can i load up the 16gb card ---any advantage to leaving space free?

With all your help :smileyvery-happy:re: format after firmware update on 8gb fuze so it reads the 16gb card for libraries over 5000 songs.

Also the mp3tag is awesome.

i got all my songs on 16gb card(6189songs!)

all was done thru msc mode drag and drop…so much easier and faster than wmp11(sure it has its use but your suggestions were better) 

I was wondering though since i put all this on the 16gb card…its pretty much full  - only 1045mb left

the 8gb fuze has 7gb left…

Sh uld i leave more space on the card free and loaded some over to the 8gb fuze?

Thanks again for so much info and help

Message Edited by Joyfulone on 05-30-2009 06:30 PM

Message Edited by Joyfulone on 05-30-2009 06:57 PM

Doesn’t really matter but i would use the card because u can take the songs anywhere if you dont have the cable. Just think of the Fuze as extra data.

The Setup you have should be fine. I would suggest leaving at least 100mb on the internal memory.

@joyfulone wrote:

I was wondering though since i put all this on the 16gb card…its pretty much full  - only 1045mb left

6200 songs and you still have over 1000MB left? Are you kidding me? What, did you rip all these at 32kbps?

No offense, but it must sound almost as good as 'ol Gravel Gertie with a case of laryngitis talking into a tin can with a string stretched out to another one.

Do your ears a favor. Re-rip these songs at a higher bit-rate and use up a bit of that 7GB free on your player. In fact, I’d suggest using it all plus your card for only half of what you’ve got just on your card now! Then you might begin to notice what music really sounds like.

@tapeworm wrote:

@joyfulone wrote:

6200 songs and you still have over 1000MB left? Are you kidding me? What, did you rip all these at 32kbps?

No offense, but it must sound almost as good as 'ol Gravel Gertie with a case of laryngitis talking into a tin can with a string stretched out to another one.

Do your ears a favor. Re-rip these songs at a higher bit-rate and use up a bit of that 7GB free on your player. In fact, I’d suggest using it all plus your card for only half of what you’ve got just on your card now! Then you might begin to notice what music really sounds like.

I had that same thought earlier. MediaMonkey tells me I have 4,968 files, which equates to 29.8 GB. I wonder if this is ^^another instance of the 64kbps WMA method

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 05-31-2009 12:32 AM

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@joyfulone wrote:

I had that same thought earlier. MediaMonkey tells me I have 4,968 files, which equates to 29.8 GB. I wonder if this is ^^another instance of the 64kbps WMA method

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 05-31-2009 12:32 AM

I did some work last night with 128 kbps mp3, and I noticed that if the track is under 5 seconds and has NO tags, this kind of number is conceivable,  im not sure its possible but with the things we use at work to make audio recordings I think i could get close.

all of the “songs” are actually talk radio shows…i did check in mp3tag and around 5000 of them are 32kbit/s and 1267 are 256 kbit/s

they are all mp3’s…

they took up 15gb of space on my 16gb card… (i think tapeworm needs to borrow my trifocals)

if i change them all to 256kbit/s won’t i run out of space on the 8gb fuze?

will they sound that much better since its people talking versus singing?

living and learning, thank you 

:smileyvery-happy:

@joyfulone wrote:

all of the “songs” are actually talk radio shows…i did check in mp3tag and around 5000 of them are 32kbit/s and 1267 are 256 kbit/s

they are all mp3’s…

they took up 15gb of space on my 16gb card… (i think tapeworm needs to borrow my trifocals)

This Explains A TON! I work in radio so I know that the quality of the AM band can only be helped so much. 32 kbps is pushing the low end of what I would call normal. If you go above 128 kbps you really dont gain anything. I keep my recordings above 64 kbps, and below 128 kbps. Otherwise the audio goes to pot (as much as it can), and above 128 is wasted space. 

@joyfulone wrote:

they are all mp3’s…

Well that is completely different. Talk radio does not need to be at the same kind of bitrates as music.Several of my audio podcasts come in at 32 kbps and for people talking, that’s fine.

@joyfulone wrote:

Don’t bother, unless you have access to the original, uncompressed audio. The audio frequencies lost when the files were compressed can’t be regained by converting MP3 files to a higher bitrate. You would only make the files bigger.

Plus what CB said.

omg thank you… so glad i don’t have to rip them again.

now i have to read on forum about how to get my video podcast off of itunes and into the smc.

@joyfulone wrote:

omg thank you… so glad i don’t have to rip them again.

now i have to read on forum about how to get my video podcast off of itunes and into the smc.

If you only get a couple weekly ones, that’s all well and good…but if you get daily ones, you’re better off just watching them on the computer…The SMC used to take almost as long to add them as it took me to watch them, so I switched to audio only months ago. Unless they magically fixed the SMC since New Year’s…

its just one a week

@joyfulone wrote:

its just one a week

Then by all means, go for it.:wink:

@joyfulone wrote:

. . . they took up 15gb of space on my 16gb card… (i think tapeworm needs to borrow my trifocals)

I was only quoting you and your figures:

@joyfulone wrote:

I was wondering though since i put all this on the 16gb card… its pretty much full  - only 1045mb left

@tapeworm wrote:

6200 songs and you still have over 1000MB left? Are you kidding me?

But, putting the math aside . . . it might have helped if you had disclosed the fact that these were recordings from talk radio and/or podcasts in the 1st place. You did call them ‘songs’ in your original post.

And to get back to your original question . . . it doesn’t really matter whether they are on the player or the card, unless it helps you one way or the other with organization or remembering where they are. The player will see & play them regardless of where they ‘live’. :wink:

Well thank you for that info…please remember im very new to this and really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. without this forum my fuze was headed back to the store…there was now way i would of gotten it to work without you guys. 

I am now a very happy fuze owner with  a  5 year(30 minute a day) series on my player and the whole audio bible by chapters in order.

msc mode  and mp3tag did the job. now that im done and look back at where i started from–it was difficult communicating cause i didnt know the language and most of the time i really didnt know what questions to ask…had alot of trial and error and most of the wasted time was on wmp11 and the crazy synch it does with everything and the kitchen sink.

i almost gave up thinking the fuze was never going to be able to do what i though it could and last weekend  was going to return it …but i persevered and boy what a great little device this is.

@joyfulone wrote:

Well thank you for that info…please remember im very new to this and really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. without this forum my fuze was headed back to the store…there was now way i would of gotten it to work without you guys. 

I am now a very happy fuze owner with  a  5 year(30 minute a day) series on my player and the whole audio bible by chapters in order.

msc mode  and mp3tag did the job. now that im done and look back at where i started from–it was difficult communicating cause i didnt know the language and most of the time i really didnt know what questions to ask…had alot of trial and error and most of the wasted time was on wmp11 and the crazy synch it does with everything and the kitchen sink.

i almost gave up thinking the fuze was never going to be able to do what i though it could and last weekend  was going to return it …but i persevered and boy what a great little device this is.

I wonder how long it would take to listen to the entire Bible…it would certainly be a lengthy read on paper. :wink:

i looked in wmp11 and the bible is 90hrs(66 chapters(books)) and the vernon mcgee commentaries are 331hrs(go figure!)

just pick a chapter and dig into it…awesome