SanDisk Clip NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN because of DEAFENING FM VOLUME - Consumer Safety Warning.

SANDISK NOT RECOMMEDED FOR CHILDREN

What is wrong with you people???  The absolute lowest volume for FM is deafening.

Can this be fixed?  Is this going to be fixed???  SanDisk please answer.  No answer - then I will escalate to Consumer Safety.

Extremely Mad Dad

Message Edited by MadDad on 01-06-2008 05:15 PM

thanx for you for the useless yet redundant post… in such boldness yet… you are very important and G Bush cares about you

Message Edited by amkoas on 01-06-2008 05:18 PM

(Getting back to the OP’s post:)

I haven’t found a deafening issue, although I agree (with others) that the minimum volume level should be lower.  It could be that the FM signal you receive is stronger than mine, perhaps?

(Getting back to the OP’s post.)

I haven’t found a deafening issue, although I agree (with others) that the minimum volume level should be lower.  It could be that the FM signal you receive is stronger than mine, perhaps?

amkoas said: “thanx for you for the useless yet redundant post… in such boldness yet… you are very important and G Bush cares about you”

Why is it useless to protect a child’s hearing? What post is redundant?

That you attribute caring to Dubya is very telling of you.

Message Edited by MadDad on 01-06-2008 08:36 PM

"You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid" :dizzy_face:

No one else has complained about losing their hearing when using the Clip, so if your Clip is literally “deafening”, as you say - you have a defective unit and should return it immediately, to preserve your hearing - and that of your offspring.

Now - we might also worry that a child could swallow the Clip, it being soooo vewwy small. Perhaps we would be better off if the Clip were a lot quieter, and a lot larger?

It takes a village, I guess.

Miikerman, it all depends on what you want to call deafening and if you already have hearing loss.  I have 40yr old ears and I listen to music all the time - on head phone/buds and without.  I have never experienced a device where the sound level can not be set to an acceptable level.  Its fine to be able to turn up the volume, but to have a device that is designed for headphones with a un-lowerable high volume setting surly leads to hearing loss - I call that deafening.

It is simply incredible that the SanDisk Clip FM volume can not be set lower than loud.  An hour at this volume level and I guarantee you that you can measure your loss of hearing.  Although it may be temporary, over time you lose.  It is irresponsible to let children use this device.

Click, no one else has complained?  Here is a sample:

100%  Re: Tested and Confirmed / Sansa Clip
Volume minimum still loud.  Radio is almost unlistenable in a quiet room, just too loud sd01  0 512 12-07-2007 11:28 PM
83%  Re: Sansa Clip Firmware 1.01.18 Released to Sansa Updater / Sansa Clip
… ). Also, volume normal/loud and equalizer Tjhawkey  0 82 12-04-2007 08:04 AM
83%  Re: lower volume more? MSC mode / Sansa Clip
I also have a couple of volume issues. One is that it’s too loud–I can’t get it quiet Tjhawkey  0 461 11-15-2007 10:16 AM
83%  Re: What volume settng works for you? / Sansa Clip
agreed the customer EQ is your best chance. mp3 companies are limited by how loud a device drlucky  0 276 11-07-2007 10:21 AM
83%  Re: lower volume more? MSC mode / Sansa Clip
… problem.  The Clip would be a great player …
and all) IF it wasn’t so loud sd01  0 473 12-07-2007 11:32 PM
72%  Re: lower volume more? MSC mode / Sansa Clip
… , when the room is quiet, it’s just a little too loud Sasafrass452  0 0 01-06-2008 01:36 PM
67%  Same low volume problem here / Sansa Clip
… that there are more people complaining about it being too loud mmcjwo  0 130 12-22-2007 09:46 AM
62%  Re: lower volume more? MSC mode / Sansa Clip
… is too loud, when i copy it to my player johnnyz86  0 0 11-10-2007 09:28 AM
60%  lower volume more? MSC mode / Sansa Clip
so i just got a clip …
loud for when i’m alone with these sensitive IEMs johnnyz86  1 96 11-04-2007 12:37 PM
57%  Re: What volume settng works for you? / Sansa Clip
… , they don’t help.  My Clip’s EQ is always set …
that there are people who complain their Clips mmcjwo  0 130 12-22-2007 09:41 AM
57%  Re: What volume settng works for you? / Sansa Clip
… , they don’t help.  My Clip’s EQ is always set …
that there are people who complain their Clips mmcjwo  0 130 12-22-2007 09:41 AM
57%  Re: My playlist maker / Sansa Clip
… , I’m using my Sansa Clip (M350) 2GB with my Fedora 8 GNU/Linux …
if any. Also, the Clip doesn’t power if connected kukrapok  0 0 12-31-2007 03:23 PM

