Battery life self discharching during the night

Hi

I pruchase a new sansa clip 2gb, the product is good but the battery life 4 or 5 hours max and if i close with the power button after the night the battery is empty ???
I have the last firmware and the first time i recharge it 1 day.

I beleive is  a sansa clip defect ?

Sounds like it.  Although I’d give it a few days and a few charge cycles to see if matters correct themselves.  If not, I’d replace it.

I would try downloading the firmware from the forum and applying it to the clip. Even though it’s already updated, reapplying the FW could possibly solve this issue :smiley:

reapplying the FW could possibly solve this issue

Even though it can’t hurt to try, I have not heard of anyone where it positively HAVE corrected this? I’d very much like to know otherwise… :dizzy_face:  I got a self discharging one which i believe was FW 1.01.11F, I upgraded to 18 and the to 20, it still discharged and I now have had it exchanged…

I’m quite certain that the FW is used to solve battery issues.

HappyIsBrian wrote:
I’m quite certain that the FW is used to solve battery issues.

Unfortunately, the FW doesn’t fix the self-discharge problem.  I had two defective ones in a row then two more which both work perfectly.  All had .11 FW which was updated to the current version…changing the FW made no difference.

I believe it is a harware issue but not necessarily the battery.  The two with the discharge problem would work ~15hrs non stop but would also completely discharge the battery in 3 days with the player off.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=905

I purchased four 2GB Sansa Clips just after T-giving (2007) for me, my wife and two of my daughters. 3/4 work great-- my clip had the battery problem many of you have already described-- 4-5 hours of life max; would discharge if left unused for 2 days or more. Firmware releases didn’t help.

After contacting Sansa support by phone, within 15 minutes they’d gathered enough info to know it was a defect. I had an email from them within hours, with instructions on how to return. Only cost to me was $1 for a padded envelope. The only downside was that it took a bit longer to get my new clip than I’d hoped. (About 12 days from the day I mailed my bad one UPS to the day my new one arrived, also UPS.) Still, not unreasonable.

I encourage anyone dealing with battery issues to call Support rather than waste time with a defective product.

Sounds like Sandisk has finally acknowledged that “they”  have a plrblem.  The Sandisk participation on this forum has been conspocuously absent on the threads that have dealt with the battery self-discharge issue. They were likely researching the problem & have chosen not to officially announce that there are defective units shipping. It’s understandable, but it is a shame that their reputation is taking a beating.

It’s their battery supplier that deserves the beating; this issue is no fault of the Clip’s design - or anything else SanDisk is directly responsible for.

Too bad the Clip is so difficult to disassemble; if only we could look at the battery, and share information about the “bad” ones and the “good” ones, it would probably even assist SanDisk in resolving the issue faster than accumulating RMA units and analyzing them…

Take it back and get a new one. No way should it drain that quickly.  The first clip I had would drain completely after 4-5 days of no use.  The guy at Bestbuy said that was normal but would give me a new on anyay.  He was wrong, it’s not normal.  My new one works perfectly.  NO battery drain. 

That’s absolutely correct.

The Clip requires a USB 2.0 port to charge fully. Unfortunately, in a USB 1.1 port, it will charge enough to last 4 to 6 hours.

So if ones battery only lasts 4 to 6 hours is it a battery problem or a USB port problem?

If one uses ones computer to charge ones player, check Device Manager (on XP, right click MyComputer, left click Manage, left click Device Manager). Open the USB Bus Serial Controllers. One will see several controllers and several hubs. Look for the word “Enhanced” in the name of one of the controllers. Enhanced controllers are USB 2.0.

Some desktops have USB 1.1 ports in front and USB 2.0 ports in back. So if the player does not fully charge in the front plug, try the back.

If one uses an external USB Hub to charge the player, verify the hub is USB 2.0 standard. If it is it will have an AC plug that need to plugged in while charging the player.

If none of the above helps, call Sandisk Technical Support.

Message Edited by Tweet on 03-02-2008 02:30 PM

Tomtom wrote:

Take it back and get a new one. No way should it drain that quickly.  The first clip I had would drain completely after 4-5 days of no use.  The guy at Bestbuy said that was normal

Yeah, from what you and others have said, that appears to be Best Buy’s stock response to this problem.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 02-29-2008 11:48 AM

Good for the consumer–assuming that there is a Best Buy nearby, that likely is the easiest thing to do.  Usually it’s the retailer/manufacturer who want the consumer to make sure the item truly is defective.

Miikerman wrote:

Good for the consumer–assuming that there is a Best Buy nearby, that likely is the easiest thing to do.  Usually it’s the retailer/manufacturer who want the consumer to make sure the item truly is defective.

I was referring to Best Buy saying that it’s “normal” for the battery to discharge like that.

Ah, got it.  It’s not.  Take it back.

:wink:

BestBuy should take it back, but if not, SanDisk Support will help. 1-866-SANDISK

I checked my computer and see that I do have a USB 2.0 port, but the way I’m reading it, it seems I only have 1 out of 8. How do I know which port is 2.0 and which are not?  I’m using the USB in the front of my Dell 2350 tower.  I previously had a Sansa e280 for over a year and no battery troubles using this exact port.  Now with my 2GB Clip, I am getting drain overnight or when not in use.  I started a test yesterday to verify what was at first just a sneaking suspicion.  Sure enough - over 3 hours of normal use I used up roughly 30% of the battery, which is about what I’d expect.  But then with 5 1/2 hours of NO use I lost another 7% and decided to try the trick of using the Hold button overnight.  An additional 11 hours overnight with it manually turned off plus using the Hold, I lost another 7% of battery life. That’s a total drain so far of 14% over 17 1/2 hours of non-use. So at this rate my player will be dead in well under a week of being left on a shelf.  Enough to be considered defective?  I bought it online through WalMart as a gift for my MIL but it was too small for her hands so I traded her my old e280 for the new Clip.  So I don’t have a receipt, but maybe the online records would be enough for an exchange??  Or would SanDisk support be a better route? 

OH, I forgot to mention, I started with 100% charge (so I don’t think I have any issue with my USB not fully charging my player) and I have the latest firmware .29.  I’m going to continue to check my battery level every 4 or 5 hours to see if the drain remains constant. 

My Clip doesn’t have any appreciable amount of drain even after weeks of non-use.  I’d exchange it.  You should be able to print out your Walmart receipt/invoice from online, although I think the Walmart return policy is only 2 weeks (or is it a month?) for electronics–you may need to contact SanDisk for an exchange.

Good luck!