SANDISK EXTREME PRO USB 3.1 Simply doesn't get recognised as storage on MacOS / Linux

Bought a SANDISK EXTREME PRO USB 3.1 SOLID STATE FLASH DRIVE to use as a portable sys drive running linux in order to not have to deal with dualbooting separate Linux Distros both on my MacBook Pro8.2 and HackPro-Workstation and since USB3.1 is backwards compatible with both 3.0 and 2.0 in general and SanDisk clearly states that this specific drive is as well, I thought I’d just go plug it in, reformat and then make sure to install Linux in a fashion that would be bootable on both systems.

well, that didn’t happen…

* Booth my systems recognised the device with the right device name, vendor ID etc but apparently not as a storage device since id doesn’t show up in either Disk Utility running booth MacOS 10.12.3 and Debian Linux with kernel version 4.8.15. (Now I’m not an expert but to me this seems like the type of behaviour you’d expect when the appropriate drivers aren’t installed, which in this situation makes no sense to me…)
* plugged it into booth USB ports on my macbook, thru both USB controllers on my workstation (booth as USB3.0 and USB2.0) and passed it thru to my Linux VM both as USB3.0 and USB2.0

So i guess I either got a device with a faulty memory controller, SanDisk messed something up in their firmware so that the device in fact isn’t backwards compatible as they claim it is or the device need drivers that SanDisk doesn’t supply (I know that makes zero sense but so doesn’t getting a not backwards compatible drive that was clearly stated as backwards compatible). Either way, it ■■■■■ and i’m pretty disapointed…

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 17.05.40.jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 18.39.52.jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 18.00.22.png Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 17.52.05.png

image.jpg