Sansa Fuze+ Firmware 01.32.00

Only

I’m kind of curious if I’m the only person experiencing RIDICULOUSLY long start up times.

I’ve got a 8gb Fuze+ with an 8gb micro-SDHC card in, both pretty much packed to the brim and this little **bleep** can take up to 15 or 20 minutes to start up and load everything.  That’s only slightly ridonkulous to me.  Sure, 20 minutes out of my day isn’t much, but it’s really the principle of the thing.

I’m pretty tempted to go back to using my glowing blue-screened ever-lovin’ Rio Karma.

@blassreiter wrote:

I’m kind of curious if I’m the only person experiencing RIDICULOUSLY long start up times.

 

No need for curiosity. If you read around here, you’ll discover you have plenty of company.

@tapeworm wrote:

No need for curiosity. If you read around here, you’ll discover you have plenty of company.

I’ve noticed the complaints about the long start up times, yeah.  I was more curious if they’ve been as long as mine. :smileyvery-happy:

There’s about 285 MB left on the player itself and 700 or so MB left on the SDHC card, so I’m going to guess it might be because of that.  A friend of mine has a regular Fuze and hasn’t had the same problems, so I’m trying to discern if I should return the Fuze+ and just get the original flavor.

Edit: I should change ‘start up time’ to ‘time it takes to load the internal memory and external memory’, which is very much to the tune of several minutes.

The earlier Fuze, with the AustriaMicrosystems processor, retained the music database between power cycles, making for a rapid and convenient boot cycle.  The Fuze+ is a little different; the database is rebuilt each time.

If you’ve experienced the Clip+, based upon the Fuze platform, this little guy is atomic fast.

I’m looking forward to improvements in the Fuze+ file parsing process.  Have you tried removing the microSD card to compare your boot time?  It’s quite possible that there could be issues with the metadata that are slowing the process.  Be sure to use ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1 tags.

I’ve found that cleaning up the tag data does speed up the Fuze+ quite a bit.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Got the Fuze+ for Christmas with V01.27.02A. My first venture into portable music has not gone well. My main concern is the hyper-sensitivity of the touch pad. I’m not clear from reading this board whether it is worth upgrading to 01.32.00 or wait for some future release. Does 1.32 fix the touch pad issue? Does it cause other problems? It is hard to believe they would take something this unstable to market!

er9299 wrote:

 

Does 1.32 fix the touch pad issue?

 

 

No.

.32 is by far the best firmware that is available. I would recommend upgrading for sure. 

please mail me the 1.27.02 firmware at mangalore20@gmail.com , even i want to do it , lets try again :slight_smile:

@indian wrote:
please mail me the 1.27.02 firmware at mangalore20@gmail.com , even i want to do it , lets try again :slight_smile:

Answered here.

And btw . . .1 post is quite sufficient. There’s no need to post the same request in 3 different threads on the same board. :wink:

@indian wrote:
please mail me the 1.27.02 firmware at mangalore20@gmail.com , even i want to do it , lets try again :slight_smile:

indian,

 

You can interchange firmware builds prior to 01.32.00 , using one of the following:

01.27.02

01.29.03

01.30.01

These are available if you enter Fuze+ Firmware in the search box in the upper right.  Please note!  If 01.32.00 is installed, you cannot revert to an earlier build.  This is part of the 01.32.00 release firmware.  If you are having a difficulty with 01.32.00, the latest, please let us know of any specific issue, as functionalities vary depending upon the type of media you are trying to play back.  The latest build is the most stable, in my opinion.

If you have the latest version installed, no worries, there will be a new build very soon.  I anticipate enhancements in the touchpad interface.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

 

 

I anticipate enhancements in the touchpad interface.

