Sansa Clip v2 - EMPTY EMPTY EMPTY - Help Please!

Hi, I have just purchased a 8GB Clip (hardware rev 2) and I’m getting a little frustrated with to say the least. I purchased this because of it’s advertised ease of use, as far as “draging and droping” is concerned. After having to deal with an IPod and its stupid ITunes interface, I wanted to cut out the middle man - so to speak.

Anyway, firstly I find out the device was set to restrictive (not to mention intrusive) MTP (DRM protected) mode by default and it took me a while to figure out why it wasn’t being automatically detected by my PC. Of course I switched over AS SOON as I realized into MSC USB mode. So it is now being detected, but the problem is that it is not recognizing ANY of the MP3 files which I drag to the MUSIC folder. When I go to any of the sub-menus of the Music section, such as Songs, all that shows up is a a message saying “Empty”. Strange thing is that if I drag one of my few “.ogg” format music files to the same folder…THEY show in the Clip and are able to be played??? I mean, what the…?

I have no idea what the problem is…but I’m getting quite annoyed with it and now wish I had just purchased a Creative Zen. I had a 1gb Stone that was no problem to use before this Clip thing.

I’ve tried reformating the Clip from the clip’s menu, that hasn’t helped

any ideas?? Thanks…

Message Edited by arkanoid on 02-09-2009 03:53 PM

How did you get the MP3s? Have you tried unplugging the CLip and letting it rebuild its internal directory?

I got most of them through ripping my own personal CD collection (mainly using Windows Media Player). Why, do you think the _way_ I ripped them may be causing a problem? I didn’t have any trouble playing the exact same files on my Zen Stone.

yes, I have unplugged and replugged it many times. whenever i add a new mp3 and unplug, I see the “rebuilding database” message on the Clip’s screen…so I’m guessing it actually is aware that files have been added. There’s just something preventing it from actually displaying them on the Clip’s interface menus… 

Message Edited by arkanoid on 02-09-2009 04:55 PM

@arkanoid wrote:

I got most of them through ripping my own personal CD collection (mainly using Windows Media Player). Why, do you think the _way_ I ripped them may be causing a problem? I didn’t have any trouble playing the exact same files on my Zen Stone.

yes, I have unplugged and replugged it many times. whenever i add a new mp3 and unplug, I see the “rebuilding database” message on the Clip’s screen…so I’m guessing it actually is aware that files have been added. There’s just something preventing it from actually displaying them on the Clip’s interface menus… 

Message Edited by arkanoid on 02-09-2009 04:55 PM

It cant hurt to check out how yougot the files. Some times you can get so that are write protected. WMP usually doesnt do that tho.  Have you tried using WMp to Sync the files? I know you said you want to drag and drop, but… This may shed some light on the issue. 

The other thing to try is to Downlaod mp3tag, and make sure your songs Id3Tags are correct. No funny charicters and stuff like that, The Clip (and All sansa products) Navigate based on Id3tags, so if these arent right they wont work. 

If you still have problems, you might want to consider the following steps:

Check your firmware version:  2.01.16          Look under   Settings > System info >  Firmware version

If its not the latest update.    There is a thread at the top of the forum , on how to update

And i’d strongly suggest formatting the clip using its menu >      Settings > Format > yes

Then drag and drop all your mp3’s and oggs to the Music Folder.

i’ve never had issues with mp3’s being recognized.   If you think it could be the ripping process,  source an mp3 from another source and try it.

The Clip is a great mp3 player and playing mp3’s should be a very simple drag and drop process.

Good luck,   Report back how things are going.   Cheers

hi, thanks again for the reply. I have just downloaded mp3Tags, and every thing seems to be fine as far as they are concerned. the only other thing I can think is that my mp3s are all stored on a networked Linux formatted drive. perhaps the storage of the files on Ext3 filesytem has changed some attribute in the files which the Clip doesn’t like. But then, from what I have read, people are using the Clip and Linux together happily? So I doubt that’s the problem…

I will try somemore, but please, if anyone has any other ideas please let me know. otherwise this will be being returned to Amazon, in exchange for a Creative Zen.

oops, missed your post…thanks Niko. Yes, I have checked to make sure I have the latest Firmware. I have even reflashed from the US>Euro and then back to the US firmware again, just incase the Firmware may have been corrupted…still no luck.

I’ll try your idea of an mp3 from a different source next…

Message Edited by arkanoid on 02-09-2009 05:49 PM

UPDATE: ok, so this is weird. I downloaded some random mp3s from three different sources directly onto my WinXP desktop and then transfered 'em to the Clip and *bam*, they worked _perfectly_. This to me suggests that the Clip doesn’t agree with me transfering files from my Linux networked drive Linux>WinXP Desktop>DragDrop into the Clip :confused:

so I guess my hunch was right, the Linux filesystem is maybe altering some attribute which the Clip cannot cope with. This is quite poor as I have had my mp3s stored in this way for many years now and played them with many different players, mp3 devices in all kinds of ways, with NO issues. Only with the Clip.

