Some things i learnt onmy express (SDHC 8GB + freeze) [advanced user only]

First,  i have to say that any time i set the music to play randomly, i go into a freeze of my player rather quickly. I haven’t used it for some time now, and i am fine.

I also just bought a 8GB SDHC card and i have done some usable things with it:

First, i am using firmware 01.01.05(A), so the up to date firmware.

Whenever i put more than 4 GB of data on the card, the information get lost and i had to copy it again.

I get fed up, and went to a more radical approach:

[Edit : the next stuff does not work :(]

I created 2 partition on the card, of roughtly 4GB each. The first one only is accessible from the player, so it cannot get passed the barrier. The second one i can use as a  data only partition to save/carry stuff, which is really usefull.

• Ok, about the formating, i have to say that windows does not format SD card properly, that’s why you have to go throught the option -> system -> format -> external of the express.

• Now, many would say that windows cannot acces/create a second partition on a removable disk (usb, sd anything). You are right. That’s why you need to use the following trick to make it appear as a fix disk (it does not change anything, but the disk will appear as a normal disk now :). You can still remove it though :)).

Download this:(from hitachi)

http://www.xpefiles.com//files/xpfildrvr1224_320.zip

Then in cfadisk.inf, add the line:

[cfadisk_device]
%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,USBSTOR\DiskSandisk_______________SansaExpress0100

Then in the hardware manager, locate your sansadrive (the second one, not first one, Sansadisk Sansa Express Usb device), and update its driver by pointing to cfadisk.inf. It is done, you can now create 2 partitions, access them. Only the first 4GB partition will be available directly for music, which is good because of this 4 GB limitation in the curent firmware…

[Edit : I just copy 2 GB on the second partition, and thenstarted my player and… it destroied my first partition (probably because the 4GB of data on card threshold was hit.) I do not understand how it could know that there is stuff on the second partition it didn’t see. anyway, i am back with a unique 8GB partition, and putting only 4GB on it. Will wait until a new firmware fix that 4GB issue].

Message Edited by bgx on 06-01-2008 05:29 PM

hi i have a problem with my 4gb&8gb micro sdhc card  my  computer  will only  read them both  as  2gb  i have  a sdhc  card reader  but i think  the problem was that i formated  the card on my  lg ku990 viewty any ideas this is drive me nuts thank you loads

@mutantgargoyle wrote:
hi i have a problem with my 4gb&8gb micro sdhc card  my  computer  will only  read them both  as  2gb  i have  a sdhc  card reader  but i think  the problem was that i formated  the card on my  lg ku990 viewty any ideas this is drive me nuts thank you loads

Use a card reader to format the 4gB card, format it as FAT32, then place the card in you Express. If it is a Sandisk brand, it should play. If it is not Sandisk brand it may or may not work, you may still only see 2gB.

The 8 gBcard is not supported. You might be able to use it as a 4gB card, but I would not want to do that. I would get another 4 gB card instead.

I’ve found that the same problem seems to happen when you get close to capacity on a 4GB card.  Now, I always leave about 100MB free.