Solutions to Apparent Mac-Related Bugs - Thread 1

OK, I’m using this Sansa Clip Plus on a Mac.  I have a huge library of podcasts, some of which I’ve downloaded from listservers and some of which I’ve obtained via iTunes (typically business and old time radio; some sports podcasts).  My problem?  The thing won’t play them.

The symptom is that I get a rapid scrolling through my files, but when I try to play one, it justs starts scrolling again.  Out of 23 podcasts I’ve loaded, only 3 actually will play on the device.  Most of the files end up having an underscore mark at the beginning of the filename (such as _203 Weekly …) when seen in the Sansa Clip, though not when viewed on the Mac.

The new iPod shuffle isn’t a satisfactory answer, but so far neither is this thing.  I miss my second gen iPod shuffle!  Too bad its lifespan is so short.

Any help here? 

Message Edited by MaxBuck on 08-03-2010 12:41 PM

Sansa does not support .aac format. If the podcast just scrolls through then the format might not be supported. Check this link

Message Edited by Jamieson on 08-02-2010 05:20 PM

Most of the files end up having an underscore mark at the beginning of the filename (such as _203 Weekly …) when seen in the Sansa Clip, though not when viewed on the Mac.

use the dot_clean command to get rid of that.

What exactly is the “dot clean” command?

MaxBuck wrote:

OK, I’m using this Sansa Clip Plus on a Mac.  I have a huge library of podcasts, some of which I’ve downloaded from listservers and some of which I’ve obtained via iTunes (typically business and old time radio; some sports podcasts).  My problem?  The thing won’t play them.

The symptom is that I get a rapid scrolling through my files, but when I try to play one, it justs starts scrolling again.  Out of 23 podcasts I’ve loaded, only 3 actually will play on the device.  Most of the files end up having an underscore mark at the beginning of the filename (such as _203 Weekly …) when seen in the Sansa Clip, though not when viewed on the Mac.

You didn’t benefit from the information on this issue in this thread? The cause plus the fix was given.

MaxBuck wrote:

OK, I’m using this Sansa Clip Plus on a Mac.

You didn’t benefit from the information on this issue in this thread? The cause plus the fix was given. I know you read it because you responded to it. Just because you couldn’t make the complicated (terminal) procedure work, did that somehow prohibit you from using the 

???

I understand you’re a fan of this device, but actual help would be appreciated in place of juvenile put-downs.  I’m reluctant to just load new software onto my computer absent a clear need to do so - maybe this is one of those cases.  

Note the Sansa user manual says the following:

Drag and Drop (Mac) 

Follow these steps to drag-and-drop music to your Sansa® Clip+ MP3 player: 

1. Connect your Sansa® Clip+ MP3 player to your Mac computer. 

2. Double-click on the removable disk named SANSA CLIPP that appears on your 

desktop. 

1. Double-click on the Music folder. 

2. Drag and drop music files from your computer to the player’s Music folder. 

These directions don’t really work at all.  If one must use some third-party solution like this kopymac, you don’t have a compatible device and shouldn’t advertise it as such.

By the way, I’ve copied files back and forth between OSX and Vista numerous times, including mp3s, photos and videos from an HD camera.  The Sansa Clip is the first device I’ve had this problem where OSX file naming screwed up the device’s ability to use them.  I can even play mp3s from my mac in my car (Windows CE) off a flash drive and on my BlackBerry - no problem. 

Once the files are copied properly, the device does work well, so far.  Battery life is much shorter than the iPod shuffle ver2, but that’s to be expected with the spiffy color screen. 

Message Edited by MaxBuck on 08-03-2010 03:10 AM

Message Edited by MaxBuck on 08-03-2010 03:11 AM

The answer posted in the other thread linked by Tapeworm was incorrect, because the poster (drlucky) didn’t include a space just before the word DSDontWriteNetworkStores, which is why the command didn’t work for you.

If you type into a Terminal window:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

that will prevent the creation of the .DS_Store file.