Are they mp3pro files?   just curious.  I’ve used lame’s codec (on the pc) with no issues.   All common formats are supported,   vbr, abr, cbr  320k to 32k (is all I have used).  They don’t even have to have a ID3 tag.      Another random question is what version ID3 tag are you using? 

I can’t see how a nix file system would alter the file.   It should copy over to the Clip without issue.   Check the file sizes in the Music directory.

Another random thought.   If you formatted the Clip from Linux as fat32.   you might reformat the clip through its own menu so the cluster size is set correctly .  >>   I highly doubt this is the problem…  

It should be easy…   not hard.  :S   I’ve owned several clips 2, 4, 8…  and have given many away as gifts.   They are awesome mp3 players.   :S

Good luck,

@arkanoid wrote:

UPDATE: ok, so this is weird. I downloaded some random mp3s from three different sources directly onto my WinXP desktop and then transfered 'em to the Clip and *bam*, they worked _perfectly_. This to me suggests that the Clip doesn’t agree with me transfering files from my Linux networked drive Linux>WinXP Desktop>DragDrop into the Clip :confused:

so I guess my hunch was right, the Linux filesystem is maybe altering some attribute which the Clip cannot cope with. This is quite poor as I have had my mp3s stored in this way for many years now and played them with many different players, mp3 devices in all kinds of ways, with NO issues. Only with the Clip.

There are some nix users here that use the clip,  maybe they can help.

try this:

copy a nix mp3 file to the music folder

connect the clip to your winXP pc

copy it to the pc

try playback on the pc

Is the file perhaps compressed by the nix file system?  just random questions.  Sorry I don’t know the specific issue.

hi niko,

the file system certainly isn’t compressing the files (at least i hope it isn’t). hmm, it’s very difficult to figure out, especially seen as i’m not the most knowledgable Unix user on earth (i can setup basic networks, but thats it). but i do know unix sometimes causes issues, with files used on windows for example, by changing archieve, readonly, etc properties on files. but really i dont see why that should affect how the Clip manages it’s files.

it’s hard to identify any one encoder used on the files, there are thousands, from many different sources. and as yet, not a _SINGLE_ one of the mp3 files from my network drive has worked on the Clip - it only seems to like the few .oggs I have. But the ones I have which I’ve personally compressed myself have used standard Lame compression, using the  Win port.

hmmm, I’m out of ideas for tonight. I’ve poped a couple of the mp3 files (from my network drive) which refuse to play on my Clip online…

mp3 1 - links removed

mp3 2

maybe someone could try one,to confirm. and perhaps look at the encoding variables to see if the match what the Clip should be capable of playing…

NOTE: the mp3 are non-licensed and 100% legal. jsyk

Message Edited by arkanoid on 02-09-2009 08:00 PM

Message Edited by arkanoid on 02-09-2009 08:01 PM

ok, THAT idea wont work…because uploading them to the server seems to somehow “fix” the files so that when thy’re downloaded again they actually WORK on the Clip.

ffs, I really do give up!! :smiley:

@arkanoid wrote:

hi niko,

hmmm, I’m out of ideas for tonight. I’ve poped a couple of the mp3 files (from my network drive) which refuse to play on my Clip online…

Mp3 1 - < 2mb         Edited out the links too :slight_smile:

mp3 2 - 5mb

maybe someone could try one,to confirm. and perhaps look at the encoding variables to see if the match what the Clip should be capable of playing…

NOTE: the mp3 are non-licensed and 100% legal. jsyk

Message Edited by arkanoid on 02-09-2009 08:00 PM

I downloaded them both and both played fine.

*Edited out the links too ^_^*

Message Edited by niko_sama on 02-09-2009 10:24 PM

Then it comes back to the method of how they are copied on the linux system.   Can you detail how you copied them, and Hopefully a nix guru will have some ideas.    Did you check the size of the files once they were copiied into the music directory?  or copy one of them back to the pc from the Clip, to see if the data file was intact.   maybe the file size is different.  or some other indication that will give a clue whats happening.

It will work, and then you will love the Clip :slight_smile:

*sigh*! I have figured it out and the Clip is now working and playing my mp3s as it should! :slight_smile: The problem was to do with *nix permission settings. On my *nix drive I had all mp3s set to chmod 0777 and this seems to translate into something bad as far as the Clip is concened. Anyway, changing all perms on the mp3 files to 0760 fixes the issue. \o/

this makes sense as unix based web servers would change the file perms when a file is uploaded and explains why the files “magically” worked after being uploaded to my remote webhost! :slight_smile:

And, yes, Niko…I can say I’m VERY happy with the Clip now. It is a beautiful little player and the interface is so easy to use. despite giving me some probs by not playing nice with some *nix settings, im very happy now! :slight_smile:

thanks for the ideas which got me thinking somemore !!

Message Edited by arkanoid on 02-10-2009 12:30 PM