Sansa e260 suddenly stopped being recognized by computer

Hi there,

I was humming happily along with my sansa e260 for over a year.  Suddenly the device is no longer recognized by my computer.  It cannot find the driver.  I read many, many related posts here by people having the same problem, and it’s not clear what the solution is.  I tried updating the firmware, and it says there is no recognizable device.  I tried looking into the MTP issue, but I cannot find USB settings (Windows Vista is so unintuitive sometimes).  I checked my version of WMP, and I don’t think that can be the problem because I have a more recent version.  I tried reading some posted FAQ pages, but all the links were broken.

Can anyone help me?  I just bought a speaker system for my mp3 player, so I hate to have to buy a new one.

@ucla_marie wrote:

I tried looking into the MTP issue, but I cannot find USB settings (Windows Vista is so unintuitive sometimes).  

The USB settings are on the player, not in Windows (Vista or otherwise).

Thanks for that clarification.  It had been on MTP all this time.  I changed it to MSC and still could not get a breakthrough.  Neither the Sansa updater nor my computer recognize the device.

Maybe the cord is bad?

My boyfriend touched the cord and magically the device starting working again.  After two months.  I wish I could say I learned something from this.  Thank you for your help.

I’d hang onto him; it seems he’s got the magic touch! :stuck_out_tongue:

But I’d also probably get a new cord too. You can pick them up fairly inexpensively on Amazon & eBay.