Song Sorting Problems on the MicroSD Card

Hello everyone.  Hopefully, someone can help me out.  I have an 8GB MicroSD card I’m using with my 4GB Fuze.  My Fuze is in MTP mode and I’m dragging and dropping music files (.mp3) in Windows Explorer onto the Fuze’s internal and external memory.  When I unplug the Fuze and after it refreshes the database, I’ve discovered that the order of tracks on my external card is incorrect.  I usually just keep everything in alphabetical order, but some of the tracks are showing up at the end of the album list (I usually plays songs from “Albums”) and not in alphabetical order.

I use Mp3tag v2.4 and set the tagging to ISO-8859-1, and this works fine, but the tracks are still out of order on the card.  They work just fine and the tracks are in order on the Fuze’s internal memory.

I’ve set the Fuze to MSC, and this problem still happens.  I’ve even renamed the filenames to “01. Song Name, 02. Song Name, etc.” and the tracks are still out of order.  Very frustrating!

Any ideas why this keeps happening?

Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by HulkSmashNow on 12-14-2008 02:42 PM

Hulkster-

You already know that the Sansas do not read by file name, but by tag info, so I’m not sure I understand your dilemma. I’ve noticed too, that not all Artists or Albums are listed alphabetically in the player menus, but most are. If this is what you’re talking about & striving for, then I got nuthin’. Some of this peculiarity can be attributed to .mp3 & .wma files being listed separately, even for the same Artist. But if all your files are .mp3’s, then this wouldn’t apply.  

If however, you’re talking about the Artist or Album folders are not in alphabetical order when you view them in Windows Explorer while plugged into your computer, then you can go into the VIEW menu > ARRANGE ICONS BY and select NAME. This will alphabetize the folders or files.

Hulk-  Go to the song on your windows explorer and right click. Then select properties. The titles should match on both the General and Details tab. If they don’t… it could be the reason why your song titles aren’t alphabetically in order. The Fuze (along with the other players) go by the title in your Details tab not by the main title.

On the internal memory of my Fuze, the tracks are sorted alphabetically, as they should be.  On the external memory (microSD), some of the tracks are listed in the incorrect order.  A track starting with “K” comes at the end of the list after the tracks starting with “W.”  It only happens on the microSD.

If I drag and drop the same files onto the internal memory, they come up in the correct order.  I’ve tried several different microSD cards, and get the same results.

The titles and filenames match, too.

Thanks.

Well then idk what to tell u… that was always my problem. Did u try to reformat ur player??

@heartless_woman wrote:
Well then idk what to tell u… that was always my problem. Did u try to reformat ur player??

Several times to no avail.  Also formatted the card several times, inside the Fuze and in an external card reader. 

Tried copying files onto the card with the reader, and still had the same problem. 

I’ve really enjoyed the Fuze, but this is sort of souring me on it.  I don’t want to give up on the thing, but I’m pretty much at a loss here.  I’d just like to be able to play my music in the order I want.

When you use mp3tag, see what is in the track numbur tag. Look carefully. If there are  spaces there, rather than an empty tag, perhaps it might cause the tracks to sort in a random order? Why doesn’t mp3 tag have some sort of way of showing the space charachter?

Hi Hulk,

i think i got the same problem in the past and i just reproduced it.

The problem seems to be, that when you copy the tracks on the card not only the filename is used for sorting, but also the date/time

when a file is copied on the card!

You can reproduce it with MP3tag too. I have a folder with tracks named ‘track01’ to ‘track09’.

When its on the hd, its always sorted alphabetically, no matter how i copy the files. But when i copy the files to the card, i can

change the sorting of the files by changing the order when i copy the files.

For example, when i copy the files starting with ‘track09’ down to ‘track01’, then the files will also be displayed(and played) in this

order. On the fuze and in MP3tag its the same behaviour.

But why?

Message Edited by wolftarkin on 12-14-2008 06:32 PM

@wolftarkin wrote:

Hi Hulk,

i think i got the same problem in the past and i just reproduced it.

The problem seems to be, that when you copy the tracks on the card not only the filename is used for sorting, but also the date/time

when a file is copied on the card!

You can reproduce it with MP3tag too. I have a folder with tracks named ‘track01’ to ‘track09’.

When its on the hd, its always sorted alphabetically, no matter how i copy the files. But when i copy the files to the card, i can

change the sorting of the files by changing the order when i copy the files.

For example, when i copy the files starting with ‘track09’ down to ‘track01’, then the files will also be displayed(and played) in this

order. On the fuze and in MP3tag its the same behaviour.

But why?

Message Edited by wolftarkin on 12-14-2008 06:32 PM

Once again, thanks for the replies, everyone.  wolftarkin, I think that might be the problem.  I’m going to go ahead and try your solution and see if it works.  Man, this is really more complicated than it should be!

Thanks again.

Well, I tried it, and the tracks are still out of order.  I think maybe my best bet is to create playlists and manually place the tracks in any order I want.

I have a 4GB Fuze and a 4GB card, and I use MTP mode and “drag & drop”.  I have used MP3Tag v2.42 to retag, but using UTF-16.  In the “Albums” list everything is as it should be, all in the correct order.

@jkj1962 wrote:

I have a 4GB Fuze and a 4GB card, and I use MTP mode and “drag & drop”.  I have used MP3Tag v2.42 to retag, but using UTF-16.  In the “Albums” list everything is as it should be, all in the correct order.

I’ll try that and get back to you.

Thanks.

The problem has to be related to the Track number tag.  Within an album, songs are sorted by the Track tag.  If the Track tag is missing, it will try to sort by the Title tag, finally falling back on Filename is the Title tag is missing.

From the previous posts, it sounds like you want them to sort by the Title tag.  In which case you need to delete all your Track tag.

@jkj1962 wrote:

I didn’t think v2.4 tags were supported yet. That was expected in latest update (3 days ago), but didn’t happen.

@skinjob wrote:

The problem has to be related to the Track number tag.  Within an album, songs are sorted by the Track tag.  If the Track tag is missing, it will try to sort by the Title tag, finally falling back on Filename is the Title tag is missing.

From the previous posts, it sounds like you want them to sort by the Title tag.  In which case you need to delete all your Track tag.

I wish you could command my Fuze to do what you just said. OP’s problem is not unique to him. If I tag 100 Beatles songs to Album Beatle, change Titles to Beatles 1, Beatles 2, and so on,  strip Tracks, and call up Album Beatles, still songs will be out of sequence. I also tried FileName=Title, Track=1 on all songs, still the same.

I didn’t know the problem was limited to sd card. If OP finds MTP solves this problem, that will be a big help to me. (4 gb internal + 8 gb sd)

@skinjob wrote:

I’ve never used the Track tag.  I always set it to “blank” when tagging my songs.  And I tried using UTF-16, and that didn’t work either.  I’m really at a loss here now.

@hulksmashnow wrote:

@skinjob wrote:

I’ve never used the Track tag.  I always set it to “blank” when tagging my songs.  And I tried using UTF-16, and that didn’t work either.  I’m really at a loss here now.

Make sure you use ID3v2.3 ISO format tags.  ID3v2.4 isn’t supported,  Track tag doesn’t work with ID3v1, and UTF encodings are currently unreliable.  ID3v2.3 ISO is the only reliable tag format right now for the Fuze/Clip.

Actually, if you can’t get it to work with ID3v2.3, you might try removing the ID3v2.3 tags and only use ID3v1.  Most people who’ve had the opposite problem (sorting alphabetically when they actually wanted track number) were using ID3v1 and solved the problem by going to ID3v2.3.

@tapeworm wrote:

@jkj1962 wrote:

I didn’t think v2.4 tags were supported yet. That was expected in latest update (3 days ago), but didn’t happen.

Version 2.42 of the MP3Tag proggie itself.  The tag version is ID3v2.3 UTF-16.

@jkj1962 wrote:

Version 2.42 of the MP3Tag proggie itself.  The tag version is ID3v2.3 UTF-16.

D’oh! I think I just had a “Homer” moment.

Got it now. :smileyvery-happy: