Sansa shipping HELL - is Sandisk fraudulent or incompetent?

OK folks, I just registered for the forums for the sole purpose of letting everyone know that Sandisk is completely incapable of shipping to Canada. I am INCREDIBLY mad right now, but will try to remain civil and factual.

On Thursday, March 19, I ordered an 8GB Fuze player from ca.sandisk.com. The only available shipping option was $14, 2-day delivery. The website stated that orders received after 5pm EST would be shipped the following day. My order was placed just before 2pm EST, so I was hoping to see the player the following Monday (Assuming two business days).

The next day I received notice that the item had just been shipped by UPS standard service (one week delivery!) from the USA. UPSes tracking information showed that it would be arriving the following _Friday_.

Friday came and went. UPS never showed up. When I called, they said that they ran into bad weather in Winnipeg (understandable), and that it would be delivered the following Monday. They also said that there was $40.96 owing on it!

A weekend of trying to get hold of Sandisk was fruitless. The phone number included in my confirmation email (1-877-411-8330) was “unavailable from my calling area.” The email address given on the invoice confirmation site (webhelp.v4@digitalriver.com) got an automated response of “we do not read this email anymore.” Calls to other numbers and questions submitted to the website went into the void.

Finally on Monday, UPS showed up and demanded the $40.96. I refused delivery and phoned Sandisk’s tech support number (1-866-726-3475). They confirmed that there should NOT have been any further UPS charges, and that the order was supposed to be shipped with two-day delivery. They apologized, then said that the charges would be sorted out, and the item would be delivered the following day.

Tuesday came and went. Nothing arrived. I phoned back, and was told that they would straighten things out, and contact me in ‘24-48 hours.’.

Wednesday evening, they phoned and said that it had all been cleared up, and the item would be delivered the following day.

When nothing was delivered on Thursday, I called UPS. They claimed to have had no contact with Sandisk since the original delivery was refused on Monday. I called Sandisk back, and they said they would straighten everything out, and would deliver the item probably Friday or Monday. Since I’m going out of town this weekend, I insisted that they deliver on Friday. They agreed, and GUARANTEED that it would be at my door on Friday.

It’s now 13:00 MDT on Friday, and UPS still doesn’t have a record of the item leaving for delivery. Sandisk lied to me again yesterday. I am going to be cancelling my order (and good riddance!), but I also intend to file a claim with Office of Consumer Affairs and the RECOL divison of the RCMP for fraudulent sales.

@ex_sansaite wrote:

OK folks, I just registered for the forums for the sole purpose of letting everyone know that Sandisk is completely incapable of shipping to Canada. I am INCREDIBLY mad right now, but will try to remain civil and factual.

On Thursday, March 19, I ordered an 8GB Fuze player from ca.sandisk.com. The only available shipping option was $14, 2-day delivery. The website stated that orders received after 5pm EST would be shipped the following day. My order was placed just before 2pm EST, so I was hoping to see the player the following Monday (Assuming two business days).

The next day I received notice that the item had just been shipped by UPS standard service (one week delivery!) from the USA. UPSes tracking information showed that it would be arriving the following _Friday_.

Friday came and went. UPS never showed up. When I called, they said that they ran into bad weather in Winnipeg (understandable), and that it would be delivered the following Monday. They also said that there was $40.96 owing on it!

A weekend of trying to get hold of Sandisk was fruitless. The phone number included in my confirmation email (1-877-411-8330) was “unavailable from my calling area.” The email address given on the invoice confirmation site (webhelp.v4@digitalriver.com) got an automated response of “we do not read this email anymore.” Calls to other numbers and questions submitted to the website went into the void.

Finally on Monday, UPS showed up and demanded the $40.96. I refused delivery and phoned Sandisk’s tech support number (1-866-726-3475). They confirmed that there should NOT have been any further UPS charges, and that the order was supposed to be shipped with two-day delivery. They apologized, then said that the charges would be sorted out, and the item would be delivered the following day.

Tuesday came and went. Nothing arrived. I phoned back, and was told that they would straighten things out, and contact me in ‘24-48 hours.’.

Wednesday evening, they phoned and said that it had all been cleared up, and the item would be delivered the following day.

When nothing was delivered on Thursday, I called UPS. They claimed to have had no contact with Sandisk since the original delivery was refused on Monday. I called Sandisk back, and they said they would straighten everything out, and would deliver the item probably Friday or Monday. Since I’m going out of town this weekend, I insisted that they deliver on Friday. They agreed, and GUARANTEED that it would be at my door on Friday.

It’s now 13:00 MDT on Friday, and UPS still doesn’t have a record of the item leaving for delivery. Sandisk lied to me again yesterday. I am going to be cancelling my order (and good riddance!), but I also intend to file a claim with Office of Consumer Affairs and the RECOL divison of the RCMP for fraudulent sales.

Make sure you report UPS too. I have had experiances in the US where I know the company I was dealing with Called UPS(I was on the line at the same time), and cleared things up and When I called UPS back, they claimed not having contact with the company. Its a shame that you have had such a bad experiance. Good luck with your next player. May I ask… Why not go to an electronics store and buy one in person?

“Make sure you report UPS too. I have had experiances in the US where I know the company I was dealing with Called UPS(I was on the line at the same time), and cleared things up and When I called UPS back, they claimed not having contact with the company. Its a shame that you have had such a bad experiance. Good luck with your next player. May I ask… Why not go to an electronics store and buy one in person?”

As for the first point, I should state that I don’t use UPS. If there was anything on their website indicating they ship via UPS, I would have skipped the whole exercise. UPS has never managed to get things right. However in this case, they’ve been a lot more helpful than Sandisk. (It shocks me, but it’s true!)

As for not buying it in a store, Sandisk had a great deal on their website: $97.99 for a player that sells in the stores for $129.99. I figured that $30 was worth the two day wait, and I wouldn’t have to fight with the noise of Future Shop (the only real Sansa dealer in town).

Man, was I wrong.

Good Luck

@ex_sansaite wrote:

“Make sure you report UPS too. I have had experiances in the US where I know the company I was dealing with Called UPS(I was on the line at the same time), and cleared things up and When I called UPS back, they claimed not having contact with the company. Its a shame that you have had such a bad experiance. Good luck with your next player. May I ask… Why not go to an electronics store and buy one in person?”

As for the first point, I should state that I don’t use UPS. If there was anything on their website indicating they ship via UPS, I would have skipped the whole exercise. UPS has never managed to get things right. However in this case, they’ve been a lot more helpful than Sandisk. (It shocks me, but it’s true!)

As for not buying it in a store, Sandisk had a great deal on their website: $97.99 for a player that sells in the stores for $129.99. I figured that $30 was worth the two day wait, and I wouldn’t have to fight with the noise of Future Shop (the only real Sansa dealer in town).

Man, was I wrong.

Before anyone jumps in and says you can find cheaper store prices than $129.99, I’ll reiterate the fact that this person is in Canada…and they don’t have nearly the availability that we in the US do, either online or in physical stores…so don’t bother trying to say he/she  could have found a better price in a different store…they may not have a different store to go to.

@ex_sansaite wrote:

Man, was I wrong.

So, UPS has never managed to get things right often enough that you won’t use them as a shipping company, yet SanDisk is the party that is fraudulent/incompetent?  And UPS has been a lot more helpful?  I’ve seen people be ‘helpful’ while lying through their teeth. 

You should make some more phone calls.  Sorry you had all the trouble, but I strongly suspect that none of it was by intent.  Unfortunately, none of that gets you your player when you wanted it.

The OP has a very valid reason to be upset.  It really doesn’t matter who the guilty party is; this has been a nightmare for them.  If I order something on-line, there are a set of expectations that should be fulfilled by the seller.

The purchaser should not have to make a bunch of phone calls to solve the issue.  They gave their hard earned money to the seller, and it’s the seller’s responsibility to honor that buyer/seller contract.  I do 99.9% of all my purchasing on-line, and it used to really make me upset too when a seller, shipper or handler didn’t do their job correctly to get you the products that were ordered.  Now, I just make one web visit, or one phone call to cancel the order and move on.

I am sorry for your problems and I hope you find a suitable resolution to your situation.

@ex_sansaite wrote:

…On Thursday, March 19, I ordered an 8GB Fuze player from ca.sandisk.com. The only available shipping option was $14, 2-day delivery. The website stated that orders received after 5pm EST would be shipped the following day. My order was placed just before 2pm EST, so I was hoping to see the player the following Monday (Assuming two business days).

Finally on Monday, UPS showed up and demanded the $40.96…

Cash On Delivery?  Does SanDisk even fill orders to consumers COD?

How peculiar.  To what was the charge attributed?

Firstly, where was the distribution site?  That is, did the order originate in the U.S.?  $14 (Canadian?) for two-day (international) shipping seems underpriced.  Are you sure you selected two-day?  You write that SanDisk told you that there should not have been “any further UPS charges,” so this was a delivery assessment, not a further charge on the merchandise, correct?

What precisely did UPS have to say about the extra $40.96 charge?

And then what did SanDisk have to say about it?  How did it get on there?

It sounds to me you may have thought you selected two-day but paid for ground shipping, then you rang UPS when the product did not arrive when you thought it would and told them that you had wanted it in two days.  UPS then assessed you the appropriate charge, never mind the delayed delivery.

I can answer all of these questions.

1. When ordering from ca.sandisk.com, there is no option for shipping other than two-day delvery (go try it out).

2. When you place the order, it states:

* - Shipping Cost includes applicable Customs Duties and Taxes for your region.

Also, from the FAQ,

I live outside the US. Do I have to pay customs fees?

If you live outside the United States, custom and tariff fees may apply according to your country’s import laws. These fees will be collected and paid by our freight carrier and are bundled with your shipping charge.

3) The $40.96 is a standard UPS charge for crossing a border on a ground shipment. They charge $29.95US to show the paperwork to customs, proving that duty has been pre-paid. (This is the biggest but not sole reason I don’t use UPS.) It’s called brokerage fees, and would have been waived on an air shipment.

1. Sandisk said  that they’ve received complaints from almost every customer in Canada who has ordered through their website, and they’re working with UPS to resolve it.

What I SUSPECT happened is that when Sandisk set up the ca.sandisk.com store, someone didn’t quite understand that Canada is a different country than the USA. $14 and two-day delivery within the country is a normal charge. If correct, then that’s just stupidity–it would mean that nobody at Sandisk actually tried to order on the website before it went live. However, what really frustrates me is that since the failed delivery on Monday, I have been “GUARANTEED” delivery the following day on three occasions, and nothing has happened. I’ve arranged my schedule, my wife’s and our babysitter’s to make sure that someone is home on five separate days (scheduled UPS delivery, actual UPS delivery and refusal, and three promised deliveries with no action), all for nothing. I ordered this back in mid-March (replacing my beloved but broken E250) to take on a road trip, and we’re leaving tomorrow morning–without the new player.

Making a gross mistake on setting up the website is one thing. Constantly failing to fix the problem is another.

I had a completely different but similarly frustrating experience with the sansa store last year.  As much as I like their products and support, I’d never, ever, do business with the store again.  Management seems incredibly poor.  They should stick to design and support and let others handle sales.

I have never had the least bit of problem with an Amazon order.  they should study how amazon fulfils sales or better yet, just stop doing what they cannot do well.

I’m sorry to hear about all your frustration.  It wil get resolved- and next time maybe try amazon.

@ex_sansaite wrote:

I can answer all of these questions.

1. When ordering from ca.sandisk.com, there is no option for shipping other than two-day delvery (go try it out).
  1. When you place the order, it states:

* - Shipping Cost includes applicable Customs Duties and Taxes for your region.

Also, from the FAQ,

I live outside the US. Do I have to pay customs fees?

If you live outside the United States, custom and tariff fees may apply according to your country’s import laws. These fees will be collected and paid by our freight carrier and are bundled with your shipping charge.

3) The $40.96 is a standard UPS charge for crossing a border on a ground shipment. They charge $29.95US to show the paperwork to customs, proving that duty has been pre-paid. (This is the biggest but not sole reason I don’t use UPS.) It’s called brokerage fees, and would have been waived on an air shipment.

