Sansa Clip will not charge using Lupo Black 3 pin USB Power Adaptor

Hi just joined this forum.

Hopefully someone will be able to help on problem I have come across !!?

Recently got a Sansa Clip 8mb MP3 player from Amazon . Very pleased with it.

Amazon recommended a Lupo Black 3 pin USB Power Adaptor Mains charger as compatible with the Sansa.

However, when I have tried to charge the battery from the mains using the adaptor, it does not charge.

The Sansa shows on the led display as Connected and the yellow charging indicator appears BUT the battery level indicator does not blink and does not charge.

I have no problems charging via the computor, where the yellow charging indicator does blink and charges the battery okay.

Does anyone know why this might be happening ?

Thanks

Alan

@elbowman wrote:

However, when I have tried to charge the battery from the mains using the adaptor, it does not charge.

The Sansa shows on the led display as Connected and the yellow charging indicator appears BUT the battery level indicator does not blink and does not charge.

This is not the display you should see when the Clip is charging from AC power.  Instead, you should see the normal Clip menu, with an animated battery symbol.

It sounds as if the Sansa believes it has a USB data connection, rather than a power connection, when connected to your adaptor.  In which case, either the adaptor is defective, or Amazon gave a bad recommendation.  :cry:

For the Sansa, all we need are the two 5v pins (the outermost pair).  Some USB devices need to “see” a connection on the data pins to trigger operation (as the charger is simulting a PC’s USB port).  With the Sansa, this can trigger the device into its PC “connected” status.

Since it cannot make any sense out of the “null” data line, it won’t charge, it is waiting for communication with a PC that isn’t there.

µsansa

@promisedplanet wrote:

@elbowman wrote:

This is not the display you should see when the Clip is charging from AC power.  Instead, you should see the normal Clip menu, with an animated battery symbol.

It sounds as if the Sansa believes it has a USB data connection, rather than a power connection, when connected to your adaptor.  In which case, either the adaptor is defective, or Amazon gave a bad recommendation.  :cry:

Thanks for the reply. I have contacted Amazon about this problem. They say that the Lupo is compatible with the Sansa clip. I will return it to them though as it may be defective.

I have now ordered an iBox adaptor from Amazon which is supposed to also be compatible. It should arrive in a couple of days so fingers crossed that this one works !!

Thanks again

@microsansa wrote:

For the Sansa, all we need are the two 5v pins (the outermost pair).  Some USB devices need to “see” a connection on the data pins to trigger operation (as the charger is simulting a PC’s USB port).  With the Sansa, this can trigger the device into its PC “connected” status.

Since it cannot make any sense out of the “null” data line, it won’t charge, it is waiting for communication with a PC that isn’t there.

µsansa

Thanks for your reply.

Does this mean that the Sansa will not charge using a UK 3 -pin mains adaptor ? Its just that Amazon recommend the Lupo and an iBox 3 pin USB plug as compatible for charging the Sansa clip . I have now purchased an iBox one and wait to see if this works.

@elbowman wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I have contacted Amazon about this problem. They say that the Lupo is compatible with the Sansa clip. I will return it to them though as it may be defective.

I have now ordered an iBox adaptor from Amazon which is supposed to also be compatible. It should arrive in a couple of days so fingers crossed that this one works !!

Thanks again

Just to update. Got the iBox 3 pin plug adaptor and it works like a treat so it looks like the Lupo was defective.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Hi There

I just purchased from Kensington a 4 Port USB Charger for Mobile Devices. This wall charger is a 5 V max 2.0 Amp device. Each port has 500 ma power. It charges my 4GB clip, my Sony MP3 and my PDA. In Canada it’s pricy at $40.00, but it works and I can (and have) charged multiple devices at once. I’m very happy with this charger.

Fritzmom