usb interface for car (data/audio/charge/control)

I’ve seen many cars that come with a USB interface for that other mp3 player.

Through the USB, a driver can control the player, play, stop, skip, etc… and the audio goes strait to the amplifier and speakers.

Now, can we do the same for sandisk players?

At least let it start and stop in sync with the car’s power.

Sansa Players are compatible with Ford Sync and other new car MTP based remote systems.  You can even stream the Rhapsody or Napster content to the Ford Sync head units over the USB interface.

As to power off,  if you are connected to the AC adapter,  pause the device before leaving the car.  It will auto shut off after the External power is removed.

When you start the car,  the Player will power up in paused state.  You can resume playback by pressing play/ pause again.

I have a Pioneer DEH-P4000UB in my car. It has a USB port but the Fuze does not seem to be compatible with it. I am informed by Pioneer that any USB device connected, with the exception of that other player, must support a FAT32 file format. I don’t think that the Fuze supports that and that may be the problem. Are there other car stereos that would work with the Fuze? Or is there a way to format the memory in the Fuze to be compatible? Any other suggestions?

@kente wrote:
I have a Pioneer DEH-P4000UB in my car. It has a USB port but the Fuze does not seem to be compatible with it. I am informed by Pioneer that any USB device connected, with the exception of that other player, must support a FAT32 file format. I don’t think that the Fuze supports that and that may be the problem. Are there other car stereos that would work with the Fuze? Or is there a way to format the memory in the Fuze to be compatible? Any other suggestions?

Most car stereos only support MSC mode (i.e. normal usb flash drive).  The fact that they mention the FAT file system probably means that is the case with your stereo.

The Fuze defaults to MTP mode (proprietary Microsoft format necessary to support DRM).  If you don’t need DRM support, you could format the Fuze, switch to MSC mode and reload your files.  Then the Pioneer should see the files.

Some newer head units support MTP, but not that many.  If the manual mentions support for “plays for sure”, DRM or copy-protected files, then it supports MTP.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 09-24-2008 05:40 PM

I have researched this pretty thoroughly and Skinjob is absolutely correct. Just for reference I have reformatted my Fuze and it works fine with the car stereo, but of course now it will not play books so I am using an m240 plugged in to the aux port and that works fine, but of course it is not as convenient as it would be to have control of the unit through the radio head. At least I know what is possible now. Maybe at some point in the future I will buy a head that is compatible if I find one that is unambiguously compatible. Thanks

You can use Overdrive Audiobooks in MSC mode.

Sometimes MTP support is also referred to as “USB digital media streaming”.

My Kenwood supports the Fuze in both MSC and MTP mode, but only for the internal flash. It even supports the MTP mode songs in MSC mode! I’m not sure about DRMed songs (I refuse to have any). As far as how songs are arranged, its navigation isn’t tag-based so it sees them based on the directory structure that’s on the device.

 I don’t know of anything that controls power on and off, though.

Hi SansaFix,

 

Can you confirm that Sansa players will definitely play subscription music from Napster-to-Go through Ford Sync?  I had an iRiver Clix that supposedly plays protected content through Sync, but it wouldn’t play the subscription tracks.  Have you actually tested subscription music with a SanDisk player in a car with Sync?  Do you know which players will work?

 

Thanks!

 

 

 

@sansafix wrote:

Sansa Players are compatible with Ford Sync and other new car MTP based remote systems.  You can even stream the Rhapsody or Napster content to the Ford Sync head units over the USB interface.

 

As to power off,  if you are connected to the AC adapter,  pause the device before leaving the car.  It will auto shut off after the External power is removed.

 

When you start the car,  the Player will power up in paused state.  You can resume playback by pressing play/ pause again.

 

 

We have tested the Fuze and Clip  and yes they will play subscription content with the Ford Sync.  You must of course use MTP mode.

In addition using MTP mode setting the XBOX will play the subscription content.

We just bought a 2009 Honda Civic EX with a USB interface. It allows the radio to control an older model of the “other player” and to play files on a Sandisk flash drive. However, when I plug in my Fuze in either MTP or MSC mode, it says it is unsupported. Any suggestions as to how the Fuze might at least look like a flash drive to the radio?

Thanks for any ideas,

John

MSC mode = Flash drive

However, if you added your files under MTP mode, the head unit may not be able to see them.  In general, the host device (head unit, computer, etc.) will only see files that were added under the current USB mode.

HI there all. I am just about to replace the (very very awful) standard audio system in my Subaru Forester. I have a 8 Gb Fuze with a 16 Gb micro-SD card - I love this music player since it frees me from Apple and their viral and restrictive software and DRM-headedness. Is there a list of car audio head units which are most compatable with the Fuze, and that results in me not having to spend hours configuring things? thanks

@maxigg wrote:
HI there all. I am just about to replace the (very very awful) standard audio system in my Subaru Forester. I have a 8 Gb Fuze with a 16 Gb micro-SD card - I love this music player since it frees me from Apple and their viral and restrictive software and DRM-headedness. Is there a list of car audio head units which are most compatable with the Fuze, and that results in me not having to spend hours configuring things? thanks

Just look for one with a 3.5 Aux-in jack on the front, and run a cable from your headphone jack right into the Aux-in jack. Run your Fuze at max volume, or close to it, with the EQ either on Normal or Jazz, and do all your other adjustments with the head unit. :smiley:

hey thanks for that.

Can you go in thru the USB port on the ausio deck also?

Hallelujah!!!  My Creative Zen died and I finally picked up a Sansa Fuze 8GB this weekend.  I can personally confirm that YES, it does actually work through the USB port playing Napster-to-Go tracks on the Ford Sync system!!!  To my knowledge, Sansa makes the ONLY players that can play this subscription content through Ford Sync.  All other players I’ve tested with Napster-to-Go just displays “PROTECTED” on the screen when you try to play subscription music tracks.

WOO HOO I couldn’t be happier - I’d definitely recommend the Sansa Fuze to anyone with a Napster-to-Go subscription and the Ford Sync system in their car.  It’s a perfect combination because you can load in unlimited new music and you don’t have to go fumbling around looking for artists or tracks while you’re driving.  I can tell you from using the Zen with the "Line-In’ jack that trying to look at an mp3 player screen while driving can be very dangerous! :)  Plus the Sansa Fuze sounds fantastic through the USB system, all the Napster track data appears in the screen, and life is generally great now.  THANK YOU SanDisk!

I love the player and I’m getting my wife one in Red also!

If we wanna skip track to the next, which skip button should we press ? the one in the head unit or sansa fuze ?

Sansafix–

Have a Fuse + that I can’t get to work with Ford Sync. It will load and index, but then just show 0:00 on the screen and not play. I have it in MTP mode, but just can’t get it to work. Any advice?

  1.  Are you sure the PAUSE is not engaged?
  2.  Although MTP mode is recommended, have you tried MSC? The Fuze+ is somewhat different from other Sansa models.
  3.  FYI, sansafix hasn’t been here in almost 4 years. Too bad too; I miss him and his knowledge.