Rockbox 3.7 -- finally stable for the clip+

I looked at the Rockbox site today, and saw that there’s finally a stable release for the Clip+

So, is anybody using RB 3.7, and if so, how’s it working?

@comfortablynumb wrote:

I looked at the Rockbox site today, and saw that there’s finally a stable release for the Clip+

So, is anybody using RB 3.7, and if so, how’s it working?

It works great…I’ve been running Rockbox on two 8GB Clip+'s for a while now, and 3.7 continues that trend.

Does one need to have an engineering degree or a PhD in computer science from MIT in order to load or use Rockbox? I would love to load it on my Clip+ but my expertise is NOT in writing computer code/computer programming. While I understand the gist of the Rockbox  program, some of the language used on the Rockbox site may well as be written in Chinese. What do you Sansa “gurus” think, should I tempt fate? Thanks.

In what areas does rockbox improve upon the original firmware? If I upgrade to rockbox can i go back to the original sandisk fw if necessary? It sounds very good though and I am NOT a fan of sandisk firmware.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox

@marvin_martian wrote:

ok that is interesting but will I regret loading the Rockbox software into my clip?

@chuck_w wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

ok that is interesting but will I regret loading the Rockbox software into my clip?

I sure haven’t…I haven’t used the original firmware for months now.  And if you try it for a week, and decide you don’t like it, then it is easy to go back to the Sansa firmware and remove Rockbox.

As a general matter, Rockbox offers good playability for its players, including (features I especially like) gapless play and automatic folder advance while playing (plus many other features–use what you like).

Now this may sound superficial, but it also offers different screen layouts (called themes) for your pleasure and ease of use–choose which one you like, or change between them at will.  http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclipplus  As part of that, if you like tinkering, you can adapt or make your own screen layout, putting on the player screen what you want and find useful.  Want a clock (often requested here)?  There are themes that have that (or make your own).  Track total time (not just time elapsed)?  Likewise.  And it’s all, literally, just a few key presses away.

If you are interested, highly recommended that you skim through the Rockbox manual, to see what it can do for you. 

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansaclipplus.pdf

Here’s an example of a question that I can’t find the answer to: After the installation of Rockbox will I need to reload all +/-22gb of music already on my Clip+, i.e  does the install erase everything already loaded? That would be a major hassle.

@mlip wrote:

Here’s an example of a question that I can’t find the answer to: After the installation of Rockbox will I need to reload all +/-22gb of music already on my Clip+, i.e  does the install erase everything already loaded? That would be a major hassle.

Yes i am wondering the same thing.

@mlip wrote:

No, all the music you have on it will be fine, as long as you have some room to spare in the internal memory for the installation.

OK But how well does it work for podcasts? Sandisk have a folder setup for podcasts. Does rockbox provide something similar?

Ok so i tried to upgrade to rockbox and it did not go well. Somehow I ended up with both the sandisk and rockbox working at the same time and not musci showing in the rockbox. Shpould I try it again?

You’re supposed to end up with both firmwares, since if you lost the original firmware it’d be impossible to connect over USB.

Regarding music, you’re going to have to be more specific.  If you put a song in some folder, and then browse to it in rockbox, is it still in that folder?  

@chuck_w wrote:

Ok so i tried to upgrade to rockbox and it did not go well. Somehow I ended up with both the sandisk and rockbox working at the same time and not musci showing in the rockbox. Shpould I try it again?

It’s been a while, and I may not have the wordinig just right, but I believe the 1st time you have to “initialize the database” (or something like that) to get your music files to show up. Try consulting the manual.

OK – RB 3.7 is up and running fine, no problems, and none of the display bugs that made me ditch the beta.  My #1 reason for using RB – WAY more battery life!  Everything else is gravy. 

@comfortablynumb wrote:

Hey, when do *I* get to be a guru?!?

In about 352 more posts. :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

Check your math. :stuck_out_tongue:

@gwk1967 wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

@gwk1967 wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

I believe Guru status is acheived when one has 900 posts. If so, my math is correct. Why it’s 900 posts and not 1000, I don’t know.