I sure hope so, because I’m using 1.32.00 and spent HOURS “fixing” mp3’s to all have the same exact tag type and no funky characters… and the lag of the interface makes this thing unbearable to use… literally it’s a fancy paperweight/sd card reader right now…

I am seriously waiting on this firmware update and if it does not improve much, I guess I will just get the original fuze or sansa clip+

This might be a concern unique to people like me who listen on shuffle a lot, but it seems to me like the shuffle isn’t totally random, you start to get the same sequences of songs again and again, which doesn’t seem like a biggie at first but it really does get pretty obnoxious. So a recommendation from me for future updates would be to improve the randomization in the shuffle, which wouldn’t be that hard (I think, anyway) and would make a big difference.

I also wanted to weigh in on the issue of the wait at start up. While I agree that a shorter loading time at start up would be nice, it seems to me (from experience, so correct me if I’m wrong) that waiting a little at start up is a requisite for a player which integrates the card memory (ie the stuff on the card is right there in the library along with the stuff on the internal memory). This is an absolutely necessary feature of an mp3 player, and I just hope that Sansa does not try to cut down on the wait at start up by getting rid of integration. I don’t mind the loading time at start up (for me ~20secs, and my player is mostly full), and I DEFINITELY prefer it to players with non-integrated memory because that makes such a huge huge difference in usability. I got this player knowing that it had to load when you turn it on instead of one that started pretty instantly precisely because the Fuze+ had integrated memory and the other did not.

If it is possible to cut down on the wait at start up without getting rid of the integration, though, that would be nice :slight_smile:

@warfish wrote:

This might be a concern unique to people like me who listen on shuffle a lot, but it seems to me like the shuffle isn’t totally random, you start to get the same sequences of songs again and again, which doesn’t seem like a biggie at first but it really does get pretty obnoxious. So a recommendation from me for future updates would be to improve the randomization in the shuffle, which wouldn’t be that hard (I think, anyway) and would make a big difference.

I’m starting to find the same thing, I have quite a large collection and have had songs appear twice in the same day or within a few hours of each other across many days - yet I haven’t even heard some songs in the 2 months I’ve had the player. I’m sure there must be a way to make it a little more random and to prevent it returning to a previous place in the recent history of the number sequence.

@lemming3k wrote:


@warfish wrote:

This might be a concern unique to people like me who listen on shuffle a lot, but it seems to me like the shuffle isn’t totally random, you start to get the same sequences of songs again and again, which doesn’t seem like a biggie at first but it really does get pretty obnoxious. So a recommendation from me for future updates would be to improve the randomization in the shuffle, which wouldn’t be that hard (I think, anyway) and would make a big difference.


I’m starting to find the same thing, I have quite a large collection and have had songs appear twice in the same day or within a few hours of each other across many days - yet I haven’t even heard some songs in the 2 months I’ve had the player. I’m sure there must be a way to make it a little more random and to prevent it returning to a previous place in the recent history of the number sequence.

People have been criticizing/complaining about the shuffle algorithm on all the Sansa mp3 players as far back as I can remember. I wouldn’t expect the Fuze+ to be any better at it.

If they have been complaining about the shuffle algorithm since time began, it’s about time good old kindly Sandisk, who we are assured does respond to our concerns, did something about it. I have the same problem and find it infuriating to listen to a fraction of the tracks on my player. It’s not too difficult to come up with a decent pseudo-random algorithm - just use a different seeding value every time you start up. Get your fingers out Sandisk. If this and the other problems aren’t sorted out soon, I will be looking for a decent MP3 player.

Man I just got one and it should be here tomorrow I hope I didnt make a mistake.  This will be my first sansa and after reading all the problems its sounds like a bad choice.  Im just using it for music thats it, I listen to just edm and love the gapless play back and heard the SQ is great.  I can live with some lag and other small problems but if it is as bad as some say should I just send it back and get the first fuze or what?

@jiff wrote:

Man I just got one and it should be here tomorrow I hope I didnt make a mistake.  This will be my first sansa and after reading all the problems its sounds like a bad choice.  Im just using it for music thats it, I listen to just edm and love the gapless play back and heard the SQ is great.  I can live with some lag and other small problems but if it is as bad as some say should I just send it back and get the first fuze or what?

There’s a new firmware update just released today that addresses many of the concerns.

Ok thanks for letting me know appreciate it.