ROCKBOX inside

@sandclip wrote:

What are the instabilities?

Not sure which I’d prefer - a stable player that always does what it is supposed to, or a player that is gapless but has glitches and crashes.  Probably the former.

Then you’re probably the kind of person who should wait for the port to stabilize.  Check back in a month. 

I really enjoy Rockbox but the problem with the volume level (the lowest isn’t low enough) annoys me alot.

Until it might operate as you like, a simple cable extender with volume knob is an easy possibility. 

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102975

I think you could also just turn the preamp gain way down.  

Thank you both!

Sure thing–hope that 1 or the other works for you!

The last release works just great.

USB recognition, and it is just perfect to me!

Especially that Rockbox Utility is “Clip+ ready”! Easy way ton install rockbox if you don’t “dare” installing it manually.

:wink:

Yeah, running RB on my Clip+, too.

Its just nice.  :smiley:

BR Rob

Thanks for the update–it’s great to hear the status from the users based on experience.

Would be nice if the USB connection was brought under the Rockbox umbrella as well, making it a total “swap.”

:slight_smile:

Rockbox newbie here. I’m trying to install using the Rockbox Utility. When I try auto detect I get the message “Could not detect a mount point”. So I select it manually (which in my case is the H: drive) and select clip+ as my player. But the problem is both the complete and minimal installation buttons are greyed out so I can’t select either. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?

zippster wrote:
Rockbox newbie here. I’m trying to install using the Rockbox Utility. When I try auto detect I get the message “Could not detect a mount point”. So I select it manually (which in my case is the H: drive) and select clip+ as my player. But the problem is both the complete and minimal installation buttons are greyed out so I can’t select either. What stupid thing am I doing wrong?

Don’t use the Auto Defect USB setting. Rockbox is MSC only.

@tapeworm wrote:

Don’t use the Auto Defect USB setting. Rockbox is MSC only

I am using MSC.

Then why did you say:

zippster wrote:
Rockbox newbie here. I’m trying to install using the Rockbox Utility. When I try auto detect I get the message “Could not detect a mount point”.

?

And why would you come here instead of the Rockbox site to try and solve an issue with their installer?

@tapeworm wrote:

?

And why would you come here instead of the Rockbox site to try and solve an issue with their installer?

I meant the the auto detect in the Rockbox Utility not the USB mode in the system settings of the player. Sorry to be a bother and waste your time, I thought it might be just a simple thing I was doing wrong that could be answered here.

@zippster wrote:

Whe installing an unstable build, you can’t use the installation options on the “Quick Start” tab. Go to the “Installation” tab instead to install the bootloader, then Rockbox. You’ll need an unmodified copy of the Clip+ firmware for Rockbox Utility to patch for the first step.

zippster wrote:

I meant the the auto detect in the Rockbox Utility not the USB mode in the system settings of the player. Sorry to be a bother and waste your time, I thought it might be just a simple thing I was doing wrong that could be answered here.

Ahhh, well . . . now that’s something completely different!

:smileyvery-happy:

@gwk1967 wrote:

When installing an unstable build, you can’t use the installation options on the “Quick Start” tab. Go to the “Installation” tab instead to install the bootloader, then Rockbox. You’ll need an unmodified copy of the Clip+ firmware for Rockbox Utility to patch for the first step.

I don’t recall reading anywhere that you can’t use the Quick Start tab on unstable builds (well at least there’s no mention of it in the instruction manual). Anyways, I sucessfully installed it using the Installation tab as you suggested. Thanks for for your help gwk1967.

Well, it could just be one of those things with a build in an alpha or beta development stage.  Glad you could get going.

I installed Rockbox onto an old Clip V1, and my current Clip+ at the weekend. This is a great piece of work.

I’m having great fun at the moment, being able to speed up my audiobooks without pitch-shifting.

Couple of niggles: The Updater app won’t allow original firmware more recent than 01.02.09.

I also had a heart-stopping moment when the Clip+ crashed during a database update, and I couldn’t see a way to revive it for a while, and was convinced I’d bricked it (I was “bricking it” too). Holding the power button for a good 15-20s brought it back from the dead.

Also, I’m still looking for an easy shortcut back to the While Playing Screen.

The Sansa firmware uses the Home button to toggle betweem the menu and the playback screen, but in Rockbox it toggles between the main menu and the previous screen, so I have to move through the menu and select “Now Playing”.

njd wrote:

Also, I’m still looking for an easy shortcut back to the While Playing Screen.

The Sansa firmware uses the Home button to toggle betweem the menu and the playback screen, but in Rockbox it toggles between the main menu and the previous screen, so I have to move through the menu and select “Now Playing”.

You can set up Rockbox to display the ‘Now Playing’ screen upon start-up, instead of the Main Menu.