Sansa Clip has short battery life?

Hi,

I just bought mine like 3 months ago.  Definitely felt like I made a good choice vs. Ipod Shuffle since I wanted to use it in the gym.

The problem that I have is that the battery dies so quickly. 

Day 1: Let say I fully charge the battery today and use it at the gym in the evening for about 2 hours.  I switch it off (by pushing the lever up and it will say “Goodbye”). 

Day 2: The next day when I’m at the gym, it can barely last for 1 hour. 

Day 3: And as a different example which I’ve tried, even if I don’t use at all on Day 2, on Day 3 I can’t even switch it on because the battery it totally drained out.

Is this normal?  I’d like to think that this is not normal… appreciate guidance/help from you guys!

@ridzuancooper wrote:

Hi,

I just bought mine like 3 months ago.  Definitely felt like I made a good choice vs. Ipod Shuffle since I wanted to use it in the gym.

The problem that I have is that the battery dies so quickly. 

Is this normal?  I’d like to think that this is not normal… appreciate guidance/help from you guys!

Nope, definitely not normal. The battery should last about 15 hours.

Definitely not normal.  I have a Clip that I’m selling on eBay that hasn’t been charged in over a week, and it’s still holding a full charge.  And when I was using it, although I never actually measured its battery life, I would use it off and on for several days before I needed to recharge it … at least 10 hours total, if not more.

Some batteries have been known to have a battery discharge problem.  I would contact SanDisk for a warranty replacement.

Message Edited by Miikerman on 09-02-2009 07:14 AM

Some batteries have been known to have a battery discharge problem.  I would contact SanDisk for a warranty replacement.

I did test mine, got 14 hours with mostly music and some radio. Only turned it off once. I have the feeling it may not do as well until after a few charge discharge cycles although Lithium isn’t supposed to need this.

Supposedly you shouldn’t make a habit of fully discharging but cell phone users don’t seem to have a problem.

As a matter of interest, what is the battery run time on the shuffle.

@dave61430 wrote:

I did test mine, got 14 hours with mostly music and some radio. Only turned it off once. I have the feeling it may not do as well until after a few charge discharge cycles although Lithium isn’t supposed to need this.

Supposedly you shouldn’t make a habit of fully discharging but cell phone users don’t seem to have a problem.

As a matter of interest, what is the battery run time on the shuffle.

The new shuffle is only rated for 10 hours…that plus the lack of controls on it make it quite the

Many have reported around 12 hours of battery life with typical usage, not using the equilizer, having the screen brightness set to minimum, and a low number for the backlight time. Having a higher brightness or longer backlight time, or using the equilizer will decrease battery life substantially. The 15 hour figure is for the player playing straight through without any buttons being pressed, and without the equilizer, using 128 kbps mp3 files. Using a higher bitrate or using WMA, OGG, FLAC, etc. uses more power and decreases battery life. The first few charge cycles the battery will not provide full power cycles and give shorter run times. For the first few cycles, run the battery down to around 20% or so(not too low) before charging again. After 3 or 4 cycles you will probably notice the battery behaving better.

Message Edited by JK98 on 09-03-2009 02:24 PM

In all fairness, the shuffle is physically much smaller.

Thanks guys.  I have been wanting to get it fixed/replaced but not sure how.