Sansa Updater Fails to install

I just recieved my Fuze today and I am having trouble installing the updater. When I launch the .exe file I get the set up file, select language and agree to the terms.

Internet connection checks, computer version checks (xp pro sp3) but downloading latest Sansa updater fails. I am an admin on this computer. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Don’t bother. Go to the sticky and do it manually: download fuzea.bin and sent it to the Fuze’s root directory.

Why would you want the updater calling home every time you connect, when updates are once every few months at best?

Black-Rectangle Thanks, I did that already but I would like the option of trying the updater for myself. Your solution is not really a solution to the problem.

The updater is failing to get the latest version therefore it doesn’t install. Is it a problem with my computer or is it a problem with Sansa?

Message Edited by Stogie on 03-27-2010 08:58 AM

Always blame the firewall first for these types of failures.  :wink:

@stogie wrote:

Black-Rectangle Thanks, I did that already but I would like the option of trying the updater for myself. Your solution is not really a solution to the problem.

The updater is failing to get the latest version therefore it doesn’t install. Is it a problem with my computer or is it a problem with Sansa?

Message Edited by Stogie on 03-27-2010 08:58 AM

You’ll be hard pressed to find anyone to give you a different answer. Just don’t use it.

I spent many days getting my sansa fuze to download its program, constantly telling me the download had failed try it again,  fortunately I had bought a 2 year warranty and was ready to take it back, I happened to go into “settings” clicked on “reset to factory setting” WHILE MY SANSA FUZE WAS PLUGGED INTO MY USB PORT and lo and behold all of a sudden there it appeared on “My Computer” allowing me to download the music I had ready to be downloaded!!! It downloaded, and today it is working like a charm, know  very little about pc technology but hey this is what happened to me, perhaps you can try this, and see if it works for you.

Would love to hear from you, if it worked.

The updater does three things: allows you to update firmware, download manual, and download Sansa Media Converter (SMC). You can already get the first two manually.

<shovel>

The most common reason for the updater to fail is it’s blocked by a firewall. It also works only for good people. So if you’ve tried everything and it still doesn’t work, then you are probably not good enough. Try catching up on your Hail Marys. Go out and do some community service, etc.

If the updater has decreed your PC unworthy, you can also try another PC, or post a pic of your mournful 3-yr old waiting for his Seka^H^H^H^H Snowwhite to be magically transported into his little player. Fine knights are to be found for a worthy kiddie in distress.

Some may say that SMC isn’t worth the trouble, but I think it’s a good app. To test your intestinal fortitude. Not too many app can say that nowaday.

Not to worry about being inundated with bothersome updates. The current SMC version, .256, has withstood the tests of time since 2008. With our good grace, it will continue to serve with distinction for many more years. I feel reassured that such fine piece of software can be so enduring. It’s a constancy I hold on to in the face of life’s vagaries.

</shovel>

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:56 PM

Thanks Tom, as an non expert on technical terms dealing with a pc, it is the language that I often do not understand I saw your SMC and thanks for telling me what it meant.  All I wanted to do was my dooflikkie to work, or else take it back, interesting you mention firewalls, again something I know nothing about, but I did have an up to date security system installed provided by Ma Bell, so no doubt this had something to do with my problem, not to mention the hours and hours I spent farting around trying to get this to work.

So you are telling me I no longer need to keep this updater on my pc, seeing my Sansa Fuze is working on my pc?

Thanks Tom

Sandisk may introduce a new software update via the updater. World peace may happen tomorrow.