But the dot_clean command is provided by Apple, and built into OSX 10.5 (Leopard) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard) - did you not try that?

Before you start blaming Sansa for Mac problems, you should understand that OSX Finder has a very annoying habit of storing additional file information in files beginning with ._  (Google AppleDouble for more details).

Finder doesn’t show them of course, but this is a real nuisance for anyone trying to use a Mac with other systems: PCs, Unix, network shares, MP3 players, anything.

It would be nice if Sansa firmware could optionally ignore these Mac droppings; but the real solution would be for Apple to fix OSX so that Finder won’t create resource files on non-HFS filesystems.

For now, the dot_clean command is the Apple-supported workaround, but if you’re not comfortable with the Terminal, then you’ll have to download and use some additional software. Sorry.

If you don’t like it, compain to Steve Jobs … who will try to sell you an iPod.

Message Edited by njd on 08-03-2010 01:49 PM

Message Edited by njd on 08-03-2010 02:14 PM

@njd wrote:

The answer posted in the other thread was incorrect, because the poster (drlucky) didn’t include a space just before the word DSDontWriteNetworkStores, which is why the command didn’t work for you.

If you type into a Terminal window:

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

that will prevent the creation of the .DS_Store file.

But the dot_clean command is provided by Apple, and built into OSX 10.5 (Leopard) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard) - did you not try that?

Before you start blaming Sansa for Mac problems, you should understand that OSX Finder has a very annoying habit of storing additional file information in files beginning with ._  (Google AppleDouble for more details).

Finder doesn’t show them of course, but this is a real nuisance for anyone trying to use a Mac with other systems: PCs, Unix, network shares, MP3 players, anything.

It would be nice if Sansa firmware could optionally ignore these Mac droppings; but the real solution would be for Apple to fix OSX so that Finder won’t create resource files on non-HFS filesystems.

For now, the dot_clean command is the Apple-supported workaround, but if you’re not comfortable with the Terminal, then you’ll have to download and use some additional software. Sorry.

If you don’t like it, compain to Steve Jobs … who will try to sell you an iPod.

Message Edited by njd on 08-03-2010 01:49 PM

First, I’ve been working across the OSX - Vista platform interface for over a year.  This device is the ONLY device and it contains the ONLY software with which I have had any issues with the “additional file information.”  I’ve been able to drag-and-drop mp3s over to my BlackBerry which plays them without incident, and to a flash drive that I can play without incident on my Windows CE powered car stereo.  I’ve migrated numerous other program files back and forth between Vista and OSX without having any problems with them.  So characterizing this as a “Mac problem” alone lets Sandisk off the hook for failing to solve a problem that others have solved easily.

Second, the SansaClip user manual directs me to do something that doesn’t work - namely, drag-and-drop files to the device.  The failure of Sandisk to put accurate and workable instructions into its user manual is certainly not a “Mac problem.”

Third, were it not for the stupid decision by Apple to remove its controls from the device and place them onto a proprietary headphone set on its Gen 3 iPod Shuffle, I wouldn’t have bought this SansaClip to begin with.  It was advertised as being Mac compatible, and frankly it doesn’t do very well at being compatible.  (How I wish Apple still sold the Gen 2 Shuffle!)

Having to resort to third-party software (kopymac) to get it to work is not what I thought I was getting into, although that software appears to work OK.  I hope this interchange of messages on the board is helpful to others who find themselves with similar frustrations to mine.

I’m sorry that a Mac does things when copying files to a PC or non-Apple device, that crap up the other devices that then have to deal with the issues the Mac created.  I’m also sorry that the small Clip+ does not have embedded within it and its small memory whatever is needed to handle the issues that a Mac creates (I’m not sure how much of an issue it would cause to add this, but out-of-the-box universality obviously would be a good thing). 

You’re right, the Clip+ manual and other product information should correctly/more fully state the issue/limitation and the solution, as discussed here–that potentially would have avoided at least some of your understandable frustration.  As you may know from reading posts here, the manual, while graphically nice, has informational deficits, that it would be nice to see addressed (a general continuing and growing issue with consumer product manuals, unfortunately, I find, some products not even including manuals at this point).  I’m not an Apple computer user, and so I don’t know how far-flung the issues that a Mac creates are–does the issue get caused by all Apple computers and operating systems?  The nice thing about this forum is that it exists, in part, to solve issues such as yours, as has happened here.

Having said all this, you’ve been given the solution, the free Kopymac program, which seemingly fixes the issues a Mac creates, as you note.  Perhaps there should be a sticky thread at the top of the forum, readily providing Mac-related information of this type. 

And so, while I know that you are frustrated, it seems to me that the problem is solved.  Yes, it would be nice if the Clip+ would automatically address the problems that a Mac creates.  But it doesn’t, either by design (with its small memory, which has limitations) or overlook.  In the end, though, the Mac has created the issue–it’s just that the Clip+ doesn’t address it as much larger other devices might.  Computer and device operating systems are not yet universal (and, quite candidly, Apple has been known in the past to be a bit stubborn in this arena).

You might want to complain on the Apple boards about the issues a Mac creates, that other devices and software then have to handle.  Or, if the issue continues to bother you, purchase and use a current generation Apple Shuffle with its user interface limitations (and you can purchase 3rd party headphone adapters for the Shuffle, at extra cost, which include the buttons needed to work that player, to address the limitations that Apple introduced onto the player), or purchase the earlier-generation Shuffle, that still easily can be found via a quick search engine search, and live with its own limitations (no screen; as well as no fm radio, no recorder, no equalizer, no microSD slot, and no folder view navigation).

Personally, I’d use the free and seemingly easy-to-use Kopymac software and enjoy the Clip+.  But that’s just me.

I'm sorry that a Mac does things when copying files to a PC or non-Apple device, that crap up the other devices that then have to deal with the issues the Mac created.  I'm also sorry that the small Clip+ does not have embedded within it and its small memory whatever is needed to handle the issues that a Mac creates (I'm not sure how much of an issue it would cause to add this, but out-of-the-box universality obviously would be a good thing). 

You're right, the Clip+ manual and other product information should correctly/more fully state the issue/limitation and the solution, as discussed here--that potentially would have avoided at least some of your understandable frustration.  As you may know from reading posts here, the manual, while graphically nice, has informational deficits, that it would be nice to see addressed (a general continuing and growing issue with consumer product manuals, unfortunately, I find, some products not even including manuals at this point).  I'm not an Apple computer user, and so I don't know how far-flung the issues that a Mac creates are--does the issue get caused by all Apple computers and operating systems?  The nice thing about this forum is that it exists, in part, to solve issues such as yours, as has happened here.

Having said all this, you've been given the solution, the free Kopymac program, which seemingly fixes the issues a Mac creates, as you note.  Perhaps there should be a sticky thread at the top of the forum, readily providing Mac-related information of this type. 

And so, while I know that you are frustrated, it seems to me that the problem is solved.  Yes, it would be nice if the Clip+ would automatically address the problems that a Mac creates.  But it doesn't, either by design (with its small memory, which has limitations) or overlook.  In the end, though, the Mac has created the issue--it's just that the Clip+ doesn't address it as much larger other devices might.  Computer and device operating systems are not yet universal (and, quite candidly, Apple has been known in the past to be a bit stubborn in this arena).

You might want to complain on the Apple boards about the issues a Mac creates, that other devices and software then have to handle.  Or, if the issue continues to bother you, purchase and use a current generation Apple Shuffle with its user interface limitations (and you can purchase 3rd party headphone adapters for the Shuffle, at extra cost, which include the buttons needed to work that player, to address the limitations that Apple introduced onto the player), or purchase the earlier-generation Shuffle, that still easily can be found via a quick search engine search, and live with its own limitations (no screen; as well as no fm radio, no recorder, no equalizer, no microSD slot, and no folder view navigation).

