I have a SanDisk Extreme SD card that I use in my camera. During a recent trip, the camera suddenly showed a card error message and asked me to format the card. I did not format it because the card has a lot of important photos and videos on it.
When I connect the SD card to my computer using a card reader, the card is detected, but Windows says it needs to be formatted before I can use it. I’m worried that formatting it will make recovery harder.
Has anyone experienced this with a SanDisk SD card before? Is there a recommended way to recover the files without formatting the card? Also, is it safer to make an image/clone of the card first before trying any recovery tools?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. These photos are very important to me.
I’ve seen this happen before, and the first thing I’d say is don’t format the card, even if Windows keeps asking you to. In many cases, it’s just the file system that’s corrupted, while the actual photos and videos are still there.
The fact that your computer still detects the SD card is a good sign. If the files are important, I’d make a backup image of the card first, if possible. That gives you something to work with without putting any more stress on the original card.
After that, I’d scan the card (or the image) with Stellar Photo Recovery software. I’ve used it to recover photos and videos from SD cards that were showing the same “needs to be formatted” message. If it finds your files, recover them to your computer or another drive, not back to the SD card. If the card starts disconnecting randomly or isn’t detected consistently, stop trying to access it and consider a professional recovery service.
Whatever you do, DO NOT click format.Since your computer can still recognize the card, it means the hardware isn’t completely dead. As long as you haven’t written any new data to it, your photos are very likely still safe inside! Give these steps a try—you have a great chance of getting them back:
Step 1: Create an image file first. You can use free tools on Windows like Win32 Disk Imager or DiskGenius to clone the entire card into an image file (.img).
Step 2: Use recovery software. I highly recommend using dedicated data recovery software to deeply scan the card and see what files can be brought back. Just remember to save the recovered photos onto your computer’s hard drive, and never back onto the SD card itself!
Reminder: There is no need to try CHKDSK to repair your SD card if you see the error “You Need to Format the Disk in Drive Before You Can Use It.” This specific error means your SD card’s file system has become corrupted, missing, or recognized as RAW. CHKDSK requires a recognized file system to function and will fail with the error “CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.” While CHKDSK can sometimes fix minor errors on standard Windows file systems like FAT32, it does not support full repairs on exFAT (the most common format for modern SD cards).
Read also: Fix The Error ‘You Need to Format The Disk in Drive Before You Can Use It’
Hey there! Do not format the card! You made the right call formatting will make recovery much harder.
This is a very common issue with SanDisk cards when the file system corrupts mid-write (often called turning “RAW”). Your photos are almost certainly still intact on the memory chip.
Here is the safest path to get them back:
1. Make a Clone First (Recommended): Yes, creating a bit-for-bit image is safer. Use a free tool like Win32 Disk Imager to save an .img file to your PC. This prevents further wear on the physical SD card.
2. Run Recovery Software: Use EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. It’s great at handling RAW drives and camera files (JPEG, RAW formats, MP4). Point EaseUS at your cloned image file (or the SD card directly) and run a Deep Scan. Preview and save your recovered files to your computer never back to the SD card.
3. Retire the Card: Once your files are safe, format the card in your camera to test it. But honestly, I wouldn’t trust it for important shoots again.
Hang in there. Try running EaseUS and let us know if your photos show up in the preview.