From Sansa Clip Wish List

===================

Message 2 of 14  Viewed 424 times
I’d like to add the following: 5. Lower minimum volume.

Message 4 of 14  Viewed 369 times
Wishlist: 1) Lower initial volume step

Message 8 of 14 Viewed 259 times
MIN. VOLUME TOO LOUD!!!

Message 9 of 14 Viewed 245 times
Yepp! It`s too loud!

Message 11 of 14 Viewed 127 times
Wishlist: 1) Lower initial volume step

More posts

I also have a couple of volume issues. One is that it’s too loud --I can’t get it quiet enough without going to zero volume.

sandisk needs to address this issue by putting more steps in the volume control.  there are plenty of people with this problem so hopefully sandisk will notice it.

Yeah, that minimum volume issue is an annoying problem.   The Clip would be a great player to use while drifting off to sleep (sleep timer and all) IF it wasn’t so loud!

i’m assuming they’ll create a fix to allow lower volumes

I’m also experiencing this issue. I’d like to turn the volume down just a bit more… not ALL the way down!

==================================================

Give your child a gun, it has OFF and SHOOT, just like the Clip!

Message Edited by MadDad on 01-06-2008 07:58 PM

Message Edited by MadDad on 01-06-2008 08:17 PM

dear rabid one,
you did not search your complaint. you post on the wrong board.  your post is completely outta whack… evidently, your clip is trash.  You should send to me; i ll pay s/h…
your nick suggests insane… not accurate but gettin there.  search around justta little and see why i label you in the first place.  also, learn a little forum etiquette… do your kids walk into a new room shoutin off complainin as if they got everything all figured?
seriously.

Umm, yes, forum etiquette is a good thing, for one and all.

ok
how bad can it ACTUALLY be,
is it louder than the max volume while listening to mp3’s, which is how i listen to my clip…
and i listen to LOUD music, screamo, metalcore, etc
and im not deaf
and the min volume for the fm radio isnt THAT loud.
plus,
which kid actually listens to FM radio,
i only listen to Opie and Anthony,
and thats it,

Message Edited by silentedge on 01-06-2008 10:27 PM

SilentEdge, you certainly have hearing loss (a % deafness) if you find it ok (and not painful) to listen with headphone/buds at full volume.  This is why you find the lowest FM volume setting to be “isn’t that loud”.

I’m going to have this thing measured, file a consumer safety complaint, and then return it.  It is a very simple matter to set a volume range and steps within electronics.  Anyone who thinks that its ok to produce and/or use a device that will injure kids hearing is idiotic, bordering on criminal.  All devices should conform safe hearing volume standards.  It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise.  Sure it can have a skull cracking level, but it also needs a safe low volume setting for children and defaults to that safe volume every time it starts, with a ramp up to a preset, and ideally a parental control.  Apparently Apple has these features, SanDisk put in a funky Normal/High limitor but had all deaf execs and testers…

Hooroo SanDisk.

Message Edited by MadDad on 01-07-2008 12:06 AM

Silenedge:
> is it louder than the max volume while listening to mp3’s, which is how i listen to my clip…
> and i listen to LOUD music, screamo, metalcore, etc
> and im not deaf

Not yet deaf :wink: (unless you’re surnatural or unless your Clip max volume is different than mine).

