Sansa Clip +

I was having trouble with my Clip + freezing up.  It would not restart until plugged in to recharge with USB connector.  So I found there was an update for the firmware to 01.02.18A.   So I did the update and now have no sound just a quiet click, click sound in the earphones.  It does not matter what music, podcast or slotradio.  No sound.  I have reinstalled the firmware 3 times and the problem is still there. I would like to put the old firmware back on because I would rather have it freeze up once in a while than to have no sound.  I do not see where I can get older firmware.

If anyone can help…

I haven’t had issues with the firmware.  But a repository of the earlier firmwares is available at the Clips forum (in a sticky thread at the top) at the forum at anythingbutipod.com.  http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Thank you for the links to prior firmware updates.  Unfortunately after trying several older firmware versions, I still have no sound. Somehow something happend when updating to latest firmware and it cannot be undone.  I am going to have to give up and get another clip.  At least they are very affordable.

Arggh.  Now, I don’t know if it will help, but I would try running an error check (thru Windows) on the player.  If that doesn’t fix things, then try reformatting the player under its Settings (note:  this will erase your content–transfer it back to your computer first, if you want to save it) and/or via Windows (I’d try both, if the first attempt doesn’t fix things).  And then I’d reapply the firmware.  Hopefully, this would clean matters thoroughly and set matters aright.

I’ve never heard of this issue before.  I also wonder whether it could just be a timing coincidence, with a hardware failure.

By any chance, are you srill within the player’s warranty period (1 year U.S., 2 years EU)?  SanDisk is very good about that, even covering the postage both ways in the U.S.

Thank you for all of your help.  I did manage to get the sound to come back oddly by pressing the home button several times.  I have put the latest firmware back on and all is sort of ok.  The sound has still disappeared a couple of times but comes back again after tapping the home button a couple of times.  

Good to hear (no pun intended)!  I do wonder if there’s a hardware issue going on there, especially as you’ve done the soft/firmware thing a few times over now.