recording radio to micro sd

Not sure if this question has been asked, but I searched for it to no avail.

Is it possible to record radio programs directly to an inserted micro SD card?

Thanks.

No, the player only records to internal memory. The recordings are in WAV, so they take up a huge amount of space.

Recordings made on the player are also rather low quality. For recording, I suggest that you get a recoder. There are some recorders with built in FM radio. The Clip+ is a very nice player, however it sucks as a recorder.

Thanks.  That is rather disappointing.

I am not looking to have very high quality recordings from radios, so quality isn’t my biggest concern.

jsmith wrote:.

I am not looking to have very high quality recordings from radios, so quality isn’t my biggest concern.

Then the Clip+ should be just fine for your needs. It records reasonably well from the FM radio; it’s the Voice recording quality that isn’t up to a lot of people’s standards. It’s meant to be for leaving yourself little ‘memos’ like grocery lists, to-do lists, things like that. It’s not built or designed to get the latest sound-bite from a news conference or record a lecture in a big, echoy hall. It’s a convenience recorder . . . that’s all.

The FM recording feature though, like I said isn’t bad. You just have to work around it’s limitations. It will only record in WAV format, which makes huge files and only records to the internal memory space, so you have to leave enough room for whatever you plan to record. If you want to save the recordings, you can transfer them after the fact to an SD memory card; either as they are, or convert them down to .mp3 format so they take up less space.

Why cant the firmware be updated to allow recording on SD card? Internal memory is limited but a much bigger SD card can be added. I thought the voice recording was pretty reasonable as when played back it reproduced pretty low frequency sounds like banging doors very well - not something you expect from a tiny mic!

@bracken wrote:

Why cant the firmware be updated to allow recording on SD card?

Because the hardware doesn’t support it.

It is what it is–best bet is, after the recording is made, transfer it off the player’s internal memory. You likely would want to do that anyway, given the larger size of the WAV file (and you likely may want to convert the file to mp3 or another less size-intensive format).

Sucks is a bit strong, it does a decent job for the occasional voice recording, although to be sure a dedicated recorder is better. Never tried FM recording, but I imagine one would use this to record voice when for some reason or other you couldtn’t listen in real time. If you ae going to do much of this, leave the main memory devoid of music to avoid running out space.

I don’t own a Clip, but I believe that Rockbox can record to where ever you tell it to. If you don’t know what Rockbox is, see this Wikipedia page for more info. Be warned: Rockbox comes with a risk: Rockbox doesn’t come with any warantee, and will likely void the Sandisk warranty if installed.

That said, if you want to try it, see HERE for more installation instructions, known issues, and pretty much anything else you might need to know before installing Rockbox.