Sansa Fuze and 2010 Prius USB interface

We rented a 2011 Kia Sorento for our vacation last year and had no problems with playing through the USB port connection. Is your Fuze in MSC mode?

Great vehicle, by the way. Am thinking about buying one this fall.

It was in Auto Detect" mode and I will try MSC and see if that makes a difference.  Thanks and will post after the test with results-Other then this, we really have had great experiences with Kia. 

No LUCK with changing the mode and only lost all my music doing so!!  I am not happy so any other ideas are welcome:wink:

Did you actually add any files in MSC mode?  Files copied in MTP mode are not accessible from MSC mode. 

Your computer, and probably the Prius, can only see one mode at a tiime. Changing the USB mode setting does not “lose” your music–when you disconnect your Fuze will see it, because the Fuze reads both modes at once.

Simply changing the USB mode will also not help the Prius find your music Your music has to be taken off the Fuze in MTP mode and added to it in MSC mode. (or you can just add it in MSC, but then the Fuze will show two copies of everything). 

“Simply changing the USB mode will also not help the Prius find your music” Hi, Black, the guy who’s confused about USB mode is trying to get his Fuze to work in a Kia. I’m the Prius guy, and I’m aware of what happens when you change modes. As you say, the data isn’t “lost”. BTW, for any Prius owners following this - I didn’t want to go into great detail because this is not a Fuze topic. If your Prius has the USB port, you’re probably better off to get a bog-standard USB drive (one that DOES NOT have any Windows-based software that will try to load up when it sees a connection) and load your tunes to the USB drive. Plug the USB drive in to the Prius USB port, open the radio, wait a second for the drive to show up on the “USB” tab. Also, shut down the audio system before pulling the thumb drive. The PNY I use blinks 4X when you “eject” it on a PC. It also blinked 4X when I turned off the audio in the Prius. So my advice - follow the same protocol you’d use when ejecting the thumb drive from a PC. While researching this Fuze problem I tried the above and the Prius played just fine from the USB drive. The “Random” function even worked! This is simpler than using the Fuze and is probably what we’ll do from now on. The Kia guy might want to try it too!

^  I bet the problem is that the Fuze exports two drives via MSC, one for microsd and one for the internal memory.  The car stereo may be too dumb to deal with mutliple volumes on one disk.  

@saratoga wrote:

^  I bet the problem is that the Fuze exports two drives via MSC, one for microsd and one for the internal memory.  The car stereo may be too dumb to deal with mutliple volumes on one disk.  

With my experience with the Kia Sorento I rented last year, the stereo unit would ‘see’ the internal memory (player in MSC mode), but it is not ‘smart enough’ to see an additional drive (like the memory card). Also it would not shuffle the songs on it; it would simply play them alphabetically by folder, then by file name. You could of course, navigate manually to different artists/folders.

Conclusion? It only sees the player as a memory storage device. I surmised there’s no benefit to using the player itself. It would be better to simply use a memory card in a reader to plug into the USB port in the car. It’s smaller and easier to hide when leaving the car and the player isn’t on, running down its battery. Memory cards are cheaper to replace than players if it suddenly craps out for whatever reason, or heaven-forbid someone breaks into it and steals your stuff.

You can also have multiple memory cards to swap out based on the size of the cards and your library or have different types of music loaded on different cards depending on your mood. :wink: