SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip Won't Turn On and Isn't Recognized by Computer

Hi,

Newbie here with my first question.

I’ve had my Clip Zip for four years and it recently ran out of juice while listening to a song. I plugged it into my car charger for a recharge, but the device would did not turn on as usual, nor was it detected by my PC when I got to work.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. Plugging it into other PCs (five of 'em).

2. Holding the power button down for 20 seconds to reset it. (while disconnected from PC).

3. Holding the power button down for over one minute to reset it.

4. Holding down the power button and the center button at the same time for 20 seconds. When that didn’t work, I tried again, this time for over a minute. Then I tried holding down the power button, then the center button a second afterwards, again as above.

5. Holding down the power button and the return button at the same time, as 4.

6. Trying to put it into MSC mode.

7. Checking the device drivers via Device Manager, but it still wasn’t detected by my PC. (I followed the intructions in this article for 6. and 7.: http://hubpages.com/hub/Troubleshooting-SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Zip-MP3-Player-Problems))

Thinking it was perhaps a faulty USB cable, I bought a new one. Still won’t turn on. Tried everything as above - again. Still won’t turn on.

Tried this suggestion from another forumite:

Koto

SanDisk User

Re: froze and now it won’t turn on[ Edited ]

Options

‎05-01-2012 03:33 PM - edited ‎05-01-2012 03:36 PM

Hold the Power Button over 20 Seconds. Leave the Power Button and press Again!.

This Reset the Player. The leave and Again is important.

Have the Player Akku Power?

Plug the Player 30 Minutes on the PC to load and repeat Reset Method.

But it still won’t turn or be recognized!

Does anyone have any suggestions, or is it kaputski? Four years seems a depressingly short shelf life for an MP3 player.

Thanks,

Mino

1 Like

You might try leaving it to charge for a few days attached to an AC USB adapter–in some circumstances, this has trickle-charged a player and allowed it to wake up.

Thanks for the reply.

As I’m not keen on spending more money on a device that may no longer work again, can I assume that I could try the same thing but just keep it plugged into my PC?

“As I’m not keen on spending more money on a device that may no longer work again, can I assume that I could try the same thing but just keep it plugged into my PC?”

Most people have a micro usb charger for their cellphone. That is what he suggested giving the player a long charge with. Just make sure the charger says 5 volts on it before you connect it to the player.

@mino wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

As I’m not keen on spending more money on a device that may no longer work again, can I assume that I could try the same thing but just keep it plugged into my PC?

Sure, this is just a measure that some people sometimes have found success with.  With your PC, just make sure that the PC is on or that the USB port is still providing power/charging when the PC is off.

Hasn’t worked. Any other suggestions?