Sound distortion after upgrading

Hi everybody.

Last night I’ve updated my Fuze firmware to v. 01.02.28F via SANSA Updater. After this my device has begun to sound horrible, with high distortion and a bit lowered volume.

I’ve tried to fix it by resetting but with no results. Once my Fuze has also suddenly shut off !

What can I do? Would it be possible downgrading to the previous firmware version?

Please, help me. I was so proud of my Fuze

Message Edited by Nost on 10-13-2009 11:02 AM

I have same problems. Can anyone help? :frowning:

Here’s a link to 1.02.26,

which is still on the Sandisk site. Grab it soon. 

You should Uninstall the Sansa Updater, which is wasting your time every time you boot up or connect the Fuze in order to collect a very occasional update. 

Then follow the Manual firmware update instructions to downgrade. 

Nost, thanks for the information. I had initially thought that my expensive eaphones gone wrong - I’d left them in rather damp place. Than I tried the native Sansa earbuds - exactly the same story with the distortion. After that I’ve been blaming my failing hearing… Thanks for saving me from depression!

It’s the developers after all…

Back to the previous version now.

P.S. I am back to the previous firmware version for Fuze v.2. Sound distortion disappeared. Very pleased now… :slight_smile:

P.P.S The volume  is also back to normal high level.

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-14-2009 01:18 PM

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-14-2009 01:19 PM

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-14-2009 01:23 PM

@etoja wrote:

If i remember correctly didnt you choose your region as Europe to get rid of the slotradio icon? if so that is why your volume was not set to high. Europe has different laws and all audio players have to be shipped with a lower max volume than in the US.   

what file type and bit rate are your songs? i just tested my v2 with 320kbps mp3s and have no sound issues at any volume.

I use only mp3 files and the bitrates are variable from a minimum of 128kbps to 320kbps.

About volume, I’m from Rome so I’ve always set Europe as region. Neverthless I’ve noticed a change in volume after upgrading.

You mentioned v2 while mine is v1. Could it be the reason why your upgraded Fuze works?

Anyway, I’m going to roll back to previous Firmware Version and keep you informed about result.

Message Edited by Nost on 10-15-2009 01:18 AM

@drlucky wrote:

@etoja wrote:

If i remember correctly didnt you choose your region as Europe to get rid of the slotradio icon? if so that is why your volume was not set to high. Europe has different laws and all audio players have to be shipped with a lower max volume than in the US.   

I’m in Europe anyway. :slight_smile:

Concerning volume level - I didn’t find much difference between the loud or normal levels in the latest firmware. It might be my hearing as well.  Also I can’t remember if I was chosing it before or after I reverted to Europe (world). Wouldn’t bother to check now when I’m back on the old firmware. Thanks for letting me know about those regulations - useful to know.

The sound distortion was very obvious. I have checked it with various settings and several types of earphones. It was well pronouced on the top quality 320-44 (48) mp3 and Flacs.

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-15-2009 08:02 AM

Etoja, I haven’t be lucky like you.

Coming back to 01.02.26 hasn’t solved my problem. Still audio distorsion on bass notes.

It remains only to contact Sandisk support service for my fuze is still under guaratee  (I’m depressed).

@nost wrote:

Etoja, I haven’t be lucky like you.

Coming back to 01.02.26 hasn’t solved my problem. Still audio distorsion on bass notes.

It remains only to contact Sandisk support service for my fuze is still under guaratee  (I’m depressed).

Have you double-checked to see that your earphone plug is firmly and completely inserted into the jack? These (the jacks) are extremely tight (especially when new) and many others have reported similar anomalies that disappeared when they gave the plug another firm push.

Tapeworm, the plug earphone problem usually gives you some kind of stutter, not base distortion. However I checked the plug first when I got this distortion :slight_smile:

Nost, did you check how your equalizer fares? You might go in there and mess with individual settings, it might help. Are you sure it appeared AFTER the upgrade to 28?

As the last resort, try to reformat the Fuze and reupload the files… it wouldn’t guarantee the change, but what if?

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-18-2009 03:29 PM

I agree with Etoja, it’s not a matter of bad plugged earphone. I had this problem at first use of Fuze and it was totally different.

Etoja, I’ve always used EQ individual settings (8 / 5 / -2 / 7 / 11). I can get less distortion only lowering bass frequencies but I hate flat sound. Anyhow, it didn’t sound so bad before upgrading, I’m quite sure. The only doubt is that after upgrade I’ve also put in two albums more (how can it be the cause of the issue?).

Just a question about reformatting. Is it dangerous? Could my fuze accidentaly become useless for ever? I’m a bit scared…

@nost wrote:

I agree with Etoja, it’s not a matter of bad plugged earphone. I had this problem at first use of Fuze and it was totally different.

Etoja, I’ve always used EQ individual settings (8 / 5 / -2 / 7 / 11). I can get less distortion only lowering bass frequencies but I hate flat sound. Anyhow, it didn’t sound so bad before upgrading, I’m quite sure. The only doubt is that after upgrade I’ve also put in two albums more (how can it be the cause of the issue?).

Just a question about reformatting. Is it dangerous? Could my fuze accidentaly become useless for ever? I’m a bit scared…

Formatting doesn’t do any harm, as long as the music on your player is backed up somewhere else. It simply clears out the user-installed memory. It will not erase firmware. Some of the distortion you’re getting is probably from the EQ…the custom EQ does not work very well on the Sansas. Put it on Normal, and see if your distortion goes away.:wink:

Thanks Marvin.

About EQ, what’s driving me mad is that before that unlucky night the customized settings made sansa sound wonderful… 

@nost wrote:

Thanks Marvin.

About EQ, what’s driving me mad is that before that unlucky night the customized settings made sansa sound wonderful… 

Well, I’m sure some of it has to do with the update, judging from all the other complaints I’ve read. If you can get back to the .26 firmware, I would just do that. I thought that one worked very well, at least on my V1 Fuze.:smiley: