Shutting off with battery meter still high?

From the “How is your battery life” thread:

Sasafrass452 wrote: the low battery message was displayed, then the Clip shut off. Is that how it normally works? (…) It went from roughly 35%(give or take) to empty in less than an hr.

Cllipman wrote: Ya know? The last time I looked at the meter on mine, it was near 50%…and after a while, as I’m listening, it just went dead!

I recognize those symptoms!  … This is eerie. Twice in the last week my Clip reported ‘Battery low’ when I tried to turn it on. Both times it suprised me, as I thought I had not used it that much and the meter showed halfish full the previous time I used it. And both times I recharged without double checking the battery level on the computer… :cry: <slap> So now I am on the second day of a test: Charged fully, play for two hours a day, record battery levels…

Something is definitely wrong. Mine never used to do that- and although I didn’t record how many hours of playtime I got between charges, I know it was nowhere near 14-15 hours! I use my Clip sporadically…listen for 20 mins/half-hour one day…don’t listen for a couple of days…maybe listen for an hour or two one night- but something has definitely gone wrong.

When  I listened tonight, I checked the meter upon turning the Clip on…and saw that it was at 50%, which is about where I thought it should be, based on my rough estimation of use…an hour later, it shut itself off.

I see that Cllipman & I are not alone… Here’s my complete post from the other thread:

[quote]
Well, I wasn’t paying close attention to my battery meter(distracted with something else), & my music stopped, & the low battery message was displayed, then the Clip shut off. Is that how it normally works? I thought I’d still have maybe 2 hrs of play when the meter is empty? It went from roughly 35%(give or take) to empty in less than an hr. That seemed rather fast to me… is that normal? I don’t recall it dropping that fast before, unless I’m mistaken. I hope my Clip hasn’t gone bad on me![/quote]

With at least 3 of us experiencing this issue after upgrading the FW, it seems likely that’s where the problem lies. Or so I hope…

Here’s a possibility from something I just realized on my own clip yesterday.  Rather than using random like normal, I’ve started letting my songs play in order (alphabetically by title, so still pretty random).  After awhile, it shut off after a song, and I just assumed it was the auto-shutoff kicking in, but after restarting it, it started playing from the first song I had played that day.  As soon as it finished playing the exact same set of songs, it stopped after playing the exact same song.  What I’ve realized is that one of my song files must be corrupt, and the player just freezes on it (then shuts down after a few seconds).  I’ve noticed it do it before, but never realized because of having it on random.

Anyway, it may not be the same problem you are having, but it’s worth testing out. :wink:

What we’re talking about here is something completely different…

@bowtie_bob wrote:

Here’s a possibility from something I just realized on my own clip yesterday.  Rather than using random like normal, I’ve started letting my songs play in order (alphabetically by title, so still pretty random).  After awhile, it shut off after a song, and I just assumed it was the auto-shutoff kicking in, but after restarting it, it started playing from the first song I had played that day.  As soon as it finished playing the exact same set of songs, it stopped after playing the exact same song.  What I’ve realized is that one of my song files must be corrupt, and the player just freezes on it (then shuts down after a few seconds).  I’ve noticed it do it before, but never realized because of having it on random.

Anyway, it may not be the same problem you are having, but it’s worth testing out. :wink:

Interesting observation, Bob- but mine took 4 hours to charge up after it died…and once it was fully charged again (with a wall charger) it continued from the same song that it had died on just fine.

Sasafrass: Funny…when my Clip died…I immediately thought of you! Even funnier, is that my Clip didn’t seem to do this at first, after I upgraded to .20a. Maybe I’ll try installing the old .18a FW and see if that corrects the problems…as that way we’ll be able to tell if it’s a hardware or software problem. (If anyone wants to beat me to it…I likely wont get around to doing mine for a day or two)

Sassafrass, it sounds like I have the same problem as you.  When I checked the playtime on my Clip, it got about 16 hours and 40 minutes (I think that’s identical to yours).  When the battery level gets to around 40 to 30 %ish, the battery drains much quicker and will die within about an hour of use.  I’ve tried both version 18 and 20 FW, and get the same results.

I don’t know if the battery meter is inaccurate, or if the battery just drains much faster when it gets to lower levels.  Is this "normal/"does anyone else’s Clip “act” this way?

Sassafrass, it sounds like I have the same problem as you.  When I checked the playtime on my Clip, it got about 16 hours and 40 minutes (I think that’s identical to yours).  My Clip doesn’t shut off when “the battery meter is still high,” but when the battery level gets to around 40 to 30 %ish, the battery drains much quicker and will die within about an hour of use.  I’ve tried both version 18 and 20 FW, and get the same results.

I don’t know if the battery meter is inaccurate, or if the battery just drains much faster when it gets to lower levels (although 30 to 40% does not seem like it’d be a “lower level.”).  Is this "normal/"does anyone else’s Clip “act” this way?

Sassafrass, it sounds like I have the same problem as you.  When I checked the playtime on my Clip, it got about 16 hours and 40 minutes (I think that’s identical to yours).  My Clip doesn’t shut off when “the battery meter is still high,” but when the battery level gets to around 40 to 30 %ish, the battery drains much quicker and will die within about an hour of use.  I’ve tried both version 18 and 20 FW, and get the same results.

I don’t know if the battery meter is inaccurate, or if the battery just drains much faster when it gets to lower levels (although 30 to 40% does not seem like it’d be a “lower level.”).  Is this "normal/"does anyone else’s Clip “act” this way?

I don’t know if the battery meter is inaccurate, or if the battery just drains much faster when it gets to lower levels (although 30 to 40% does not seem like it’d be a "lower level. ") .  Is this "normal/"does anyone else’s Clip “act” this way?

I don’t know if the battery meter is inaccurate, or if the battery just drains much faster when it gets to lower levels (although 30 to 40% does not seem like it’d be a “lower level.”  ) .  Is this "normal/"does anyone else’s Clip “act” this way?

According to Sansafix, this is normal. I’m keeping an eye on mine, to make sure I still get the same amount of playtime…

@sasafrass452 wrote:
According to Sansafix, this is normal. I’m keeping an eye on mine, to make sure I still get the same amount of playtime…

Do you have the link to where Sansafix talked about this, or did he message it to you??

@sasafrass452 wrote:

Do you still have the link to or the text from Sansafix telling you about this??

@sasafrass452 wrote:

Sasafrass, do you still have the link to or the text from Sansafix telling you about this??  :stuck_out_tongue:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=4521#M4521

@jay_dee63 wrote:

@sasafrass452 wrote:

Sasafrass, do you still have the link to or the text from Sansafix telling you about this??  :stuck_out_tongue:

Very non-linear

Did the test I described above - playing 2-4 hours a day and got:

Total playing time: 13-14 hrs (128 kbps material, AKG headphones, volume 12 clicks - a reasonable level)

Last recorded battery level: 59% after approx. 11 hrs.

Self discharge when off: 1-2% pr. day

And the meter runs just as fast in reverse: From “dead” it wil recharge to 40% in 5-8 minutes! (And fully charge in the usual four-ish hours).
So my meter effectively runs between 100-50% for a full cycle. Meaning that the self discharge rate is then actually 2-4% pr. day - I’m not sure that is quite acceptable; what do you think?

Thanks.

@sajmondk wrote:

Very non-linear

Total playing time: 13-14 hrs (128 kbps material, AKG headphones, volume 12 clicks - a reasonable level)

And the meter runs just as fast in reverse: From “dead” it wil recharge to 40% in 5-8 minutes! (And fully charge in the usual four-ish hours).
So my meter effectively runs between 100-50% for a full cycle. Meaning that the self discharge rate is then actually 2-4% pr. day - I’m not sure that is quite acceptable; what do you think?

Thanks.

After exchanging my Clip twice (first two had self-discharging batteries), I’m now on my third one.

Mine sounds similar to yours, and I’ve been wondering if mine’s acceptable, too.  When I tested it, it got 16 hours and 40 minutes of playtime (played straight…don’t know the kbps…about 3/4 volume).  I’d say I got apx. 15 - 16 hours inbetween 100 - 40%.  Once it gets down to around 40%, the battery drains much quicker.  It’ll only take about an hour to drain completely once it gets to this point. 

It seems to hold a charge well, maybe losing 1 - 3% at most without use per day.  Charging it back up from dead to around 40% takes mine about 15 - 20 minutes.  To charge it the rest of the way up to 100%, it takes about 4 hours or so.

I don’t know if my battery meter is inaccurate, or if it’s “normal” for the battery to drain much quicker when it’s at lower levels.

Message Edited by Jay_Dee63 on 03-09-2008 12:37 AM

@sajmondk wrote:

Very non-linear

Thanks.

Mine sounds similar to yours, and I’ve been wondering if mine’s acceptable, too.  When I tested it, it got 16 hours and 40 minutes of playtime (played straight…don’t know the kbps…about 3/4 volume).  I’d say I got apx. 15 - 16 hours inbetween 100 - 40%.  Once it gets down to around 40%, the battery drains much quicker.  It’ll only take about an hour to drain completely once it gets to this point. 

It seems to hold a charge well, maybe losing 1 - 3% at most without use per day.  Charging it back up from dead to around 40% takes mine about 15 - 20 minutes.  To charge it the rest of the way up to 100%, it takes about 4 hours or so.

I don’t know if my battery meter is inaccurate, or if it’s normal for the battery to drain much quicker when it’s at lower levels.