Scratches on my new Sansa Fuze

I just bought the Sansa Fuze 2GB the day after christmas for myself, and theres already a bunch of scratches on the screen. The scratches arn’t very deep, but does anyone know how I can remove these scratches?

Message Edited by silentevil on 12-31-2008 11:18 AM

Wow already, that really ■■■■■.    If it came that way, take it back immediately.  Otherwise, gently clean it and hope there isnt any true scratches and get a case asap to prevent any further damage.

Well, it didnt cme with the scratches, I mean that over the couple of days, it got scratches on the screen.

Also, ive tried cleaning it, and it didnt work, so I know its actuall scratches.

I still have the reciept so I could take it back if all else fails…

There are a variety of methods suggested to removes scratches in many different threads already here. Use the search box. They range from using toothpaste to commercial aircraft-quality plastic polishes and abrasives.

If you put the scratches on there, why should the store take it back? They didn’t damage it, you did. :angry:

Hey, it’s acrylic, and it will scratch.  Luckily, it polishes up well.  The Fuze has a slightly different surface than the e200 series, but a light polish should do the trick.

Look into a thin film type screen protector.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

This has been talked to death on forums WRT scratches on CD’s.

THere are basically 2 choices.  

1. polish (abrade) the whole surface down to the depth of the scratch, finishing with an abrasive fine enough to restore the shine.

2. Fill the scratch with something transparent with a similar index of refraction, like wax.

Prevention is always better than trying to apply a “fix”.  I have 2 fuzes with not a scratch on either.  As soon as I opened the retail box, I applied a screen protector and slipped the fuze in a rubberized case.  Not only are fuzes protected, I like the “grippy” feel that the cases give to the product.

Any plastic (or mutant variant, therof) is going to scratch if left unprotected.  That’s why these protective products exist.

I agree prevention is the best bet but since its too late I would recomend a Product called FogZero. It is designed for use on Hoecky and Paintball masks and the like, but It is also used as a scratch remover on these things. I tried it on my fuze and it worked well. If you have a local paintball supply store or a Hockey supply store check there to get it. You cant order it from their website right now but here is the Link anyhow

I got scratches on my old player,

On the new one, I got an “Invisible Shield” protector right away.  About 10 bucks.  I have been very impressed after several months of use.

https://www.zagg.com/

When you get the scratches cleaned up with Novus Plastic Polish, or something like that, consider the screen protector I mentioned.

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

I got scratches on my old player,

On the new one, I got an “Invisible Shield” protector right away.  About 10 bucks.  I have been very impressed after several months of use.

https://www.zagg.com/

When you get the scratches cleaned up with Novus Plastic Polish, or something like that, consider the screen protector I mentioned.

Black Dog How many do you get for the 10 bucks? More importantly How long does one last? Will it hold up to going in and out of my pocket and changes in the weather?

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Prevention is always better than trying to apply a “fix”.  I have 2 fuzes with not a scratch on either.  As soon as I opened the retail box, I applied a screen protector and slipped the fuze in a rubberized case.  Not only are fuzes protected, I like the “grippy” feel that the cases give to the product.

Any plastic (or mutant variant, therof) is going to scratch if left unprotected.  That’s why these protective products exist.

I didn’t think of a screen protecter until later, but luckily didn’t need it at first.  I did after though and am glad I got them.  I just found a package at walmart for about $5, has about 5 but can use one for 2 or 3 covers (not sure as I’ve used it for other things too).

I also got the silicon cover for it and am also happy with it.  It fell on the restroom tile face down, but did not damage it.  And the silicon is still intact (unlike the complete plastic covers, which can be nice, but can break too).  Best $10 I spent. 

Dalaug what were they called I am looking and thats the best price I’ve heard.

I had a scratch across the screen and bought a protector from Zagg.com and now I can’t see the scratch at all.  I bought the whole unit protector for aprox $17.  Just google search for Zagg.com coupons and you’ll find one.  To this point I’m extremely happy with their products.  I bought screen protectors for my son’d DS and the protectors work great, very durable and easy to clean.  Hope this helps, Good luck.

Has anyone here actually used Novus on their Sansa Fuze?  I tried it and either I haven’t taken enough time on it or my cloth is too abrasive (I’m using what they gave me), but my big scratches are gone and I just have a lot of tiny scratches now.  It’s not supposed to work on everything.  Some coated plastics aren’t supposed to be used with the scratch removers (2 & 3).  That could be the case here.

Message Edited by TastyWheat on 05-16-2009 08:35 PM

Polishing plastics?  I’ve polished a few pieces

A while back, I mentioned a few helpful hints.  Removing swirls takes patience, and a bit of practice.  You’ll find that baby diapers are wonderful, slightly moist, with a wee bit of polish, for that last step.  We’d routinely scuff up the domes at the pilots’ feet with fine particles blown up during landings, and I’d admonish the boys against rubbing their nomex-clad hands against the door windows, since there’s always dirt embedded in those gloves.

The Novus polish is great as preparations go, or the readily available Meguiar’s 10 and 11 pair.  I learned the ropes in the early 70s on the Ercoupe.

Coatings are a problem, but once polished, you are dealing with acrylic, or polycarbonate.  Lexan is the toughest surface, hard as the proverbial nail.

By happenstance, I discovered the Invisible Shield type product on the UH1H Super Huey when updating the main rotor, as the plastic sheeting is used on the leading edge of the composite rotor wing.  Once polished, a screen protector is very nice.  Remember, the adhesive layer on that sheeting will fill the fine swirls for you.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 05-18-2009 07:40 AM

Some great ideas so far.I ran across this also:

http://www.dapreview.net/p/forum/forum\_viewtopic.php?79892

Thought it may help