Battery issue- 8gb Clip

I have an 8GB Clip (V02.01.32A) …about 5 months old. I got it through Amazon. The back light is set to the 5 seconds and the lowest brightness, auto power is set to 60 minutes, USB mode auto detect.

How long is the battery supposed to last? If I have it going all day at work (8-9 hours), it can cut out by the end of the day because of a low battery. It’ll turn itself off. Friends that have iPods say their battery lasts a couple days of all day use at work.

Because of this, I have to charge it every night. If by chance I forget, I’m screwed and without the player the next day.

Is this common, that it’ll last only 8-10 hours? Am I doing something wrong that drains the battery? Do I need to contact Sansa as this is relatively new Clip?

Thanks for any advice.

Same problem. I bought 2 Clips+ from Amazon, one for me and one for one friend. They both last 8-9 hours and die at ~40% percent battery left. It may be a firmware bug, or maybe some bad batteries. I’m waiting next firmware release, if it does not fixes the problem i’m selling the device and getting a Fuze maybe.

What format is your music in, and at what bitrate?  Different formats (such as ogg vorbis) can require more processing power than others (such as mp3).  Also, do you leave your player generally alone to play, or do you frequently use the controls (which can cost more energy)?  And at what volume level do you play your music (a higher volume consumes more power)?

You really can’t compare the Clip’s battery and battery consumption with other players, as your friends are doing, as their players and batteries (depending on model) likely are considerably larger. 

8-10 hours, depending on the above, could be expected, such as with ogg vorbis files, or with lots of player adjustments throughout the day.  With little adjustments and MP3 files, it would sound a bit low. 

One thing you could do is, plug your player into AC power when at work, if that is convenient.  Beyond extending the daily power, it also will extend the battery’s total life.

They are mp3’s (Rhapsody) and I don’t fuss with it much…occassionally forward to the next song. Volume? I suppose low to medium as I dictate at work and need to be aware of my own voice. Most of the others I have spoken to of this are using the little iPod shuffle.

Plug it in? That means another purchase, eh? Plus I’m tied to the outlet.

Kind of a disappointment.

bonniejean wrote:

They are mp3’s (Rhapsody) and I don’t fuss with it much…occassionally forward to the next song. Volume? I suppose low to medium as I dictate at work and need to be aware of my own voice. Most of the others I have spoken to of this are using the little iPod shuffle.

Plug it in? That means another purchase, eh? Plus I’m tied to the outlet.

Kind of a disappointment.

You should change your auto power setting to something like 5 minutes. That means if you pause it and forget, it will shut itself off after 5 minutes, to save battery. You should be getting 12-14 hours with MP3’s though. By chance are you using the custom EQ? That eats a lot of battery power too.

And the little iPod shuffle, the newest model only is rated at 10 hours of battery life, and the previous model only 12. So if your coworkers are saying 2 days, they’re either not always listening to them, or they’re not being truthful. :wink:

The equalizer is set to “Normal.”

The Auto Power was set to 60 minutes. I just set it to 5 and will see how that goes. That may mean I will have to keep turning it back on several times a day.

Thanks for your help

bonniejean wrote:

The equalizer is set to “Normal.”

The Auto Power was set to 60 minutes. I just set it to 5 and will see how that goes. That may mean I will have to keep turning it back on several times a day.

Thanks for your help

Most likely you will still have to charge every night, but at least it should help you make it through the day without it shutting down. Good luck!

If you still get less than 10 hours, I would speak with SanDisk about it and see if they might offer a replacement.  At under 10 hours and with less than a year’s worth of use, and given your use of MP3 files and not great battery-draining use, it sounds to me like your battery just isn’t up to spec.  I would raise this with SanDisk. 

In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.

As to using AC:  if for nothing else and if you are at a desk at work, AC is a good option to extend the length of the battery capacity as well as the long-term life of the battery (one generally hears that you get around 300-500+ charges of a battery of this type; if you’re fully discharging and charging every day, that means maybe 1-2 years of battery life (although it could be more)).  

Thanks, and I will call them.

I’m not at a desk and move around quite a bit so AC isn’t an option. I’d end up jerking myself around when I forget I’m attached to the wall. I’d be helpful at home when it’s plugged into my receiver though.