Seriously: we must remember that different people have different ear sensitivity (at birth) and different ear damaged level (which means current sensitivity differs), thus different hearing volume needs or wish. The headphone and earbuds we all use also impact the min/max audible volume. The radio volume seems to differ also.

Reading all threads concerning volume min and max level here, I seriously wonder if all our Sansa Clip devices show the same volume power. Would be nice to be able to measure it, to compare it to the recommendations (so that everyone with his ears can refer to it).

Hey MadDad…
how about this
buy a ipod
the volume on the ipod is so high that i cant handle it
buy it and give it to your… 4(?) year old kid…
maybe he puts the volume max (which is easy to do) and blows is eardrums out…

i really dont know whats all the comotion about the volume.
if u want to pay $35 and expect everything to be perfect…
well you are out of luck
even the most expencive stuff have flaws.
and i bet there will be a firmware update for the clip
hence there are a couple of people bragging about the volume…

bleh

MadDad wrote:

SANDISK NOT RECOMMEDED FOR CHILDREN

What is wrong with you people???  The absolute lowest volume for FM is deafening.

Can this be fixed?  Is this going to be fixed???  SanDisk please answer. 

If you expect an answer, you should contact Sandisk directly rather than posting to a user forum, yes?

1(866) SAN.DISK (North America)

1-866-726-3475
7 days a week:
4:00 am. - 10:00 pm. (PST)
7:00 am - 1:00 am (EST)

I’m sure your ranting has gotten the attention of the Sansa developers and if it’s possible to attenuate the volume setting more, it will be done at the next firmware release.

That said, searching the forum for SOLUTIONS is an alternative to looking for more “problems” - and making increasingly louder noises. In all those retorts I still do not see anyone claiming “deafness”. Which was my point. “Too loud” is not being disputed here - “deafness” certainly is.

Searching solutions…here’s one…how about trying using the custom eq setting to lower the minimum volume setting. This workaround has been posted here and works well.

BTW I’m an electronics engineer with acoustic noise measurement and safety agency test/approval experience and your promise to “have the thing measured” is going to involve the subjectivity of headphone efficiency, application of the human head / acoustic model, and the like. And you’ll need to test a statistically significant sample, not ONE unit (which is likely defective if it is “deafening”). If you can prove the lowest volume setting exceeds the permanent damage threshold (something on the order of +130dBA) with the supplied ear buds, then you will have something to scream about. And I seriously doubt that this SPL is achievable at MAXIMUM volume setting.  Are you really prepared to do all this?

Unless and until you have evidence, please cease your poisonous grandstanding, it distracts from the constructive nature of the forum.

I really didn’t think that the OP was grandstanding, but was just concerned for safety reasons.  That being said, using supersized red text is not the best of means to use in a board as a general matter (ther equivalent of screaming), and it all could have been said in a shorter fashion.  But people do get empassioned about electronics …

workarounds dont work on radio.  sansa has heard the complaints many times before…
OP searched, he wouldda seen this… he woullda found that this aint the rite place for such a loud mouth.

and yet he continues … end your rant here… you accomplish -0-… you aint gonna change any minds here.

you ask for a “parental control”—rite…what DAP in the world has this? none thats how many…
you are new to the DAP market … so obvious…

Message Edited by amkoas on 01-07-2008 07:39 AM

maddad,

i agree that the minimum volume is high in quiet situations.  for example, when i’m sitting at my desk at work.  try going into the equalizer and going to custom.  lower it a few notches across the board.  i’d like to see sandisk release a software update that lowers the minimum but until then this seems to work just fine for me.

quote=amkoas “workarounds dont work on radio” -

Yep I stand corrected, the EQ “fix” does nothing on radio as the EQ affects only the Music signal chain (radio not in DSP signal path??). Might not be something that software can fix if this is the case. And that’s too bad as EQ on FM would be sensible.

Anyway, my apologies for a misleading statement.