Sandisk USB Disk unable fomat

Dear guys
I using sandisk usb 3.2 gen1 and get error when i plug it in my pc.
I dont open it and windows show format dialog request. But i click OK windows no get infomation for usb key and cant format.
Pls help me.

3 Likes

Hi @hishiro,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

I haven’t. I’ll try contacting the support team.
Tks

You do realize tht if Windows formats the drive all your files will be lost, right.

I suspect a dirty or bent USB contact, either in the USB drive or your computer. Try a different USB port and try lightly touching the contacts of the port and drive with emory paper.

Please keep up udated.

No. I’m try another PC. But all PC cant access it. I think have a problem with my usb key.

1 Like

Yes usb drives are prone to failure. Check your warranty status. Somr usb drives have a 2 year warranty in USA and 5 year warranty in Canada.
Go figure

1 Like

@hishiro any latest update :slightly_smiling_face:

If your SanDisk USB disk is unable to format, try using Disk Management (Windows) or Disk Utility (Mac) to format it. Ensure the disk isn’t write-protected and that it’s recognized by your computer.

@hishiro any further update :expressionless:

humh. Windows say it write protected. I cant format it.

Hi @hishiro , any update

@evering01 Thanks for the solution. :raised_hands:

Then, you should remove write protection from the USB drive. :thinking:

Use Diskpart:

• Press Windows + R to bring up the Run dialog box.
  • Type diskpart and press Enter. If prompted by User Account Control, click Yes.
  • Type list disk and press Enter.
  • Type select disk X (replace X with your USB drive’s disk number) and press Enter.
  • Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.
  • Type exit and press Enter

Or, Edit the Registry:

• Press Win + R, type regedit, and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.

• Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies.

Note: If you don’t see StorageDevicePolicies, you may need to create it.

• Right-click on StorageDevicePolicies and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
  • Name it WriteProtect and set its value to 0.
  • Restart your computer and check if the write protection is removed.

While browsing the Sandisk forum, I also noticed that someone mentioned that you could use Bitraser to wipe the data on the storage device. But I never tried it.

1 Like

USB drives are indeed susceptible to failure, so it’s wise to check the warranty status. In the USA, some USB drives come with a 2-year warranty, while in Canada, they may have a longer 5-year warranty period. It’s important to consider these factors when choosing and using USB drives to ensure longevity and reliability for your data storage needs. If issues arise, warranties can provide peace of mind and options for replacement or repair.
check your product warranty…

1 Like

@evering01 Thanks for the help. :kissing_smiling_eyes: