that I can see all my files automatically no matter what computer I’m using to connect to the Clip.)

The CD you have isn’t needed and doesn’t have anything needed for the Clip’s use (altho the manual is nice).

Message Edited by Miikerman on 04-24-2008 05:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I’ll try to change USB settings for clip when connected to laptop and copy files to it. Then will try to paste it in my PC. I hope it will work this time. If I face any problems, I’ll surely get back to you. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info. I’ll try changing USB settings of clip while copying files from laptop. I hope it will work and let me use it as usb drive for my PC. If I face any problem, I’ll definitely revert back to you and hope you would be able to help me. Thanks in advance.

Vrushali

Hurray… It worked… :smileyvery-happy:

Hurrah for you!   :slight_smile: