Slow Battery Self-Discharge Rate?

I have a 2gb Clip with version 20 firmware.  The battery self-discharges about 3% to 8% per day without using it (right click on Clip icon -> properties).  Is this “normal,” or is my Clip’s battery defective?   

I’ve read the other posts on this subject.  Most people seem to have trouble with their Clip completely self-discharging or self-discharging much quicker, while mine “slowly” discharges.  I’ve heard that most rechargeable batteries will usually self-discharge slightly/slowly.  Should a Clip not lose any charge at all when it’s turned off (or less than what mine is?)?  I’ve been trying to decide if I should return it, and see if a new Clip will not lose any charge. I’ve got about one week left to return or exchange it at the store. 

Exchange it.

lhkhjkh

Update from 02-12-08:  I exchanged my black 2 gb Clip for a new one at Best Buy.  The new Clip I got lost its charge even faster than my original Clip.  After fully charging it the first day, it lost about 30% of its charge over night without using it.  After the second night, the Clip was almost completely discharged without using it.

I will be retiring this Clip, and not getting a new one (at least until Sansa confirms that they have fixed the self-discharging battery issue).  I am very disappointed with Sansa’s lack of quality control with this issue, on this otherwise great product.  Sansa needs to be responsible for their product by either recalling known units or admitting/announcing defects in the Clip.  It is not my or other’s responsibility to waste time, energy, and money testing Sansa’s products! 

Update from 02-12-2008:  I exchanged my black 2 gb Clip for a new one at Best Buy.  The new Clip I got lost its charge even faster than my original Clip.  After fully charging it the first day, it lost about 30% of its charge over night without using it.  After the second night, the Clip was almost completely discharged without using it.

I will be returning this Clip, and not getting a new one (at least until Sansa confirms that they have fixed the self-discharging battery issue).  I am very disappointed with Sansa’s lack of quality control with this issue, on this otherwise great product.  Sansa needs to be responsible for their product by either recalling known units or admitting/announcing defects in the Clip.  It is not my or other’s responsibility to waste time, energy, and money testing Sansa’s products!

Update from 02-12-2008:  I exchanged my black 2 gb Clip for a new one at Best Buy.  The new Clip I got lost its charge even faster than my original Clip.  After fully charging it the first day, it lost about 30% of its charge over night without using it.  After the second night, the Clip was almost completely discharged without using it.

I will be returning this Clip, and not getting a new one (at least until Sansa confirms that they have fixed the self-discharging battery issue).  I am very disappointed with Sansa’s lack of quality control with this issue, on this otherwise great product.  Sansa needs to be responsible for their product by either recalling known defective units or admitting/announcing defects in the Clip.  It is not my or other’s responsibility to waste time, energy, and money testing Sansa’s products!

I will be returning this Clip, and not getting a new one (at least until Sansa confirms that they have fixed the self-discharging battery issue).  I am very disappointed with Sansa’s lack of quality control with this issue, on this otherwise great product.  Sansa needs to be responsible for their product by either recalling known defective units or admitting/announcing defects in the Clip.  It is not my or other’s responsibility to waste time, energy, and money testing Sansa’s products!

Jay_Dee63 wrote:

I think the clip is great, despite the few lemons that got away. I doubt they can recall the product when theres no way to determine all of the ones that do and dont have the issue. Sucks that you got 2 lemons though, ce la vie my friend, thats life.

There is an established thread on this topic, we really don’t need another one to follow.

See that “search” thingee?? It works wonders…

If you read my original post, you would have known that I already read the “established threads on this topic,” genius.

As I already said earlier, my Clip discharged “slowly,” as compared to other’s Clips in the “established thread” discharging much quicker.  Keep your wise guy comments to yourself, potato head.  If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them.

@click wrote:
There is an established thread on this topic, we really don’t need another one to follow.

Thanks for the tip, genius.   If you read my original post, you would have known that I already read the “established threads on this topic_.”_  Like I said earlier, my Clip discharged “slowly,” as compared to other’s Clips in the “established thread” discharging much quicker.  Keep your wise guy comments to yourself, Mr. Sansa Forum President.  If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them.

@click wrote:

Thanks for the tip, genius.   If you read my original post, you would have known that I already read the “established threads on this topic_.”_  Like I said earlier, my Clip discharged “slowly,” as compared to other’s Clips in the “established thread” discharging much quicker.  Keep your wise guy comments to yourself, Mr. Sansa Forum President.  If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them.

@click wrote:

Thanks for the tip, genius.   If you read my original post, you should have known that I already read the “established thread on this topic_.”_  Like I said earlier, my Clip discharged “slowly,” as compared to other’s Clips in the “established thread” discharging much quicker.  Keep your wise guy comments to yourself, Mr. Sansa Forum President.  If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them.

@click wrote:

Thanks for the tip, genius.   If you read my original post, you should have known that I already read the “established thread on this topic_.”_  Like I said earlier, my Clip discharged “slowly,” as compared to other’s Clips in the “established thread” discharging much quicker.  Keep your wise guy comments to yourself, Mr. Sansa Forum President.  We really don’t need a forum nanny.  If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them.

I believe what you are seeing is within the normal parameters for the self-discharge rate of lithium-ion batteries. That is one of their drawbacks.

Dana

Actually, my Clip, without use, hardly discharges if at all.  In a week’s time, the battery went down one pixel, if that (I may have had the player on for a short time). 

How do you go a week without using your Clip? :wink: I use mine so much, on a daily basis, I’ve had it surgically attached to my body and earbuds implanted in my ears. :smileyvery-happy:

I have a principal player and the Clip is for exercising/the pool/etc.–have not been a good boy …

@jay_dee63 wrote:

blah blah <snip> If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them.

Unfortunately I have a socio-behavioral anomaly, common in geniuses, that causes me to compulsively read everything in front of me and try to help others through any issues I interpret as existing, upon assimilation of said written material.

Sorry if the constructive criticism offended you. I’ll pass on the sequel -  as you judged, your battery is defective - LiPos normally have negligible self-discharge. dhartsoc’s statement is incorrect -  Dana may be confusing the characteristics of NiCd and NiMH battery chemistries, which have a far greater self-discharge rate than LiPo.

@click wrote:

@jay_dee63 wrote:

blah blah If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them.

Unfortunately I have a socio-behavioral anomaly, common in geniuses , that causes me to compulsively read everything in front of me and try to help others through any issues I interpret as existing, upon assimilation of said written material.

Sorry if the constructive criticism offended you. I’ll pass on the sequel -  as you judged, your battery is defective - LiPos normally have negligible self-discharge. dhartsoc’s statement is incorrect -  Dana may be confusing the characteristics of NiCd and NiMH battery chemistries, which have a far greater self-discharge rate than LiPo.

You forgot to mention that its common in jerks too, lol :stuck_out_tongue: