Regarding The New Update

I’m going to repost this from page 7 so that some people might see it…

@neutron_bob wrote:

The line level when docked statement was a bit cryptic.  To make it simplest, the output level is fixed at maximum when docked.

Bob  :wink:

@neutron_bob wrote:

No worries!  The fixed-max-when-docked option is borrowed from the Fuze’s older brother, the e200 v2.  Running with the same processor, the e200 has a split personality when docked, max output at the dock, then when unplugged, your previous headphone volume level is retained when the headphone amp is turned back on.

Maybe the Fuze can return the favor by giving the v2 the sleep timer and improved Rhapsody sync.  The v2’s Scroll Through Song is also on the bargaining table, hehe…

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

To Bob and everyone here -  

Sorry to be a party pooper but it is now impossible to listen to headphones from the dock. 

This was a very nice feature that should be restored. 

The Griffin dock was extremely convenient to use as a stand alone device, at the computer, at a desk, next to a bed or when ever you were not using the Fuze as a portable.  It provided a power source where you could charge the Fuze when you were not carrying it around.  But it did much more than that.

Half the function of the Dock was to be able to connect the Fuze to a stereo system, but the other half was to act as a stand alone docking device that would allow you to listen to music or watch a video, with your headphones, without being attached to a music system.

We have lost half the purpose of having a dock.

Being able to regulate the volume on a docked Fuze was a distinct advantage of the Fuze over the ipod.  An ipod just can’t do this and has to rely on peripheral equipment for that function.   Unfortunately, the Fuze has lost this advantage.

The Dock supplied power, support and a place to put the Fuze, without the need to connect it to anything else.  A dock is a great accessory.  I have 2.  One for my office and one for home.

I would like to suggest that the volume function be restored to the Fuze’s line out.   For me, this represents a completely useless downgrade. I had no trouble retaining my previous headphone volume when undocking the Fuze and I don’t think anyone else did either.

axon

Message Edited by axon01 on 12-15-2008 03:15 AM

I can under stand your frustration. Great over all firmware up grade though…  I prefer  the now fixed audio level!It’s said to have a cleaner sound quality… And how I use the Griffin dock, Home audio system Hookup it’s now ideal. For me!  In a ideal world a menu choice as you mention would be nice. Volume-fixed- variable! Maybe someday.But till then you may have to firmware back to the previous version to make use of your Griffen docks as you do…  Good luck! George

axon01 I agree with you.  I prefer the adjustable volume.  I liked having the option of changing it in the dock as needed.  Sometimes I would want to turn it up or turn it down.  Taking it out, trying to guess if the volume is correct, putting it in and if not repeating until it is, is not ideal at all.

Unfortunately I don’t think I want to go back to the old firmware as I like the audiobooks and podcasts in order.  That is the benefit of this upgrade that I really like. 

So for now, I’ll use the docking station only when I need it for when I’m not sleeping (I would charge it at night and fall asleep to the low volume) and not using my earbuds.  So my docking station won’t get as much use anymore.  Oh well, it does charge it.

George-W wrote:

I can under stand your frustration. Great over all firmware up grade though…  I prefer  the now fixed audio level!It’s said to have a cleaner sound quality… And how I use the Griffin dock, Home audio system Hookup it’s now ideal. For me!  In a ideal world a menu choice as you mention would be nice. Flummoxed- variable! Maybe someday.But till then you may have to firmware back to the previous version to make use of your Griffen docks as you do…  Good luck! George

Hi W

I agree, it’s a great over all firmware upgrade.  :slight_smile:

I’m curious why you prefer the fixed audio level? 

Before the last update, the volume to the dock was only variable in the last 25% so there was no need to change it from your headphone setting when it was docked unless you wanted to.

Regarding a “fixed - variable” setting, isn’t it much easier and more accessible, just to dial the volume up or down from the wheel if needed?  My feeling is that a lot of thought went into that original parameter and they got it right the first time.

The only reason it was changed is because some people were looking for an ipod like line out.  But it’s all about sound quality and the Fuze doesn’t need to try to be like an ipod.  It was better just the way it was.  And if I’m not mistaken, you can listen with headphones while your ipod is charging on a dock.  This, of course, can’t be done with the Fuze because the headphone jack is on the bottom and can’t be accesses while docked.  SanDisk was keenly aware of this and provided an alternate way to listen while docked and still retain the full functions of the dock.  Unfortunately, we no longer have this ability… they got it right the first time.  :slight_smile:

Btw, haven’t tried it yet, but can you listen while on a charging cable like you can with the clip?

axon

I never use the dock with earphones or attach the dock to speakers. I just use it with my home audio system. Some say that sound quality went up with the fixed level output. I can’t speak on that for sure yet. But I’m guessing the quality went up with fixed level output because it takes the volume potentiometer " wheel control " out of the circuit… This is only a guess on my part…  I have yet to hear  the unit docked and played through my system…

Hey for the person that uses the griffin dock hooked up to speakers on the night stand may I suggest small amplified computer speakers with a volume control on them… I believe this would work for you! 

After thinking about it… I could sure live with it either way!  Fixed or variable…  But it would be nice to be able to have a choice in the menu!!

Over all this firmware update is a smash in my book! Thank you Sandisk workers ,developers for taking the time to get this right! Also thanks for all the support on these boards!!! Your attendance and help is outstanding!  George :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by George-W on 12-15-2008 12:25 PM

Btw, haven’t tried it yet, but can you listen while on a charging cable like you can with the clip?

axon

I have a wall charger, and yes, you can listen just fine while it’s attached…either with headphones or a patch cable to home stereo. And my wall charger, if I get it just right, I can usually disconnect it while leaving the stereo cable still attached. :smiley:

Hi Marvin

Could you explain further?  I’m not sure what you’re doing.

What are you disconnecting and why? 

When you mention stereo cable, I’m assuming that it’s a patch cord from the headphone jack???

axon

I believe what Marvin is saying is that he can listen through his ear/headphones or through outside speakers/stereo system via the headphone jack while the unit is connected with an AC wall-type charger.

And he is also saying that he has no problems in using or un-plugging the Sansa 30-pin connector cable while the adjacent headphone jack is occupied. Many people have complained they can’t use both plugs at the same time with them both being located on the bottom of the unit.

@tapeworm wrote:

I believe what Marvin is saying is that he can listen through his ear/headphones or through outside speakers/stereo system via the headphone jack while the unit is connected with an AC wall-type charger.

And he is also saying that he has no problems in using or un-plugging the Sansa 30-pin connector cable while the adjacent headphone jack is occupied. Many people have complained they can’t use both plugs at the same time with them both being located on the bottom of the unit.

Thanks Tapeworm…

I tried it myself this afternoon and was able to plug in the AC charger cable and listen to headphones at the same time.  It  worked alright but was no where as convenient as listening from the dock.  Please try to get that function back for us.

Thanks

axon

@axon01 wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

Thanks Tapeworm…

I tried it myself this afternoon and was able to plug in the AC charger cable and listen to headphones at the same time.  It  worked alright but was no where as convenient as listening from the dock.  Please try to get that function back for us.

Thanks

axon

Tapeworm was pretty much right about what I was saying, I’d only clarify one thing…the 30-pin cable  that I was able to disconnect while the headphone jack was in use was not the factory Sansa cable, it was my wallcharger one. :smiley:

@axon01 wrote:

The only reason it was changed is because some people were looking for an ipod like line out.  But it’s all about sound quality and the Fuze doesn’t need to try to be like an ipod.  It was better just the way it was.  And if I’m not mistaken, you can listen with headphones while your ipod is charging on a dock.  This, of course, can’t be done with the Fuze because the headphone jack is on the bottom and can’t be accesses while docked.  SanDisk was keenly aware of this and provided an alternate way to listen while docked and still retain the full functions of the dock.  Unfortunately, we no longer have this ability… they got it right the first time.  :slight_smile:

axon

Axon, I guess you’re thinking “docked” while it’s plugged into the usb. 

I was talking about a Docking Station.  Where it sits and charges and I can plug in speakers or earbuds into the docking station.  This also uses the USB cord, but you can see the display, listen to and use to be able to change the volume.  Now you can’t change the volume while it’s in there.  So I have to take it out of the docking station, hope I get the correct volume and put it back in.  This also charges my Fuze at the same time so it’s great to listen to music while I’m doing other things without it attached to me.  Of course I don’t mind that, it’s usually attached to me all day at work unless I have to charge it or load something on it.  But it’s nice to listen to it through speakers too.

If you are only using a USB cable the only time you can listen to it at the same tie is when it’s plugged into a wall or car.  Mine’s plugged into my computer right now (loading videos) I can put the headphone jack in there. 

When you connect the player to a “Speaker Dock”  the Fuze goes to the Fixed Line out level,  and the volume is adjusted on  the dock itself which adjust the amplifiers gain…

You dont have to worry about the headphone volume setting,  the device goes to the line out level regardless of the setting.  When you unplug the device it restores the headphone setting.

Likewise when you connect to the Griffin Dock the intent is to connect to a home stereo where the volume is adjusted by the stereo.  The fixed line out gives the best signal quality.

If you connect to a DC charger,  the line out is not activated,  and you can listen to the headphone and adjust volume while charging.

So basically,  line out is what it says,  line out.  Its intended to be used with home stereos and speaker docks.

Sansafix,

Thank you!  For me that works!!  I only use the Griffin dock with my home audio system! Nice work on the Firmware update!  Great job! George

@sansafix wrote:

Likewise when you connect to the Griffin Dock the intent is to connect to a home stereo where the volume is adjusted by the stereo.  The fixed line out gives the best signal quality.

I didn’t buy a griffin dock for my home stereo.  I really don’t have one (except an old record and tape and radio station with 6 inch speakers).

And it worked fine before the update.  I was happy with it.  With being able to change the volume.

Now my griffin dock is pretty useless because I’m not happy playing with the volumne trying to find it by taking it out, putting it in, taking it out etc., until I find the correct volume.  And I don’t need another pair of speakers that have an adjustable volume, mine aren’t the best ($20 cheapees) but they work.  Now my dock is only usable to charge which isn’t the main reason I bought it. 

Invest in a decent pair of computer speakers, about $20, with a volume control.  Altec Lansing has a very nice set for about $29, and a monster one with big subwoofer for $59.  I use an older pair of harmon/kardon speakers that sound very nice, and they have a wee volume knob.

As those who spent years breadboarding prototypes may understand, the Fuze volume trim when docked behaved like a linear taper pot, in retrospect.  The new scheme is better, and will please most users.

My greatest hope is that SanDisk will embrace the idea of designing a dedicated accessory dock for the Fuze, perhaps a cool one with remote, as it looks like the Fuze just might take off.  Perhaps a joint venture with Griffin or Macally?

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Im not a big dock user. Infact I use a direct line from the headphone jack to my sterios. What would rock is a docking system that I could wirelessly connect to my multiple sterio systems. The dock could transmit a signal to a reciever that plugs into the sterio. If you had this and could adjust the volume with the sterio and the fuze it would be good. As for the volume issues I use the dock that i bought for my connect (it was intended for the e200 but it still owrks perfect) for the little bit i do use a dock and I am fine… Perhaps if i updated the dock I would have issues

@dalaug234 wrote:

@axon01 wrote:

axon

Axon, I guess you’re thinking “docked” while it’s plugged into the usb. 

I was talking about a Docking Station.  Where it sits and charges and I can plug in speakers or earbuds into the docking station.  This also uses the USB cord, but you can see the display, listen to and use to be able to change the volume.  Now you can’t change the volume while it’s in there.  So I have to take it out of the docking station, hope I get the correct volume and put it back in.  This also charges my Fuze at the same time so it’s great to listen to music while I’m doing other things without it attached to me.  Of course I don’t mind that, it’s usually attached to me all day at work unless I have to charge it or load something on it.  But it’s nice to listen to it through speakers too.

If you are only using a USB cable the only time you can listen to it at the same tie is when it’s plugged into a wall or car.  Mine’s plugged into my computer right now (loading videos) I can put the headphone jack in there. 

Hey Dalaug234

Don’t get youself in an uproar… :)   I’m on your side. :)

Connecting a Fuze to a stereo is NOT the reason SanDisk made the Fuze dockable.  The purpose of putting a dock on the Fuze is to simplify charging, powering, and connecting the Fuze to  peripheral devices, while at the same time holding the screen at a comfortable viewing angle as you mentioned.  

Peripheral devices include, headphones, powered speakers, stereo systems, headphone amps, recording equipment, outboard equalizers, dynamic range enhancers and compressors, sound shaping equipment (like an Aphex aural exciter for instance), computers, laptops, automobiles and anything else you might want to connect it to.  But the greatest feature of the Griffin dock was (as you said) that you didn’t have to connect it to anything beyond power to be able to use it.

It is as much a place to put the Fuze as anything else. Laptops have docks.  Remote phones have docks.  Heck even land line phones have someplace to hang them up on. 

There are so many reasons why it was a good idea to be able to control the volume of the docked Fuze, (and since that feature was built into the chip anyway), SanDisk wisely included it…  As everyone who has a dock knows, it was never a problem and “I’ll betcha” that plenty of the students who have docks use the volume feature on a regular basis.  It’s so easy.  You don’t have to turn on anything else.  Just dock the fuze, plug in your headphones and you’re good to go.

Don’t worry, they’ll put it back.  It was too good a feature to throw away.

axon

Come On SanDisk! 

Turn The Volume Control Back On !

Message Edited by axon01 on 12-17-2008 02:34 AM

Bob Wrote: 

My greatest hope is that SanDisk will embrace the idea of designing
a dedicated accessory dock for the Fuze, perhaps a cool one with
remote, as it looks like the Fuze just might take off.  Perhaps a joint
venture with Griffin or Macally?

Bob,  This works for me with the Fuze:

Just remove the insert.

Sansa Base station

It has a remote which will adjust the base units volume,  Axon,  you might want to exchange and get one of these.

Message Edited by sansafix on 12-17-2008 12:00 PM

Message Edited by sansafix on 12-17-2008 12:06 PM

I already have my beady little eyes on one!  I just have to wait until after Christmas, since Daddy has to take care of his three wee beaties (girls with Clips, I must add) first.  I like the old-school solid unit too.

And I have already found some tasty plastic to make a revised insert.

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-17-2008 12:06 PM