Sansa Clip Firmware Update

Follow the instructions below to verify the hardware revision of your Clip before proceeding. 
  • Turn on your Clip
  • Select Settings from the main menu
  • Select System Info
  • Look at the Version #

Revision 1 = 1.XX.XX (example: 1.XX.XX)

Revision 2 = 2.XX.XX (example: 2.XX.XX)

If your Clip is Revision 1 proceed to Revision 1 instructions.

If your Clip is Revision 2 proceed to Revision 2 instructions.

Let me start off by saying that majority of people will be able to update his/her firmware through the Sansa Firmware Updater. There is even a how-to video that explains the process. If for any reason the aforementioned steps do not work for you, then please feel free to continue by trying the more "computer savy" steps, described below.

SanDisk has just released the 01.01.32 and 02.01.32 firmware revision for the Sansa Clip. Download links and the release notes are available below.

Windows
Users can Connect the device in any Mode and follow the instructions below.

Mac and Linux users can connect their Clip in MSC mode and follow the instructions below.

MSC mode instructions:

1. Turn on the Clip
  2. Put the device in Hold (move Hold button until orange is showing)
  3. Press and hold the Center Button
  4. Plug the mini-USB connector into the device (be sure the USB is plugged into the computer)
  5. Wait for the Clip drive to mount
  6. Follow instructions below and drag files to the Clip drive

Sansa Clip Firmware version 01.01.32 download and installation instructions

For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download 

All Regions - Click here to download

1. Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
  2. Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer.
  3. Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip.
  4. Disconnect the Sansa Clip and let it restart.
  5. The firmware update will now begin.
  6. Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will boot back up. Once its back to the main menu, head to "Settings" > "System Info", and verify the "Version" is now 01.01.32.

Sansa Clip Firmware version 02.01.32 download and installation instructions

For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download 

All Regions - Click here to download

1. Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
  2. Extract the .zip file into a folder on your computer.
  3. Once extracted, drag the file to the root directory of your Sansa Clip.
  4. Disconnect the Sansa Clip and let it restart.
  5. The firmware update will now begin.
  6. Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will boot back up. Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” > “System Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 02.01.32.
    moves slowly when playing OGG contents that are 16KHz or below

Sansa Clip Firmware 01.01.32 and 02.01.32 Release Notes

This new firmware has various bug fixes, including key fixes listed below, as well as enhancements. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off.  Power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, slide up & hold the Power switch for 10 seconds to reset the device and then release and slide up again to restart.

Enhancements:
•Single firmware for all regions.  Set the region after selecting the Language
•Supports up to 4,000 songs
•Audiobooks resume with chapter as well as seek position

Bugs Fixed:

•Playlists redirect to GoList when there are many playlists on device
•Device hangs up during Voice recording
•Add to GoList at Artist level does not work if Rhapsody Channel is present
•Intermittent loss of resume position for long MP3 Audiobooks.
•Certain FLAC file tag info is not displayed on device UI
•Music plays slow – mp3 192kbps 44KHz CBR
•Long files skip after fast forward
•Device auto-reboots after UI formatting
•Device shut off during FM recording

•Device cannot connect to PS3 if started from OFF condition in MSC mode

Known Issues:
•EQ spectrum moves slowly when playing OGG content that is 16KHz or below
•When Device is on, it will not be recognized by PS3 console when connect to it
•Repeated songs in playlist do not playback properly
•Playlists containing Audiobook folder files does not work

Message Edited by slotmonsta on 02-22-2009 10:56 AM

Thank you Sansa :slight_smile:

Thanks! I don’t know if I’m imagining it but the scroll speed seems faster.

I don’t remember it happening on other updates but this update switched the default USB mode to MSC, just an FYI for anyone who uses MTP.

@summerlove wrote:

Thanks! I don’t know if I’m imagining it but the scroll speed seems faster.

I don’t remember it happening on other updates but this update switched the default USB mode to MSC, just an FYI for anyone who uses MTP.

I also thank our fine Sansa developers. 

Summerlove, are you sure it switched to MSC? Mine switched from MSC to Auto-Detect(Tapeworm’s favorite!) Luckily I saw it and switched it back.

100% certain, because it was one of the things I check everytime (along with backlight brightness and timer, auto power, shuffle and repeat!).  It usually changes to auto-detect, which just means MTP on my PCs.  I wonder if it’s a region thing, or if my clip just has a mind of its own.

Does this update fix the slow pitch bug (regardless of filetype)? Sansafix mentioned they worked something out, but I’m not sure it’s included in THIS update or some future one. Or he simply meant fuze, not clip…thanks

@bungl wrote:

Does this update fix the slow pitch bug (regardless of filetype)? Sansafix mentioned they worked something out, but I’m not sure it’s included in THIS update or some future one. Or he simply meant fuze, not clip…thanks

Did you read the change log? It says a change was made, we will see with time how thorough this fix was.

@conversionbox wrote:

@bungl wrote:

Did you read the change log? It says a change was made, we will see with time how thorough this fix was.

Yes I did, did you read my post?

The changelog includes “Music plays slow – mp3 192kbps 44KHz CBR” - but it was never an issue with this specific encoded file, it was just slow on everything with 44.1kHz and sansafix mentioned yesterday that they managed to fix it. That’s why I asked, because it’s not clear if the changelog includes THIS fix. I can’t check it myself, because sandisk has not returned my clip yet…

Could you put an option to disable the screen when volume buttons are pushed? Thanks in advance…

@bungl wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@bungl wrote:

Yes I did, did you read my post?

The changelog includes “Music plays slow – mp3 192kbps 44KHz CBR” - but it was never an issue with this specific encoded file, it was just slow on everything with 44.1kHz and sansafix mentioned yesterday that they managed to fix it. That’s why I asked, because it’s not clear if the changelog includes THIS fix. I can’t check it myself, because sandisk has not returned my clip yet…

I havent tried it, Of course I never had an issue with my chip or my Fuze, I missed the details with specifications to file type like that.

@conversionbox wrote:

@bungl wrote:

No.  It does not fix the 44.1kHz pitch error.  I just checked at it’s still off.  Looks like it will have to wait until the next update.  I hope it’s not too long, since it seems we just missed this one.

@davek wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@bungl wrote:

No.  It does not fix the 44.1kHz pitch error.  I just checked at it’s still off.  Looks like it will have to wait until the next update.  I hope it’s not too long, since it seems we just missed this one.

The Person who asked this innitially pointed out to me that it was only for mp3

Is this what you are using? Also before the update could you hear it playing off? Can you still? Forget the tests, how does it sound?

Hello.

Yet again, I am having difficulty updating my Clip’s firmware. This time from 01.01.30 to 01.01.32.  I get a failure when using the Sansa Updater 1.200, “The Installation failed. Please try again later”. I also tried a suggestion of taking the firmware update file and directly inserting this into the root directory. However, the Clip will not let me put this file (m300a.bin) into the root directory…only various subdirectories.

I wanted to update the firmware thinking it might be a solution to reversing the extreme slowing down of starting and turning off the clip. Very weird. I tried reformatting and although it did it once after restarting the unit the music was still there. I tried various ways numerous times (directly from the Settings menu on the clip to connecting the clip to my XP PC in USB Auto, MCS, and MTP.) I just “formatted” the clip through the Settings. It completed, I couldn’t find any music, plugged it into my PC, saw that there was no music, disconnected from the PC, restarted the Clip and my music files were back. Go figure. (Incidentally, I get an error message when trying to reformat for the DOS command line.)

I also hacked the registry to remove any mention of the unit’s PID keys and then reinstalled the Updater software but this had no effect either.

Additionally, everytime I unplug the Clip from the computer it takes well over 2 minutes to get thru “disconnecting” through updating the database. 

So to summarize my issues: (1)  I cannot update the firmware through either of the two suggested methods. (2) I cannot reformat the Clip either from the Clip itself nor using a DOS command line format.

Any suggestions?

Is the maximum number of songs for the GoList still 50, or has it been raised?

@brad1981 wrote:
Is the maximum number of songs for the GoList still 50, or has it been raised?

It is still 50.

@davek wrote:

Thanks for checking, I thought so…

here’s a new bug: 

after updating the firmware, it asks you for language and region.  

i have a europe one, but it doesn’t let me select wether i have fm or no fm. i don’t have fm but the firware shows the fm menu item and all. and the firmware version is displayed as v01.01.32 F and it should be v01.01.32 E  

it doesn’t affect me much, but still would be nice if that would be fixed

@conversionbox wrote:

@davek wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@bungl wrote:

Is this what you are using? Also before the update could you hear it playing off? Can you still? Forget the tests, how does it sound?

Yes, I am using mp3.  However, it’s likely that this playback speed issue would also affect .ogg files if encoded to a 44.1kHz output sampling rate.  

I actually could hear the slight speed error.  I can’t carry a tune in a bucket, and I certainly don’t have perfect pitch, but I initially sensed it as slightly slow tempos for songs that I was familiar with.  I can still hear it after the update, as well as measure it.  It doesn’t necessarily sound bad, but on familiar program material I personally have a hard time ignoring it.

@davek wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@davek wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@bungl wrote:

Yes, I am using mp3.  However, it’s likely that this playback speed issue would also affect .ogg files if encoded to a 44.1kHz output sampling rate.  

I actually could hear the slight speed error.  I can’t carry a tune in a bucket, and I certainly don’t have perfect pitch, but I initially sensed it as slightly slow tempos for songs that I was familiar with.  I can still hear it after the update, as well as measure it.  It doesn’t necessarily sound bad, but on familiar program material I personally have a hard time ignoring it.

Just wondered.

Speed is greatly improved when syncing the full 8GB of MP3’s from MediaMonkey. Earlier it had full speed for maybe the first 25% of content and then got slower and slower, taking nearly two hours total.

After upgrade it synced from formatted in around 20-25 minutes.   :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by torefor on 02-23-2009 09:41 AM