Sansa Store 4GB Clip Return Policy?

calkid wrote:   I do think their “30 Day Satisfaction Gauranteed!” policy is misleading BSThe policy is particularly unreasonable in the case of the 4GB Clip, which was shipped with a design flaw unbeknownst to we consumers when we ordered them

The way you have described it, I think you are absolutely right!!  Well said…

I feel for you.  I was really looking forward to using the device while running and paid for next day shipping the first day it was available on the sansa store.  Boy was I disappointed when I tried running with it.  I accidentally went into some submenu outside and couldn’t get it to play anymore because I couldn’t see what I was doing.  Hulk felt mad!  It was very disappointing.

My pictures are located here if you want to have proof about the dimness problem when you call sansa.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikekoplow/SansaClipScreen

Also feel free to make an angry ranting webpage about the 4 gig clip.  One person can make a difference!  In my experience the 2 gig clip worked well enough outside.  It wasn’t bright like the ipoop (in fact I wouldn’t call it bright), but if you placed it out of the direct light, at least you could navigate to get to your playlists.

Mike

@mkoplow wrote:
I feel for you.  I was really looking forward to using the device while running and paid for next day shipping the first day it was available on the sansa store.  Boy was I disappointed when I tried running with it.  I accidentally went into some submenu outside and couldn’t get it to play anymore because I couldn’t see what I was doing.  Hulk felt mad!  It was very disappointing.

My pictures are located here if you want to have proof about the dimness problem when you call sansa.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikekoplow/SansaClipScreen

Also feel free to make an angry ranting webpage about the 4 gig clip.  One person can make a difference!  In my experience the 2 gig clip worked well enough outside.  It wasn’t bright like the ipoop (in fact I wouldn’t call it bright), but if you placed it out of the direct light, at least you could navigate to get to your playlists.

Mike

MK: Thanks for the photos post. I may have to make use of those.

I’ve had the same frustrating experience as you describe when using my Clip outdoors (which is ~ 75% of my use). If you get lost ( due to the need to “fly blind” ) in the Clip menus, you are cursing the thing all the way home, missing your motivating tunes!

Message Edited by calkid on 03-13-2008 11:01 AM

All,

We are in process to test the next release of Sansa Clip firmware which will help this issue.  The brightness will be increased up to 2X with little impact to your battery life.  Also the OLED will turn off after USB connection with no activity after one hour.

It will also implement a requested new feature:

auto-bookmarking for Podcasts and Audiobooks. THis feature will be available for all the Sansa Clip players.

Thanks,
SansaFix

@sansafix wrote:
All,

We are in process to test the next release of Sansa Clip firmware which will help this issue.  The brightness will be increased up to 2X with little impact to your battery life.  Also the OLED will turn off after USB connection with no activity after one hour.

It will also implement a requested new feature:

auto-bookmarking for Podcasts and Audiobooks. THis feature will be available for all the Sansa Clip players.

Thanks,
SansaFix

Sansafix: Thanks for your encouraging post. Many of us you have heard from are having the same problem navigating Clip menus in daylight, as you’ve read. And many appear to eagerly await the auto-bookmarking feature as well. I have a healthy skepticism, however, based upon your previous posts on this issue, that the firmware upgrade will fix the daylight legibility issue, but I am certainly willing to give the fix a good faith try.

One of the dilemna’s waiting for this potential fix presents me/us with is: we wait for the upgrade to be released to determine if the problem gets fixed and meantime our “30 Day Satisfaction Gaurantee!” (such as it is) time window deadline expires, leaving us with no options if the problem is not resolved to our satisfaction?

Any suggestions?

If your primary consideration in the product is outdoor usability you will still be best off getting a 2 GB.

Here is my result:

Indoors the 4 GB screen works great and is very readable with the firmware fix.

In outdoors in the shade I can read the 4GB screen with the firmware fix. It appears dimmer than the 2 GB however.  Without the firmware fix, I cannot read the 4 GB in the shade.

In bright sun I can not read the 4GB screen with the fix, and I can barely read the  2 GB screen.

Overall

I find the 4 GB capacity to be a big advantage, so I can sync more Rhapsody Channels :).  I can also Load up my playlist and go for a run outdoors, and generally dont need to do much navigation, I can pause,  skip tracks, adjust volume, all without needing to look at the screen.

With the firmware fix,  you will be able to navigate the 4GB unit in the shade,  but not in bright sun.

Message Edited by sansafix on 03-13-2008 02:10 PM

Message Edited by sansafix on 03-13-2008 02:11 PM

Thanks Sansafix for the real data.  I unfortunately already made my decision to switch to an ipoop, but at least it is promising for others.  2 gigs may be enough to run with, but would be tough as a primary player.

@sansafix wrote:
If your primary consideration in the product is outdoor usability you will still be best off getting a 2 GB.

Message Edited by sansafix on 03-13-2008 02:10 PM

Message Edited by sansafix on 03-13-2008 02:11 PM

Sansafix: Your help is appreciated. OK, as you suggest the 2 GB is acknowledged (after the release of the 4GB Clip) to be the better product for outdoor use. So now I’m left to deal with the wacky Sansa “30 Day Satisfaction Gaurantee!” policy Catch-22 absuridity.  Maybe somebody (you?) affiliated with Sansa will acknowledge that some Sansa customers have a legitimate need to return the 4GB Clip that was shipped to consumers with this design flaw?

I have brought the matter to the attention of the relevant parties.

Sansafix, can the display coating presumably causing the brightness problem be removed?

I’m not Sansafix, and I don’t play him on TV, but I’ll anticipate his answer …

“No.”  :wink:  Or, “not easily.”

The part of the front of the Clip that’s directly in front of the screen isn’t separate from the front of the Clip itself … it’s all one entire piece.  You can actually run your fingernail along the edge of it, it feels like a very thin but very solid piece that covers the entire front.  “Peel” that away (if it’s even possible) and you’d likely expose the insides of the Clip, or at least the deeper portions of the front controls.  You’d likely have a very ugly and (at least slightly) damaged Clip.

Promised Planet is correct.  It is possible to remove the lens very carefully using a xacto, but it could break.  You would need another lens to place over it, possibly from a 1 GB clip.

The reflective film cannot be removed from the back of the lens its screened on.