Sansa Clip Firmware Update

@conversionbox wrote:

@bungl wrote:

Does this update fix the slow pitch bug (regardless of filetype)? Sansafix mentioned they worked something out, but I’m not sure it’s included in THIS update or some future one. Or he simply meant fuze, not clip…thanks

Did you read the change log? It says a change was made, we will see with time how thorough this fix was.

No.  It does not fix the 44.1kHz pitch error.  I just checked at it’s still off.  Looks like it will have to wait until the next update.  I hope it’s not too long, since it seems

we just missed this one.

I just tested my ver 1 clip with the new firmware and  a 1,000 Hz tone Mp3 file, when played back from the clip measures at 1,007 Hz.

If you listen to the 1,000 Hz and 1,007 Hz tones at the same time, you can clearly hear that they are out of tune.

This is important to people (like me) who like to play musical instruments along with the recorded music on their Clips.

This problem means that the music coming out of the clip is slightly (but noticeably) out of tune with real world.

In my test example, the Clip is slightly higher in pitch (plays slightly faster) than normal.

Though a small problem for non musicians, it is a big problem for musicians who want to use the Clip for practicing along with or for providing backing tracks to play along with at a performance.

Thanks for the firmware updates Sansa

Please fix this problem in the next firmware update.

Happy Trails…

@ninis wrote:

Yeah, i have it on 100% right now but i am not sure if it is that bright that it were before, hope you understand.

Thanks for the fast reply

Ninis

I have .30 loaded on one clip and .32 on another. I set both to 100% brightness and they look the same to me.

Impressed - I had dragged the .bin file over to the device and disconnected it, and the device reported it was doing the firmware update. No holding down the power buttons or anything! Haven’t tried it out yet but did have a look at the loooong list of languages; this truly is an international playa now.  :grin:

I’m attempting to update from 01.01.30 to 01.01.32 using the Sansa Updater but I keep getting the error #1003.

Can anybody tell me what this is and how to fix it?

It just means you cant connect ot the updater server it is actually easier to go back to the first post in this thread, and then Click on the link for all regions and follow the instructions in that post to do a manual update.

Ok, thanks for the prompt reply.

Anyone having skipping issues on FLAC files with this new release? Seems to skip slightly about every 15-20 seconds - sometimes more noticeable than at other times.

Mp3s (only checked podcasts so far) seem to be playing back ok however.

Thanks!

is there any difference between America and Europe version? in terms of audio volume or something else?

I think the radio stations are a little different. They are on odd numbers here in US, and even numbers in Europe, IIRC.:smiley:

In the past, the EU firmware also limited the volume (not done in the U.S. version–there, it’s an option).

any new bugs introduced with this new version?

I see lots of complaints,  and not sure if the upgrade just got worse.

Was the pitch problem existing even from the initial firmware versions? 

Also it seems booting time takes a bit longer with the same media library loaded (compared to 2.01.16F). 

Also usb recognition of mass storage is 2-3 second slower. 

Message Edited by icsterm on 03-02-2009 07:08 AM

Yes, startup is significantly longer on my 8GB clip with the new firmware.

@icsterm wrote:

Also it seems booting time takes a bit longer with the same media library loaded (compared to 2.01.16F). 

@icsterm wrote:

Was the pitch problem existing even from the initial firmware versions? 

Also usb recognition of mass storage is 2-3 second slower.

Pitch error was probably there from the very beginning, but as “99% of people on the forums don’t hear 2% pitch error, thus the problem does not exist” :wink: Fortunately, this attitude has changed recently and as in my case, I sticked with clip til the next firmware.

I can’t see anything in the *.32 changelog that would fix any of my problems, so I don’t upgrade, but boot time issues has been reported by other users too…

Interesting–my boot time on a new 8gb Clip with the latest firmware is fine and I think faster, compared to firmware from a couple of firmwares ago.

I, for one, don’t see that the boot time is either faster or slower; seems the same to me.  One thing that I did have, though, was that I was unable to update the firmware by just dragging the file over to the root directory.  I then hand to download, install and use Sansa’s updater.  Worked like a dream, so all is well.  FWIW, kudos to Sandisk for supporting their products.  Seems as though the $50 for the 8gb Clip will be well worth it.

I always smile when I see the 8gb Clip for under $50.

:wink:

I usually get :cry: , as I spent more for my 4GB Clip around a week before hearing about the 8GB Walmart deal.

@pollyanna wrote:
I usually get :cry: , as I spent more for my 4GB Clip around a week before hearing about the 8GB Walmart deal.

But I always thought that polyanna’s ALWAYS saw the brighter side of things! :smileyvery-happy:

@pollyanna wrote:

Don’t feel too badly:  you should see what a 4gb went for a year ago–you still go a deal!  :slight_smile:

@nymjk wrote:

@pollyanna wrote:

But I always thought that polyanna’s ALWAYS saw the brighter side of things! :smileyvery-happy:

MOST always, but unfortunately I was given this nickname in an ironic sense by someone who assessed me through teh interwebs with an unsettling perspicacity.

Anyway, I believe I am the last adult adopter of an mp3 player on the planet.  Not only is the Clip my first, but I had never even ripped a CD before I got it.  So this site has been a big help to me thus far.  Thanks, everyone!