Personally, I'd use the free and seemingly easy-to-use Kopymac software and enjoy the Clip+.  (As I said, I haven't used Kopymac, but:  is it any more difficult or troublesome to use than having to use iTunes?)  But that's just me.

I’m sorry that a Mac does things when copying files to a PC or non-Apple device, that crap up the other devices that then have to deal with the issues the Mac created.  I’m also sorry that the small Clip+ does not have embedded within it and its small memory whatever is needed to handle the issues that a Mac creates.  I’m not sure how much of an issue it would cause to add this, but out-of-the-box universality obviously would be a good thing, if possible. 

You’re right, the Clip+ manual and other product information should correctly/more fully state the issue and solution, as discussed here–that potentially would have avoided at least some of your understandable frustration.  As you may know from reading posts here, the manual, while graphically nice, has informational deficits, that it would be nice to see addressed (a general continuing and growing issue with consumer product manuals, I find, some products not even including manuals at this point).  I’m not an Apple computer user and don’t know how far-flung the issues that a Mac creates are–does the issue get caused by all Apple computers and operating systems?  The nice thing about this forum is that it exists, in part, to solve issues such as yours, as has happened here.

Having said all this, you’ve been given the solution, the free Kopymac program, which seemingly fixes the issues a Mac creates, as you note.  Perhaps there should be a sticky thread at the top of the forum, readily providing Mac-related information of this type. 

And so, while I know that you are frustrated (including in having to use separate software–very understandable), it seems to me that the problem is solved.  Yes, it would be nice if the Clip+ would automatically address the problems that a Mac creates.  But it doesn’t, either by design (with its small memory, which has limitations and could be the source of the issue here) or overlook.  In the end, though, the Mac has created the issue–it’s just that the Clip+ doesn’t address it as much larger other devices might.  Computer and device operating systems are not yet universal (and, quite candidly, Apple has been known in the past to be a bit stubborn in this arena).

You might want to complain on the Apple boards about the issues a Mac creates, that other devices and software then have to handle.  Or, if the issue continues to bother you, purchase and use a current generation Apple Shuffle with its user interface limitations (and you can purchase 3rd party headphone adapters for the Shuffle, at extra cost, which include the buttons needed to work that player, to address the limitations that Apple introduced onto the player), or purchase the earlier-generation Shuffle, that still easily can be found via a quick search engine search, and live with its own limitations (no screen; as well as no fm radio, no recorder, no equalizer, no microSD slot, and no folder view navigation).

Personally, I’d use the free and seemingly easy-to-use Kopymac software and enjoy the Clip+.  (As I said, I haven’t used Kopymac, but:  is it any more difficult or troublesome to use than having to use iTunes?)  But that’s just me.

The latest firmware for the Clip seemingly deals with this issue. Not sure why the Clip+ doesn’t. 

I am disappointed, for the first time, with this forum. It is no wonder Mac fans hate Windows to some degree. I believe the Windows people started all the anger. Going on the attack to a Mac user here, is a first for me to witness.

I tried to save a little money and purchased the Clip+ instead of the iPod Nano, at three times the price. My bad. While I love Sansa for my USB stick, the Clip+ was a mistake of $50 on my part. It is sitting in a drawer gathering dust. The unit was brand new to Best Buy when I bought it. They did not have a working model on display. The screen is so small, I can barely read it.

I will not purchase another music player from Sansa, especially when people on this forum give Mac users grief.

I will save up for an iPod Nano, which now has an FM Radio. 

Message Edited by wplj42 on 08-04-2010 10:39 AM

Excuse me, but:

The reason some Apple customers may feel like they are on the defensive is that the problems noted in this thread, being blamed on SanDisk and the Clip, are that of Apple’s making in adding extraneous files with a file transfer–Apple, not SanDisk, is the “culprit.”    Apparently, this issue is fairly well-known and universal, as specific software has been created to deal with it (and will deal with it here, seemingly with no more hassle than using iTunes).  And yet postings in the thread blame SanDisk.  Sorry but, not fair, nor cool. 

If anything can be “blamed” on SanDisk, it’s not having gone a step further to handle the issues created by Apple (if that’s possible with the Clips and their memory limitations–I don’t know)–while that would be great, can SanDisk really be blamed, at least more than Apple, for not having done so? (and, in fact, it may have, with an earlier firmware revision for the Clip (see the comment above)); and not being express about the issue in written material (but I’m not a Mac user, and so don’t know if it’s a universal issue with Macs).

Sorry you didn’t like your Clip+.  I’m not sure why you didn’t return it to the store and use your money for another player.  And you’re right, the screen is small, given the size of the device.  But isn’t it nice to actually have a screen, on something this small, and as an option to all the other small, screenless players out there (including the Shuffles)?

I just loaded over 23GB of music onto my Clip+ (an 8GB player, plus new 16GB microSD card), and am just amazed at that fact and the fact that I now have over 250 albums of richly-encoded music on my player.  And, if I want to, I can swap the microSD card out for another 150+ albums.  All in the size of a matchbox or so.  Just amazing to me.

Again, sorry if you felt like you were put on the defensive.  But I think some Clip+ users perhaps felt like they were put on the defensive first, unfairly so. 

Now, get that Clip+ out of the drawer and start using it.   ;)   (Or if you don’t want it, feel free to send it to me–I’m more than happy to reimburse the postage.    ;)   )

@miikerman wrote:

Excuse me, but:

The reason some Apple customers may feel like they are on the defensive is that the problems noted in this thread, being blamed on SanDisk and the Clip, are that of Apple’s making in adding extraneous files with a file transfer–Apple, not SanDisk, is the “culprit.”    Apparently, this issue is fairly well-known and universal, as specific software has been created to deal with it (and will deal with it here, seemingly with no more hassle than using iTunes).  And yet postings in the thread blame SanDisk.  Sorry but, not fair, nor cool. 

If anything can be “blamed” on SanDisk, it’s not having gone a step further to handle the issues created by Apple (if that’s possible with the Clips and their memory limitations–I don’t know)–while that would be great, can SanDisk really be blamed, at least more than Apple, for not having done so? (and, in fact, it may have, with an earlier firmware revision for the Clip (see the comment above)); and not being express about the issue in written material (but I’m not a Mac user, and so don’t know if it’s a universal issue with Macs).

Sorry you didn’t like your Clip+.  I’m not sure why you didn’t return it to the store and use your money for another player.  And you’re right, the screen is small, given the size of the device.  But isn’t it nice to actually have a screen, on something this small, and as an option to all the other small, screenless players out there (including the Shuffles)?

I just loaded over 23GB of music onto my Clip+ (an 8GB player, plus new 16GB microSD card), and am just amazed at that fact and the fact that I now have over 250 albums of richly-encoded music on my player.  And, if I want to, I can swap the microSD card out for another 150+ albums.  All in the size of a matchbox or so.  Just amazing to me.

Again, sorry if you felt like you were put on the defensive.  But I think some Clip+ users perhaps felt like they were put on the defensive first, unfairly so. 

Now, get that Clip+ out of the drawer and start using it.   ;)   (Or if you don’t want it, feel free to send it to me–I’m more than happy to reimburse the postage.    ;)   )

Excuse me too, but if you advertise a device as being “Mac compatible,” you can’t have it displaying the Mac-related behaviors that the Clip+ does when you try to do things the way the User Manual says they should be done.  Sandisk is to blame for this stuff, and Sandisk alone.

Blaming this all on Apple is inappropriate and a cop-out.  That, plus the condescending (not to mention inaccurate) post offered by a Clip+ fan to me above?  Not a recipe for good relations. 

The Clip+ has a lot of excellent points, and I’m not trying to dump on it as a product.  But it has some flaws that can be frustrating for a Mac user like me. 

Milkerman … Because of many other issues, I will be returning to the PC. I will still look for another player besides the Sansa. Funny, postage has gone up. it will set you back about $60 shipping and handling. Packaging costs have really gone through the roof. If you are interested, make me a fair offer. To give it away would have to be someone deserving.

My beef is with the attitudes here. This has always been a pleasant and helpful forum. I get sick and tired of others who insist on mistreating Mac users. One would assume you Sansa Guru folks have some association with Sansa. If that is the case, it is a sad representation of the company.

This is not the first time I have stumbled across something that is supposed to work with the Mac, but does so at a substandard level. At least Apple makes the claim that iTunes is necessary to use their iPods. Sansa should make the claim that their products work best with Windows Media Player. The Zune probably can’t work with a Mac. Sansa only makes the claim that the player needs to be used in the MSC Mode.

Sansa should have tested their products with Macs before making any compatibility statements. If they did, and are satisfied with the results, then I for sure will look elsewhere. As I mentioned in another thread, the instructions for installing the firmware update were not complete for the Mac or Linux user. Yes, the Clip+ works with Linux, but must be in MSC Mode as well. Linux works on a Mac. Beware of free virtualization products. They have issues as bad as Sansa!

Do LOVE my Cruzer though!!!

wplj42 wrote:

My beef is with the attitudes here. This has always been a pleasant and helpful forum. I get sick and tired of others who insist on mistreating Mac users.

Oh c’mon. You Mac guys take ribbing way too seriously. We love iSheep around here. They’re so cute & wooly. :smileyvery-happy:

I’m sure the same ‘mistreatment’ (as you call it) goes on toward Windows users in the iPod forums.

One would assume you Sansa Guru folks have some association with Sansa. If that is the case, it is a sad representation of the company.

Then one would assume incorrectly.

This is not the first time I have stumbled across something that is supposed to work with the Mac, but does so at a substandard level.

Then you should realize that the rest of the world operates outside the Apple core and it’s up to you (Mac users, the minority) to adapt, not the other way around. There are thousands, maybe more Mac users that are perfectly happy and satisfied with their Sansa alternatives to the ‘pod’ family. One member here even wrote an entire web page on the subject of using mp3 players with a Mac just to help others with the ‘differences’ they will encounter. It is easily found with Google, but here’s the direct link.

And as a matter of fact, my daughter uses a Mac. I gave her my Fuze when she accidentally dropped her iPod into an aquarium and we could not revive it by storing it in a sealed bag of white rice for a week or so. She’s had it for over a year now and has no problems with the ‘compatibility’.

So, quit 'yer whinin! :stuck_out_tongue:

MaxBuck wrote:

Excuse me too, but if you advertise a device as being “Mac compatible,” you can’t have it displaying the Mac-related behaviors that the Clip+ does when you try to do things the way the User Manual says they should be done.  Sandisk is to blame for this stuff, and Sandisk alone.

Blaming this all on Apple is inappropriate and a cop-out.  That, plus the condescending (not to mention inaccurate) post offered by a Clip+ fan to me above?  Not a recipe for good relations. 

The Clip+ has a lot of excellent points, and I’m not trying to dump on it as a product.  But it has some flaws that can be frustrating for a Mac user like me. 

Yep, I agree with you (as you’ll note above)–if the Clips don’t fully work with Macs without more, they shouldn’t be listed otherwise; or if the separate Kopymac freeware is needed for trouble-free use, the manual should say that.  (Note that, even with the Kopymac software, the Clips aren’t anymore complicated than iPods with iTunes …)  Again, the manual really should be improved or fixed (and in a number of regards).

And I can understand the frustration, especially where the manual provides inaccurate or impartial info.  I had it initially with the unexplained MSC and MTP modes.  Thank heavens for this forum.

Having said this, apart from the compatibility listing, it really is a situation caused by Macs and their creation of extraneous files–it’s just that the Clips seemingly don’t correct this issue.  With all due respect, it’s not a situation caused by the Clips, unless you consider not fixing the Mac-created issue a fault of the Clips.  Again, this is apart from the compatibility listing/incomplete Mac steps.  And this doesn’t seem to be unique to the Clips, as the Kopymac software, I assume, exists to fix this issue elsewhere as well.

I must admit, I’m confused by the Mac situation (I’m a PC dude), as I’ve also read here, from another user, that a firmware upgrade with the original Clip fixed this.  Maybe that’s wrong?  I do wish, just like with other computer products having a section in the manual as to specific Mac usage and issues, that the Clips had that, either in the manual or in a sticky thread up above (which I still think really is needed).  While 100% out-of-the-box compatibility would be preferable, this would help to avoid frustration.

I’m glad you’ve persevered, and I hope it’s working out for you (just like me and my Apple Airport Express, with PC use–still problematic, and the manual not as helpful as needed).  And maybe your threads will help out other users.

And, wouldn’t it be nice if a firmware upgrade could just tell the Clips to ignore the Apple extraneous files?  Althouth they still would be cluttering the player and taking up space, it would be positive.  But again, maybe the Clip memory limitations prevent that–I’ve seen that explanation for issues before.

wplj42 wrote:

Milkerman … Because of many other issues, I will be returning to the PC. I will still look for another player besides the Sansa. Funny, postage has gone up. it will set you back about $60 shipping and handling. Packaging costs have really gone through the roof. If you are interested, make me a fair offer. To give it away would have to be someone deserving.

My beef is with the attitudes here. This has always been a pleasant and helpful forum. I get sick and tired of others who insist on mistreating Mac users. One would assume you Sansa Guru folks have some association with Sansa. If that is the case, it is a sad representation of the company.

This is not the first time I have stumbled across something that is supposed to work with the Mac, but does so at a substandard level. At least Apple makes the claim that iTunes is necessary to use their iPods. Sansa should make the claim that their products work best with Windows Media Player. The Zune probably can’t work with a Mac. Sansa only makes the claim that the player needs to be used in the MSC Mode.

Sansa should have tested their products with Macs before making any compatibility statements. If they did, and are satisfied with the results, then I for sure will look elsewhere. As I mentioned in another thread, the instructions for installing the firmware update were not complete for the Mac or Linux user. Yes, the Clip+ works with Linux, but must be in MSC Mode as well. Linux works on a Mac. Beware of free virtualization products. They have issues as bad as Sansa!

Do LOVE my Cruzer though!!!

wplj42, yep, as you’ll see above, I agree with you as to the compatibility/listing/instructions issue.  A sticky thread here as to Mac use would do wonders.    (Hint, hint, SanDisk folks!)

As to affiliation, nope–just a SanDisk Clips (and Cruzer!) user.  I just started posting here to thank others for the help I originally received.

I don’t think that people here were trying to be condescending (well, at least I wasn’t–I’m sorry if is seemed otherwise)–in fact, I saw people trying to help.  It’s just that, as a PC user, we’re used to Mac owners often saying how much better their Apple products are, and here, apart from the compatibility listing and steps, this really is a Mac-created issue–if an Apple computer didn’t add the extraneous files, there wouldn’t be an issue.  Seeing SanDisk blamed for the situation just rubs/rubbed the wrong way.  I just wish that the Clips automatically could correct for the Mac issue.

And yep, I can understand the issue with postage having gone up.  Guess I’ll just stick with the Clips I already have.   :wink:

By the way, no need to use WMP with the Clips.  The easiest way (apart from with Macs, I guess) simply is to drag and drop files to the Clip.   And with Macs, from what I read here, it’s to use the Kopymac software.  I just looked into it a bit, and that software really seems like a good solution for a wide variety of devices (audio players and cameras) as well as PCs, all of which can suffer from the Mac behavior in transferring files.

Wish you’d give the Clip another chance.  Having just put in a 16GB microSD card, I’m in lust again.