Sansa Store 4GB Clip Return Policy?

Anybody have any experience with returning a player purchased online at the sansa store?

http://go.shopsansa.com/Customers/sansa/sansaPlayers_html/clip.html

After reading the fine print of the “30 day satisfaction guarenteed” policy:

http://go.shopsansa.com/Help/ReturnPolicy.aspx

it appears that this “satisfaction guarenteed” policy applies only if the Clip is unopened.  After trying out the clip I realize it will not work for the reason I purchased it, namely outdoor workouts, due to the illegible screen when using it outdoors.

So, I guess I’m stuck with it and am unable to return it to Sansa? I guess I was supposed to test it from INSIDE the packaging? The “guarantee” policy makes no sense to me.

Anybody have any experience with returns to the Sansa store? Thanks.

Maybe by “unopened” they mean that the case has not been opened. :smiley: Otherwise they need to change the name “Satisfaction guaranteed”.

“If you are unsatisfied with your purchase and the merchandise is unopened we will be happy to return it for you.” What a rediculous statement!

I would speak with SanDisk Customer Service; given the reason for the return and the known issue, they may be able to help you.

(And do let us know what happens here–I can’t even tell if SanDisk gives more than store “credit” for a return.) 

Message Edited by Miikerman on 03-11-2008 10:49 PM

@miikerman wrote:

I would speak with SanDisk Customer Service; given the reason for the return and the known issue, they may be able to help you.

(And do let us know what happens here–I can’t even tell if SanDisk gives more than store “credit” for a return.) 

Miikerman: Good point about credit vs. a refund. The policy is unclear, perhaps deliberately.

Your suggestion of speaking with Sandisk customer service sounds reasonable, other than the fact that Sansa does not reveal any telephone #'s available to consumers, that I can find. They only reveal an email address, and I honestly expected a more prompte answer from this forum, than from a bulk, generic corporate email address.

Are you aware of a Sansa Customer Service phone number?

CalKidWilly

So much for the Sansa “30 Day Satisfaction Gaurentee!”  I learned my lesson in this transaction- Don’t do business with the Sansa store and do purchase from a retail source with a “real” return policy.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=11 ; that link is stickied on the top and explains what to do in regarsd to contacting support.

It sounds like your just not happy with the product (of which i can understand) but based on SanDisk warranty, they will exchange the product for an even exchange. (which, needless to say, wont solve your problem)

But maybe something can be figured out, give it a shot.

@enigma wrote:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=11 ; that link is stickied on the top and explains what to do in regarsd to contacting support.

It sounds like your just not happy with the product (of which i can understand) but based on SanDisk warranty, they will exchange the product for an even exchange. (which, needless to say, wont solve your problem)

But maybe something can be figured out, give it a shot.

Enigma: Thanks for the directions to the Sandisk #. I’ll give them a call and inquire.

Sorry if I come across in my posts as bitter! I do like the Clip, but the inability to navigate it outside is a show-stopper for my needs. And I am indeed bitter about the Sansa “30 Day Satisfaction Gaurentee” BS policy, if they refuse to accept a returned Clip that has been opened.

@calkid wrote:

Your suggestion of speaking with Sandisk customer service sounds reasonable, other than the fact that Sansa does not reveal any telephone #'s available to consumers, that I can find. They only reveal an email address, and I honestly expected a more prompte answer from this forum, than from a bulk, generic corporate email address.

Are you aware of a Sansa Customer Service phone number?

Strangely enough, a phone number can be found by going to Sandisk’s website, and clicking on the “Contact Us” link.

@miikerman wrote:

Sansa Store Buyer’s Beware: No Returns are Available on the Clip! So much for the “30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee!”

See Sansa Customer Service reply below:

Dear Customer,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your order
recently placed with Shopsansa.com.

In response to your inquiry, unfortunately being the product has been
open we are unable to accept the return.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Go.ShopSansa.com
Customer Service

csv@shopsansa.com

Maybe Sansa should talk with the 4GB Clip reps on this forum, who acknowledge the flaw in their product (can’t read the screen in daylight).

Yeah, like people have said, it makes absolutely no sense to give a “satisfaction” guarantee on an unopened product.

This policy (read, absurdity) seems to be not uncommon when buying directly from a manufacturer, even though returns tend to be the norm in the U.S. when buying from the manufacturer’s retailers.  I’ve never understood that, except the manf. doesn’t want the hassles that retailers live with.  (But then, IMHO, the manf. shouldn’t do direct sales.)

@miikerman wrote:

This policy (read, absurdity) seems to be not uncommon when buying directly from a manufacturer, even though returns tend to be the norm in the U.S. when buying from the manufacturer’s retailers.  I’ve never understood that, except the manf. doesn’t want the hassles that retailers live with.  (But then, IMHO, the manf. shouldn’t do direct sales.)

Agreed, but to call it a 30 day “satisfaction guaranteed” policy is almost misleading.  Very few people would think that this does anything other than imply that you have 30 days to try the product and, if you’re not satisfied, you can return it.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Agreed, but to call it a 30 day “satisfaction guaranteed” policy is almost misleading.  Very few people would think that this does anything other than imply that you have 30 days to try the product and, if you’re not satisfied, you can return it.

Promised Planet: I agree with your assessment. This was my assumption when I made the purchase and saw the “30 Day Satisfaction Gaurantee” in bold typeface on the Sansa online store website.

What further compounds the consumer’s Catch-22 predicament, or at least mine, in this situation is the fact that the 4GB Clip was unavailable to me from any other sources at the time I placed the order (Amazon excepted, as far as I know. But they have delayed shipping issues vs. the mfr., Sandisk/Sansa). 

Where the heck is the logic in the “you can only return the product if you don’t open it” policy? I actually intentionally purchased from the product mfr., believing that they would honor a return without hassles, vs. some retailers who you can expect hassles from when returning a product. Furthermore, the Sansa reps on this site acknowledge the design flaw in the Clip that was shipped to consumers (namely the screen viewing problem in daylight due to the reflective glossy screen). And how was I to know this without trying when it was shipped?

In the end, shame on me for failing to read the fine print on the Sansa website regarding the return policy. But shame on Sansa for such a consumer unfriendly policy.

Am I being unreasonable to Sansa in this post?

I agree with both of you–my only point was that manufacturers who have website stores seem to do this, when you would think that if anyone wouldn’t, it would be them.  It also penalizes one for being an early adapter by buying at the manf.'s website, rather than waiting until b&m stores have the item.

@calkid wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Promised Planet: I agree with your assessment. This was my assumption when I made the purchase and saw the “30 Day Satisfaction Gaurantee” in bold typeface on the Sansa online store website.

What further compounds the consumer’s Catch-22 predicament, or at least mine, in this situation is the fact that the 4GB Clip was unavailable to me from any other sources at the time I placed the order (Amazon excepted, as far as I know. But they have delayed shipping issues vs. the mfr., Sandisk/Sansa). 

Where the heck is the logic in the “you can only return the product if you don’t open it” policy? I actually intentionally purchased from the product mfr., believing that they would honor a return without hassles, vs. some retailers who you can expect hassles from when returning a product. Furthermore, the Sansa reps on this site acknowledge the design flaw in the Clip that was shipped to consumers (namely the screen viewing problem in daylight due to the reflective glossy screen). And how was I to know this without trying when it was shipped?

In the end, shame on me for failing to read the fine print on the Sansa website regarding the return policy. But shame on Sansa for such a consumer unfriendly policy.

Sansa is being unreasonable.  “Satisfaction Guaranteed” should mean satisfaction guaranteed.  Maybe if you shook/beat the box hard enough you could of turned it on.  Then if you smashed the box up against your ear hard enough, you could have tested it out.

Even though you shouldn’t have to, you can always sell it on ebay, and hopefully not lose too much money :neutral_face:

@calkid wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Sansa is being unreasonable.  “Satisfaction Guaranteed” should mean satisfaction guaranteed.  Maybe if you shook/beat the box hard enough you could of turned it on.  Then if you smashed the box up against your ear hard enough, you could have tested it out before opening it.

Even though you shouldn’t have to, you can always sell it on ebay, and hopefully not lose too much money :neutral_face:

@calkid wrote:

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable at all.  From what I’ve read on the 4gb brightness issue Sandisk basically made an “oops!” in bringing this one to market with an inherint design flaw . . .granted, only a design flaw for those who want to use it outside.  But that could be a lot of “fitness buffs.”  I just copied this from the Sandisk clip webpage - quote, “Perfect for the fitness buff” . . .yeah, well some fitness buffs.  Since my only use is basically outside, I’d be royally PO’d if I already had one.  I think you’re being pretty calm & reasonable with your comments.

If Sandisk won’t take care of early adoptors who come back & say, “hey, my primary use is outdoors and this product just won’t work for me. . .”  Then I believe a lot of consumers may rethink who they spend their money with.  I’m still going to order a 2gb 'cause it’s only 50 bucks. . .But honestly, down the road I’ll think long & hard before buying a more expensive player (or other product) from them

Calkid, I feel your pain. . .I know how it is getting a new “toy”  It’s fun & exciting . . .then a real drag if it turns into a big negative experience.  Sorry to hear it’s gone south.  .  .(at least now you can be off the hook for sounding “unreasonable toward Sandisk” - I probably just took over on that one!)

Message Edited by RideBikes on 03-13-2008 04:18 AM

Well, this is interesting.

How about a few ideas then? 

The 4GB Clip is working, so: 

1. Firmware update soon, as sansafix suggested, the brightness will be

“kicked up” a bit.

2. Someone here may wish to purchase your 4GB.

3, eBay. Be sure to inform them that your clip transforms into a iPod Shuffle

when outside.

I’d contact SanDisk via telephone and see what the possibilities are.  I see that the eBox is slower than snail mail.

Bob  :wink:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-13-2008 06:44 AM

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-13-2008 06:45 AM

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-13-2008 06:46 AM

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 03-13-2008 06:46 AM

All,

Thanks for the sympathy and the shoulders to cry on. Fortunately for me, the $160 is not that big of a financial deal (I purchased two Clips), it’s more the principle of the matter in the transaction with the Sansa online store. I do think their “30 Day Satisfaction Gauranteed!” policy is misleading BSThe policy is particularly unreasonable in the case of the 4GB Clip, which was shipped with a design flaw unbeknownst to we consumers when we ordered them (and apparently the design flaw was unknown to Sansa until we consumers actually used the product outdoors). So much for building brand reputation, customer loyalty and goodwill, Sansa! (Note Apples’ agreement to replace thousands of defective Nanos at no cost to Apple customers, Sansa). 

My bad experience in this transaction with Sansa and my communication on this forum may at least result in some shame and embarrassment for those affiliated with Sansa and the shoddy policy, and may provide other prospective Sansa online store customers with adequate forewarning and reluctance before doing business with Sansa.

Message Edited by calkid on 03-13-2008 08:26 AM

You may be able to return the 4 item yet. I was (one of) the first whom discovered the magical no outdoors policy of the 4 gig clip. From advice of the sansa techs, I took pictures comparing the 2 gig clip and the 4 gig clip under the same brightness conditions (posted on an older forum page). I was told that my unit may be defective, so they were allowing me to return it for an exchange.

After I sent the unit back, I decided to purchase an ipoop nano 3rd gen (which you can clearly see outside by the way) and no longer wanted the clip. I called back and told them I didn’t want the exchange, but wanted my money back. This is in process and so far they have seemingly agreed.

What you may want to try is this:

1. Call them and tell them yours is defective because it is too dim. Get them to exchange it for a new unit (it will take 1-2 weeks for them to process and exchange the unit anyway).
  2. Call back and tell them you don’t want the hassle because you are worried the next one will also be too dim and you want your money back instead.
  3. If that doesn’t work, just wait until the new one arrives and now you have a new “unopened” sansa clip which conforms to their return policy (depending on the 30 days issue).
  4. If they still won’t take it back, at least you have an opened clip which is more valuable than a used clip on the open market (ie craigslist/ebay).

I hope it works!
Mike

Message Edited by mkoplow on 03-13-2008 09:46 AM

@mkoplow wrote:
You may be able to return the 4 item yet. I was (one of) the first whom discovered the magical no outdoors policy of the 4 gig clip. From advice of the sansa techs, I took pictures comparing the 2 gig clip and the 4 gig clip under the same brightness conditions (posted on an older forum page). I was told that my unit may be defective, so they were allowing me to return it for an exchange.

After I sent the unit back, I decided to purchase an ipoop nano 3rd gen (which you can clearly see outside by the way) and no longer wanted the clip. I called back and told them I didn’t want the exchange, but wanted my money back. This is in process and so far they have seemingly agreed.

What you may want to try is this:

1. Call them and tell them yours is defective because it is too dim. Get them to exchange it for a new unit (it will take 1-2 weeks for them to process and exchange the unit anyway).
  2. Call back and tell them you don’t want the hassle because you are worried the next one will also be too dim and you want your money back instead.
  3. If that doesn’t work, just wait until the new one arrives and now you have a new “unopened” sansa clip which conforms to their return policy (depending on the 30 days issue).
  4. If they still won’t take it back, at least you have an opened clip which is more valuable than a used clip on the open market (ie craigslist/ebay).

I hope it works!
Mike
Message Edited by mkoplow on 03-13-2008 09:46 AM

MK: A very clever and creative tactic you propose!   I agree about the “iPoop” outdoor visibility. I own a 5th gen Nano video, shuffle, classic, etc. The 4GB Clip was my first adventure into the Sansa brand.

Thanks for the suggestion and your creativity. That approach just might work.

CalKidWilly