Sansa Fuze 16GB

I know there’s another thread for this topic. I’m just seeing if anyone knows any new information about it? Does anyone know if the Firmware update is in the works or almost done so they can up the storage amount to 16GB? Or are they holding off because they have the View player which has 32GB and 16GB capacities?

What do you mean? Please clarify.

The new firmware is expected to increase the total song capacity that the indexes will recognize to 8,000. (currently around 4,120)

You can currently use upto a 16G microSDHC card to add to what ever is the internal memory of your Fuze. You can use all the space of the combined cards but if any items are added beyond the 4,120 limit these would not show up in the indexes…that what we were told…but that will change shortly when we get the new firmware…supposedly…

@eccentricglow wrote:

I know there’s another thread for this topic. I’m just seeing if anyone knows any new information about it? Does anyone know if the Firmware update is in the works or almost done so they can up the storage amount to 16GB? Or are they holding off because they have the View player which has 32GB and 16GB capacities?

The firmware update has nothing to do with upping the storage from 8 to 16GB. That is a hardware, not firm-or-soft-ware change.

As far as the View, I think they may have forgotten all about it. 

No, but updating the firmware from a 4,000 song limit to 8,000 song limit would make more sense before upping the storage capacity to 16GB. The other thread talks about them having to upgrade the firmware first before it would make sense to update the hardware.

Sorry I wasn’t more clear before.

If you want to use all of the available space in say a 8g internal Fuze with an added 16G card you can. You can use a large bit rate for some lossless format…and still be under the 4,120 song limit and manage to use of most of the storage space while retaining accurate indexes …so it depends what YOU want to do.

I am waiting to have the capacity raised before I take out my 8G card and put my 16G card in…I want to have my whole collection available at a “decent” bit rate…as I burn CDs I own. I can hear them at home on my stereo system if I want to hear it in all its glory…I use my poratble digital audio player for the PORTABILTY…

But it is up to you…again the capacity of storge space available and the song capacity are two seperate things…

Message Edited by bobletteross on 04-08-2009 12:42 PM

@bobletteross wrote:

If you want to use all of the available space in say a 8g internal Fuze with an added 16G card you can. You can use a large bit rate for some lossless format…and still be under the 4,120 song limit and manage to use of most of the storage space while retaining accurate indexes …so it depends what YOU want to do.

I am waiting to have the capacity raised before I take out my 8G card and put my 16G card in…I want to have my whole collection available at a “decent” bit rate…as I burn CDs I own. I can hear them at home on my stereo system if I want to hear it in all its glory…I use my poratble digital audio player for the PORTABILTY…

But it is up to you…again the capacity of storge space available and the song capacity are two seperate things…

What bitrate are you planning? And are you using MP3, WMA, or Ogg Vorbis? I understand your point about doing your “reference listening” at home on the big stereo.

Yes, I could add a 16GB card to the Fuze, I realize. However, the fastest 16GB card available (to the best of my knowledge) is a class 2 card, which isn’t that fast. Also, it’s currently expensive to add a 16GB microSD. So, I’m wondering when the Fuze is going to catch up to the iPod Nano.

@eccentricglow wrote:

Yes, I could add a 16GB card to the Fuze, I realize. However, the fastest 16GB card available (to the best of my knowledge) is a class 2 card, which isn’t that fast. Also, it’s currently expensive to add a 16GB microSD. So, I’m wondering when the Fuze is going to catch up to the iPod Nano.

It’s already surpassed the Nano. Buy a $12 8GB card and it’s got the same memory, and you’ll still save $50. Buy the 16GB, and the prices will be close, but you’ll have 8 extra GB, plus a radio, a voice recorder and a custom EQ

@eccentricglow wrote:

Actually Sandisk has a 16gb class 4.

Amazon.com link

@narf wrote:

@eccentricglow wrote:

Actually Sandisk has a 16gb class 4.

Amazon.com link

Holy ■■■■ that’s expensive! If I am correct about card speed really only coming into play when you load the card(and I said if I’m correct ) , then I would just buy this one

I use WMA at 128 Kbps, it does a decent job and I have my custom EQ at 6-4-0-4-8 and I’m very happy thank you very much… this way I can have my whole collection with me on the internal 8G and two external 8g cards (one remains inside the other at the ready…)

@bobletteross wrote:
I use WMA at 128 Kbps, it does a decent job and I have my custom EQ at 6-4-0-4-8 and I’m very happy thank you very much… this way I can have my whole collection with me on the internal 8G and two external 8g cards (one remains inside the other at the ready…)

I think at 128 kbps that WMA is better than MP3. I would need more than 2 8GB cards though…my Fuze is only 4 GB internal, but I have almost 23GB…so I just keep the absolutely essential with me. So using the 2 cards you’ve been able to avoid the file limit?

I bought that 16GB Sandsik card (the one Marvin listed) from somewhere else for $45.00.

4GB Fuze $79.99 + 16GB MiniSD $45 = $125.00 for a 20GB player. BARGAIN!!!

( -$50 gift card… freaking cheap!)

16GB was the minimum I wanted so I was either going to get a 8 GB + 8 GB stick, or the 4GB and a 16GB. Same price.

Seeing them on the shelf at BestBuy I fell in love with the Red\Blue and went that route.

The speed of the card means VERY little. DO NOT spend twice the money for a “faster” card. You will not notice the difference.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 04-08-2009 04:46 PM

Message Edited by Peregrine on 04-08-2009 04:48 PM

@peregrine wrote:

I bought that 16GB Sandsik card (the one Marvin listed) from somewhere else for $45.00.

4GB Fuze $79.99 + 16GB MiniSD $45 = $125.00 for a 25GB player. BARGAIN!!!

( -$50 gift card… freaking cheap!)

The speed of the card means VERY little. DO NOT spend twice the money for a “faster” card. You will not notice the difference.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 04-08-2009 04:46 PM

To expound on that a bit, I believe the speed only becomes significant for video. A Class 2 card should be fine for any audio-only purposes, even at high bitrates.

Ah… didn’t think of Video. Not used to having a player that does video and the only video I have (which plays fine) is on the Fuze, not the card.

So I defer to more knowledgeable folk on video from a card.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 04-08-2009 05:04 PM

@marvin_martian wrote:

@bobletteross wrote:

I think at 128 kbps that WMA is better than MP3. I would need more than 2 8GB cards though…my Fuze is only 4 GB internal, but I have almost 23GB…so I just keep the absolutely essential with me. So using the 2 cards you’ve been able to avoid the file limit?

Si…I have found by trial and error that the Fuze doesn’t like artists broken up on internal and external memory. It acts goofy…things don’t show up so I’ve been taking to add A-F on the internal 8 gb  then G-M on one 8gb which normally stays in the player and then N-Z on the other 8 gb card. 

@peregrine wrote:

Ah… didn’t think of Video. Not used to having a player that does video and the only video I have (which plays fine) is on the Fuze, not the card.

So I defer to more knowledgeable folk on video from a card.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 04-08-2009 05:04 PM

The only videos I ever watched on mine were on the internal too.

I’ve only played videos on external cards and they work fine.  The “refreshing database” doesn’t take too long, but the largest ones I have are 8 gb cards.  Maybe a minute.  Watching it is no different then internal (I’ve saw a brief ones on my internal).  It’s when you have a TON of items on the cards, like lots of songs, then it takes a long time to refresh. 

Hi, first time caller, long time lurker. I’ve purchased a SanDisk 16GB micro card from Best Buy about two weeks ago. Put all my songs (ogg files) on the card. It played excellent. The problem I was having is when I upgraded the firmware to 01.02.26 , the file refresh would hang about halfway to completion. So I had no choice but to revert to the previous firmware update. Even though I’ve read the release notes for the bugs, I’ve even formatted my Sansa Fuze a few times but to no avail. I guess I’ll probably end up being left behind.:cry:

Message Edited by fuze-shun on 04-12-2009 09:34 PM

I have seen just within the past 2 weeks a 16GB microSDHC class 6 card…an ADATA…around $50 if I can remember.