Shuffle Mode "Broken"

There still seems to be dissatisfaction with the Clip’s shuffle function - which I share.  Here is the way I’d anticipate a mp3 player’s shuffle function to work:

After an event which causes a database reload (such as connecting to the computer to load or delete songs, or a manual reset of the Clip) a random playlist gets generated.  This stays with the Clip when it’s turned off either by inaction or manually, and followed until every song on the Clip gets played once without repeat.  Since a 2GB Clip can have 32 hours of music at 128 bitrate, that means that the Clip will need charging at least once during the cycle.  Therefore charging should not affect the random playlist, either.

This is important to me since I’ll set the Clip to shuffle through a bunch of newly acquired albums mixed in with some old favorites, and I’d like to hear ALL the new material this way.

I’m using firmware 01.01.29A, and I’m getting several repeats during what I’d expect to be a “cycle”.  The only things I’m doing are pausing, powering down and (rarely) using the seek buttons to replay a song already played.   Apparantly some of these actions alter the “random playlist”.  Does this jive with others’ experience and expectations here regarding a “non-broken” shuffle?

Marc

2GB Clip -> SoundMagic PL-30 IEMs (on order)

You may have some duplicates there.  The shuffle works as you have described it. The order is preserved over power cycles,  you can verify this yourself.  If you toggle shuffle off and on it reshuffles.  If you start a new list it reshuffles.  IIf you use the FM radio it may reshufflle , unless you use “Play Previous”  present on Firmware 1.01.30.

Message Edited by sansafix on 10-07-2008 08:42 AM

Charging will not disturb the list unless you add or delete content which will rebuild the database.  To be certain,  use an AC charger.

Thanks Sansafix.  I don’t have duplicate copies of the same songs; I don’t toggle shuffle on and off; I don’t use playlists or Go Lists; neither do I use the FM radio.  Oh, and unless I’m managing the Clip with a computer, all my recharging is done off computer with a mini-USB charger.   I’ve seen other posters (most recently here http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=10582#M10582) complaining about the shuffle function, so I assume I’m not the only one which, for whatever reason, shuffle dousn’t work the way you intended.

For that matter, I also occasionally get the lowering volume of a song, such that when I tap the volume rocker up once it the volume actually increases the equivelent of between 5 to 10 taps.

I posted about this before. I have over 250 songs (not dupes) and when I play through them all on Shuffle it’s like the songs are picked out a hat and put back in - the same song might get picked again before any other song gets played. It’s quite annoying and I hope it can be fixed!

Message Edited by ackers on 10-08-2008 06:49 AM

@mg_bert wrote:

Thanks Sansafix.  I don’t have duplicate copies of the same songs; I don’t toggle shuffle on and off; I don’t use playlists or Go Lists; neither do I use the FM radio.  Oh, and unless I’m managing the Clip with a computer, all my recharging is done off computer with a mini-USB charger.   I’ve seen other posters (most recently here http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&view=by_date_ascending&message.id=10582#M10582) complaining about the shuffle function, so I assume I’m not the only one which, for whatever reason, shuffle dousn’t work the way you intended.

For that matter, I also occasionally get the lowering volume of a song, such that when I tap the volume rocker up once it the volume actually increases the equivelent of between 5 to 10 taps.

The posts you have seen were related to the old firmware, the shuffle problem was fixed in the .29 firmware.  Or at least, to me, the shuffle works as expected now, only resets when I connect to my pc.

The volume thing has happened to me on 2 different clips.  It seems to happen between tracks, the last will have been playing correctly and the next track will be playing much lower.  I don’t know what caused it but i would recommend pressing the volume down (which brings it back to 1 below the volume of the previous track) rather than up… just stops it giving me a shock when it comes back too loud!!  Only happens once or twice a week with daily use so it doesn’t really bother me that much.  Have noticed it a little more frequently on the newest firmware but not to the point where it’s too annoying.

Maybe best way to do that is use some media player on PC to generate playlist.

In foobar2000 (which I use) it would be like this (if you use Clip in MSC mode) - Drag&Drop all music to foobar2000, Edit->Sort->Randomize, File->Save Playlist->enter name and choose “m3u” as type->Save it in MUSIC folder.

Then just enter playlist on Clip and set Shuffle to OFF. There will be no repeats and even in case you are afraid that Database Refresh will happen you can just write down song name you’re listening and after Database Refreh just start playing from that song :slight_smile: