slotRadio card song order in the Clip+

I recently purchased a new Sansa Clip+ to replace a 4 year-old obsolete Sansa that’d died. I was intrigued by the slotRadio card feature and since Radioshack had them on special, for $30, I picked one ('80s and '90s) up.

The marketing blurb for the cards says “songs are played in sequence and cannot be rewound or re-arranged”. That implied to me that the playlist, although fixed, is circular (i.e. repeats the same list over and over). To test this theory I’ve created an Excel spreadsheet and am documenting the song play order. What I’ve found so far is that many songs repeat and so far I don’t see a circular list–it appears somewhat random (although that’s what you’d expect).

Thus my question: are the channel  playlists fixed and circular or do they honor the players “randomize” setting? If they’re fixed/circular what’s the list length?

PS 1: The '80s and '90s card has 8 “channels” not the stated “7 Handcrafted Playlists”.

PS 2: The card has 63MB of writable area (“There is also a user area on the card where you can store up to one album’s worth of your own files.”).

PS 3: Every now and then the track “www.slotradio.org” plays an ad for slotRadio cards.

Message Edited by StuartMW on 11-27-2009 12:59 PM

Message Edited by StuartMW on 11-27-2009 01:17 PM

I read one post that claimed that each channel has three playlists with different orders for the songs in each playlist. The strange thing about Slotradio cards is that the place in each channel is stored on the card itself. I was listening to my Slotradio card on my Fuze and the power was running low. I turned off the Fuze, took out the card, and put it in my Clip+ and turned it on. Quite unexpectedly the Clip+ resumed where the card was playing, mid song!

@jk98 wrote:
I was listening to my Slotradio card on my Fuze and the power was running low. I turned off the Fuze, took out the card, and put it in my Clip+ and turned it on. Quite unexpectedly the Clip+ resumed where the card was playing, mid song!

That happens with each playlist, too.  It’s the best feature, imo.  I’ve removed the card a few times and reinserted it and it’ll always go back to the place where I left off.

Ok, I’ve found the playlist repeating (in the “Pop 80s” channel) after 378 (approximate–need to double check) tracks. The number of unique tracks is 154. Thus, on average, each song is repeated 2.45 times in the playlist.

As you can imagine this work is very tedious and sometimes the right arrow button bounces (more than one click) however it’s a guide.

Sandisk claims this card has 1000 songs so, on average, I’d expect around 125 unique songs per channel (1000/8). However I’ve already observed the same track in another channel.

@stuartmw wrote:

Ok, I’ve found the playlist repeating (in the “Pop 80s” channel) after 378 (approximate–need to double check) tracks. The number of unique tracks is 154. Thus, on average, each song is repeated 2.45 times in the playlist.

As you can imagine this work is very tedious and sometimes the right arrow button bounces (more than one click) however it’s a guide.

Sandisk claims this card has 1000 songs so, on average, I’d expect around 125 unique songs per channel (1000/8). However I’ve already observed the same track in another channel.

Just remembered, mikeinkaty had posted a list of top 40 songs from 1958 to 2008.  Here’s the link.  He posted the list in a text file and an excel file.  I had saved it onto my computer and it’s quite an extensive list!  There should be many, if not all, of those songs in the 80’s and 90’s card.