Sandisk Sanso(2GB) hard drive does not appear on my Dell Inspiron netbook mini(Windows XP)?

I plugged my Sandisk Sanso into my netbook visa USB and the device is recognized and it also says that it is working properly but when I look on my desktop the Sanso clip hard drive icon doesn’t even appear? Why is this? I’ve already tried installing the device and it didn’t work? I don’t know why it wouldn’t work if it says that it is working properly. I just bought it about a week ago, so it is brand new. Can anyone please help me?

Set the device to MSC mode, you may not have latest WMP installed needed for MTP to work. Default is MTP or AUTO so you need to chnage under settings.

You make this change on the Clip under Settings - USB Mode.

Or you can set the Clip to MTP mode (which is needed to play files protected by DRM, digital rights management) and make sure that you have a later version of Windows Media Player on your computer (version 10 or above), needed for MTP mode. 

Avoid the Auto setting under USB Mode, in which the Clip may go back and forth between MTP and MSC modes depending on the computer it is attached to.  When your player is connected to your computer under USB MSC mode, your computer only sees the files that had been transferred to the player when the player was connected under MSC mode.  Likewise as to MTP mode.  (Regardless, all the files show up and are playable on your player, under whatever USB mode setting.)  This can lead to confusion.

As I reread your posts, there’s a conflict as to whether the issue is with the netbook or the desktop.

In either case, the issue may be with Windows XP.  Out of the box, Windows XP shipped with Windows Media Player 9 , which does not support MTP.  To update, you can click on Help> Check For Updates in Windows Media Player, or install the MTP Porting Kit available from Microsoft.

The Clip, if in MTP mode, won’t be seen on one of your computers, if the computer does not support MTP.

If one mode still does not work, you can reinstall the Sansa using the Device Manager.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: