Rockbox 3.7 -- finally stable for the clip+

@chuck_w wrote:

Ok so i tried to upgrade to rockbox and it did not go well. Somehow I ended up with both the sandisk and rockbox working at the same time and not musci showing in the rockbox. Shpould I try it again?

It’s been a while, and I may not have the wordinig just right, but I believe the 1st time you have to “initialize the database” (or something like that) to get your music files to show up. Try consulting the manual.

OK – RB 3.7 is up and running fine, no problems, and none of the display bugs that made me ditch the beta.  My #1 reason for using RB – WAY more battery life!  Everything else is gravy. 

@comfortablynumb wrote:

Hey, when do *I* get to be a guru?!?

In about 352 more posts. :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

Check your math. :stuck_out_tongue:

@gwk1967 wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

@gwk1967 wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

I believe Guru status is acheived when one has 900 posts. If so, my math is correct. Why it’s 900 posts and not 1000, I don’t know.

@tapeworm wrote:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

I believe Guru status is acheived when one has 900 posts. If so, my math is correct. Why it’s 900 posts and not 1000, I don’t know.

I know that it was a long time ago when you hit Guru, but I coulda sworn that I hit Guru after clicking “post” on my 801st post. But I thought this was supposed to be secret Guru knowledge!:stuck_out_tongue:

@marvin_martian wrote:

…I coulda sworn that I hit Guru after clicking “post” on my 801st post. But I thought this was supposed to be secret Guru knowledge!:stuck_out_tongue:

How does the rest of us know that you’re actually telling the truth about that number?  Hmmm?

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

…I coulda sworn that I hit Guru after clicking “post” on my 801st post. But I thought this was supposed to be secret Guru knowledge!:stuck_out_tongue:

How does the rest of us know that you’re actually telling the truth about that number?  Hmmm?

I suppose it is possible that I am just a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBjtghitGOM

Interesting video, kinda cool.   Seriously, IIRC, your number sounds right.

Maybe it’s a moving target  :angry:

@comfortablynumb wrote:

Maybe it’s a moving target  :angry:

What is the big deal with it anyways, are you that anxious to have your name appear in red letters ?:wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

What is the big deal with it anyways, are you that anxious to have your name appear in red letters ?:wink:

Easy for YOU to say! 

@comfortablynumb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Easy for YOU to say! 

You’ve been a member here for a year longer than I…but it would appear I have been far more active in the forum. I wouldn’t stress over it if I was you…you still show up in blue which is a nicer color than red anyways. :wink:

When the posters here mentioned that the manual is extensive, they weren’t exaggerating.  It’s almost 200 pages long! :dizzy_face:

@mags1230 wrote:

When the posters here mentioned that the manual is extensive, they weren’t exaggerating.  It’s almost 200 pages long! :dizzy_face:

It really is long…the good thing is that you don’t necessarily have to read the whole thing. Just looking at the Contents can help you narrow down what you actually need to read, to answer your questions. For example, I have no interest in audio recording, or playing the games, so I never bothered reading those parts of the manual…but other parts of it have been very helpful to me.

I’m no programmer or rocket scientist, but the majority of my questions I have been able to answer by going back to the manual…the good old “read the fabulous manual”:wink:

Even without the manual, RB is pretty easy to navigate.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Just looking at the Contents can help you narrow down what you actually need to read, to answer your questions.

After taking  a closer look at the Contents, I can see that the License and games sections take up alot of pages.  Those I won’t need to read.  Right now, I’m just interested in getting the increased battery life and in finding a better font/theme.

Two suggestions, Mags: 

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Just looking at the Contents can help you narrow down what you actually need to read, to answer your questions.

After taking  a closer look at the Contents, I can see that the License and games sections take up alot of pages.  Those I won’t need to read.  Right now, I’m just interested in getting the increased battery life and in finding a better font/theme.

1)  You really don’t need to read much more than “Quick Start” and “Browsing and Playing.” 

2)  Don’t try to change fonts or create your own theme until you are thoroughly familiar with the program.  My first time out, I tried to change to a larger and different font, and quickly went from bad to worse, and never could figure out how to “reset.”  Good advice for newbies – and I am DEFINITELY a newbie at rockbox – is browse throught the themes (including the user themes online), pick the one that works best for right now, and tweak it later to make it perfect. 

Only 249 to go! 

Or is it 349? 

(and Marv, LOVE the rtfm smileys!) 

@mags1230 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I only have two themes on my two Clip Pluses…I think they are the best, but of course YMMV.:wink:

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1004&target=sansaclipplus

and http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1112&target=sansaclipplus