1. Sandisk said  that they’ve received complaints from almost every customer in Canada who has ordered through their website, and they’re working with UPS to resolve it.

What I SUSPECT happened is that when Sandisk set up the ca.sandisk.com store, someone didn’t quite understand that Canada is a different country than the USA. $14 and two-day delivery within the country is a normal charge. If correct, then that’s just stupidity–it would mean that nobody at Sandisk actually tried to order on the website before it went live. However, what really frustrates me is that since the failed delivery on Monday, I have been “GUARANTEED” delivery the following day on three occasions, and nothing has happened. I’ve arranged my schedule, my wife’s and our babysitter’s to make sure that someone is home on five separate days (scheduled UPS delivery, actual UPS delivery and refusal, and three promised deliveries with no action), all for nothing. I ordered this back in mid-March (replacing my beloved but broken E250) to take on a road trip, and we’re leaving tomorrow morning–without the new player.

Making a gross mistake on setting up the website is one thing. Constantly failing to fix the problem is another.

Ah ok, now you’ve drawn a clearer picture and the gist of the issue is this:  there is an error regarding the shipping charge to Canada on the ca.sandisk.com webpage, it was not discovered until after you ordered a product and SanDisk’s response to the blunder (plus perhaps UPS’ inclement weather delay) compounded your frustration.

Your order was not filled out of a distribution center in Canada, it was an international shipment and the shipping cost at ca.sandisk.com did not reflect that.  (I made a quick webpage visit and confirmed the $14 two-day shipment charge.)  Does that about sum it up?

I didn’t delve far enough into the sample order but taking your reading of the shipping footnotes as complete, “Shipping Cost includes applicable Customs Duties and Taxes for your region” and “These fees…are bundled with your shipping charge” indicate you should have expected no further shipping charges.

So the CAN$40.96 (which is UPS’ currency conversion of US$29.95?) is a (flat?) brokerage fee as you have described which is levied on every merchandise order (perhaps within a certain product price range) ferried across the border by truck, from whatever U.S. merchant to any Canadian consumer and whether by UPS or some other company?  The same merchandise ferried by plane eludes the assessment entirely.  Is that correct?  That’s no small observation.

(I’ve one small quibble with your assertions:  that a CAN$14 charge (or about US$11 and change) on a “two-day [UPS] delivery within the country is a normal charge.”  The understated amount is partly what led my suspicion in my first post.  I called UPS and asked how much the delivery would be for a 2 x 3 x 4 inch, 59.5 gram (Sansa Fuze weight) package from Montreal to Vancouver and then from Toronto to Vancouver:  the rep quoted me charges of CAN$26 and CAN$25 (UPS Canada - 800-742-5877), which is more in line with what you might pay in the U.S.  Now I suspect you would counter that a large merchant is able to negotiate delivery charges and that frequently on orders there are no delivery charges at all, so how were you supposed to know what correlation the shipping charge had to what SanDisk actually pays UPS to get the package to you?  No qualms there.)

So where do you go from here?  Vent a bit and let it go?  Or press on?  If you decide to press on, what sort of outcome are you after?

I wonder if filing a claim with your Office of Consumer Affairs and your RECOL division might be a waste of time (what sort of result can you expect if you do?)–though I would be ready to cite that intention on any further dealing with SanDisk.

In your talks with SanDisk, I assume you asked for a supervisor the second (or third?) time around and perhaps tried to work your way up the call center ladder?  And that you took some names?  Do you know if the order center was U.S.-based and if it was a SanDisk unit or an outsourced service?  No matter, but good to know if you decide to proceed.

And if you do choose to press, I would call CEO Eli Harari’s office in Milpitas, California, directly.  Don’t mess with the toll-free number, use a direct line (pick up a pre-paid card if you need to, the daytime toll charge if any should be negligible).  Ask to be directed to his secretary and then ask for his executive assistant or whichever righthand person who might be able to field and act on a serious complaint which affects all Canadian customers of the SanDisk website on all products.

Your experience resolves to this:  (1) you were assessed an unexpected and exorbitant COD surcharge on a delivery amounting to 40% of the product price and that SanDisk customer service has acknowledged that your experience was not singular, that a number of Canadian customers using SanDisk’s website have complained about the very same, and that secondarily, (2) your shipping order timeline was bungled by SanDisk, but more importantly that when (3) you tried to resolve the handling errors, there was a lack of follow-through by SanDisk customer service on X number of occasions.  You were inconvenienced, but that’s not the sum of it as you imagine many other Canadians are going through the same, and nothing on the website has been changed to reflect a possible surcharge.

In such a call as you may well know, stating the case plainly free of any whining, remaining upbeat, conveying that you were put out, that you wanted to bring this to their attention and that you plan to press the issue directly to Chairman Harari (which I might be inclined to do in writing anyway) and to your RECOL division if there’s no resolve is the key to success.

And then see what happens.

If you do choose that, I would be interested to know the outcome.  You know the saying of the fish and the rotting head:  if you can’t get some traction in the front office, it’s probably not going to happen anywhere in the company.

I’m interested partly because I’ve been thinking about buying some stock in SanDisk, particularly if it tanks even further again, but I’ve had some misgivings (having nothing to do with the mp3 player minutiae discussed here).  What will be management’s reaction?  How will you be treated?  Will they follow through?  Will you be offered some other consideration?

Whatever avenue you choose, I hope you don’t give up on the Fuze entirely, I’ve come to enjoy mine thoroughly.

Finally, I can sympathize with your difficulties with UPS.  Through several years of delivery, our area driver repeatedly failed to find my home sending the packages back labeled “unknown address” despite calls each and every time explaining the exact location.  It wasn’t until I happened upon the regular driver’s immediate supervisor and had a face-to-face with him that the address matter was resolved.  The drivers and customer service seem able to handle routine, but deviate from it and there is no expression of initiative or creativity–such as asking for directions (I’m in a major American city and I was surprised to learn the UPS drivers here carry no GPS units or maps of any kind with them).

Mon Dieu!!!

I tried the ca.sandisk URL, and I see your frustration.  SanDisk uses a similar system in the United States for the Sansa Store here.  It’s a separate entity (company) that handles the Store.  Via the Canadian store, your only option is Canada 2-Day for the shipping, and the only country that can be selected is also Canada.

I purchased a Sansa e200 version 2 device, a special variant, that has the same AMS processor as the new Fuze.  The only way that I could be sure to receive a v2 was to order “direct”, plus I paid a higher price, ensuring that I could secure a v2.  There were no box markings on the e200, showing which ones were v2s, but that’s a separate issue entirely.

When I registered the device with SanDisk, there was no provision to enter the retailer, considering that I purchased the device “directly”.  Several memos and telephone calls later, we solved that on the Milpitas (CA HQ) end.  Sales of equipment “directly” is handled through a separate logistics system, both here in the US, and in the Great White North.

I am sorry to hear that you have run into such difficulties, especially since purchasing the Sansa “looks” like you’re dealing with SanDisk directly, judging by the web page.  Check the bottom details of the page; you’ll see DR globalTech listed as the e-tailer.  For the US, it’s etailworld.

I tried a purchase, and found the same 2-Day 14.00 listing as you did.  You would think that arrangements could be made to ship from within Canada, with no song and dance in the customs and duties department.  You made your purchase with a credit card, yet being surprised by a COD upon delivery is bad indeed.

Bob  :cry:

Message Edited by yidders on 04-04-2009 08:57 PM

@yidders wrote:
I myself am a Canadian citizen and am a complete noob to shipping and such. but what factors pevented you from walking into any futureshop, walmart etc and buying the player there? I had my fuze bough paid for and loaded with music in less than 2 hours.

The OP stated in Post #3 in this thread:

[As for not buying it in a store, Sandisk had a great deal on their website: $97.99 for a player that sells in the stores for $129.99. I figured that $30 was worth the two day wait, and I wouldn’t have to fight with the noise of Future Shop (the only real Sansa dealer in town).]