Questions about Sansa Clip+ units purchased at different stores: are there any slight differences?

Hello all-

My spouse and I each bought a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4GB at different stores on the same day.  We plan to keep only one and the packaging is slightly different so after a brief purchase background I have a few questions as to any differences between the two so as to solicit advice as to which to keep and which to return.

PURCHASE BACKGROUND:

Both units were priced the same, both have the same UPC, and the return polices/warranties for both stores appear to be identical.  The color of each is identical (black) and the copyright year for the packaging on the rear is 2010 for both, that is:  © 2010 SanDisk Corpation.  We have not broken the seal on either packaging box and do not plan to to facilitate the return of one.

What’s different?

I purchased my unit at H.H.Gregg here in the U.S. and the number above the identical UPC is:

SDMX18R-004GK-A57

And below the UPC is the number:

80-56-09564-004G

My spouse purchased at Best Buy and the number above the UPC is:

SDMX18R-004GK-A57B

And below the UPC is:

80-56-09570-004G

Further, the one purchased at H.H.Gregg indicates “Rhapsody software” and the Rhapsody logo underneath “Quick start guide” in the column of “Contents” on the left side of the box whereas the one purchased at Best Buy has no mention of Rhapsody on the exterior of the box.  And except for a white banner with “Sansa Clip+ 4 GB” on the face at bottom of the box purchased at Best Buy, the packaging type, graphics and colors seem to be identical.  Both made in China.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Does anyone know of any slight differences between the two?

2.   Does the one contain Rhapsody software and the other not and if so is the inclusion of this software an extra benefit?  (Never used Rhapsody but my understanding is that it is similar to iTunes?  Any opinions about it welcome, though I’ve never used iTunes and may not a similar service.  Does the software take up extra space and is it difficult to remove if I don’t want it?)

3.  I suspect the number above ending in “-A57B” (that is, with a “B” versus the one without it) indicates Sansa units shipped to and sold through Best Buy, hence the “B”.  Is this correct?

4.  However, what might describe the difference between the two bottom numbers, the middle parts of which are “-09570-” and “-09564-”?  Is the “-09570-” a slightly later model?  (Again, the “-09570-” is the one from HHGregg, without any indication of Rhapsody.)

5.  Which would you keep, or is this just a case of flip a coin?

Sorry for the nit-picky questions, but I recall reading some interest in different hardware version numbers with other Sansa units and the desireability of one over the other and wondered whether there might be an updated hardware version at play here as well.

Thanks for your time! :slight_smile:

=================================================

Edited to correct a typo: 

The first number for the unit purchased at Best Buy should have a “B” appended on the end, as I wrote under “MY QUESTIONS.”  That is:

SDMX18R-004GK-A57B

=================================================

Edit #2 to correct a typo:

“column” vs. “colum”

@jvrijn wrote:

Hello all-

We plan to keep only one and the packaging is slightly different so after a brief purchase background I have a few questions as to any differences between the two so as to solicit advice as to which to keep and which to return.

They’re identical and there is only 1 version of the Clip+. The only difference is packaging.

But I’d keep them both; that way you won’t be fighting over it. :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

They’re identical and there is only 1 version of the Clip+. The only difference is packaging.

But I’d keep them both; that way you won’t be fighting over it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your quick reply. :smiley:

Do you know what then describes the difference in the two latter numbers under my Question 4 then, that is “-09564-” versus “-09570-”?  (Assume the addition of the “B” in the first number for the Best Buy purchase indicates a Best Buy distribution, correct?)  Could the other numbers indicate a different firmware version?  Could there be some freebies one includes which the other does not? :smileyvery-happy:

More specifically, are you familiar with the numbers to which I’m referring?

(They both include the Rhapsody software?)

I wanted to keep both, but that idea was vetoed. :cry:

Thanks againl. :))

@jvrijn wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. :smiley:

Do you know what then describes the difference in the two latter numbers under my Question 4 then, that is “-09564-” versus “-09570-”?  (Assume the addition of the “B” in the first number for the Best Buy purchase indicates a Best Buy distribution, correct?)

@No, I don’t. Those numbers could probably be deciphered by someone in the know @ SanDisk, but I would guess they’re production numbers (plant location, [coded] date of manufacture, stuff like that). They really don’t matter to the consumer.

Could the other numbers indicate a different firmware version? 

Doubt it; they all come with the same firmware from the factory. Besides, the latest updates are always here, so even if it did, it wouldn’t matter.

Could there be some freebies one includes which the other does not? :smileyvery-happy:

Nope.

More specifically, are you familiar with the numbers to which I’m referring?

I know where they are, but as I said, they don’t matter in the least to the consumer. I think you’re putting too much emphasis on them and over-analyzing.

(They both include the Rhapsody software?)

CRhapsody offers a limited-time free trial offer. They all have the capability of using the service, or not.

I wanted to keep both, but that idea was vetoed. :cry:

That’s too bad. If you’ve got to return one of them, choose the one where the store is closest to your house.That way you save time & gas.

In other words, it simply doesn’t matter. :smiley:

Thanks againl. :))

Rhapsody is a paid-for music subscription service–in exchange for your monthly payment (what is it now, around US $10?), you get access to the huge library of songs Rhapsody has, for use on your player.  However, if you ever drop the service, you lose the ability to play any of the Rhapsody songs, even if you previously downloaded them.  Although this business model never has appealed to me, I’ve read some analyses and it really can be cost-effective.

At least originally, Clips came with a Rhapsody offer (and sometimes a disk) for a free month of Rhapsody (really, to try to draw you in).  However, I believe that the same offer is available at the Rhapsody website, and so if you didn’t get the offer with your Clip and want to check it out, try the website.

Otherwise:  as far as I am aware, a Clip+ is a Clip+ is a Clip±-no differences, at least from the user and use perspective.  It always is possible that some of the innards are slightly different (different manfs., for example), but no one has documented that. 

Otherwise:  as far as I am aware, a Clip+ is a Clip+ is a Clip±-no differences, at least from the user and use perspective.  It always is possible that some of the innards are slightly different (different manfs., for example), but no one has documented that. 

Actually, someone has documented that…:wink:

"Clip+ variants

The Clip+ comes is a couple of variants:

• There are two slightly different OLED controllers, the new one no longer needs a 2-pixel offset and is different w.r.t. brightness/contrast setting. This is auto-detected in Rockbox.
  • The FM tuner chip can vary, either SI4702 (old) or RDA5802 (new), this is also the case on fuze v2. The FM tuner chip is auto-detected by Rockbox. The variant is visible in the HwInfo diagnostic screen in the original firmware.
  • The settings for the SD card controller can vary, this is also the case on fuze v2. In the HwInfo diagnostic screen in the original firmware, this can be seen as either “HERMON” (old) or “COMBO4E” (new)."

From http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaClip

@marvin_martian wrote:

"Clip+ variants

• There are two slightly different OLED controllers, the new one no longer needs a 2-pixel offset and is different w.r.t. brightness/contrast setting. This is auto-detected in Rockbox.
  • The FM tuner chip can vary, either SI4702 (old) or RDA5802 (new), this is also the case on fuze v2. The FM tuner chip is auto-detected by Rockbox. The variant is visible in the HwInfo diagnostic screen in the original firmware.
  • The settings for the SD card controller can vary, this is also the case on fuze v2. In the HwInfo diagnostic screen in the original firmware, this can be seen as either “HERMON” (old) or “COMBO4E” (new)."

MM-

Interesting, thank you for researching it! :)  I tried before my post but came up dry.

Thus far then the differences look objective?  I’d be particularly interested in subjective performance distinctions between the tuner chips, if any, as the radio will be getting daily use.  Any favor to relate in other hardware differences such as screen brightness/contrast also welcome.

Regardless, I suppose there is no way to discriminate between the two by the package box numbers and that a hands-on diagnostics is necessary?

Thanks all for the other replies, particularly the Rhapsody insights.

(As an aside, I’m curious to learn if there are any sound quality differences–dynamics, range, volume, whatever–between the Clip+ and larger Sansa units such as the Fuze or is same-track playback on each indistinguishable?)

Thank you! :smileyvery-happy:

JVR

@jvrijn wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

"Clip+ variants

MM-

Interesting, thank you for researching it! :)  I tried before my post but came up dry.

Thus far then the differences look objective?  I’d be particularly interested in subjective performance distinctions between the tuner chips, if any, as the radio will be getting daily use.  Any favor to relate in other hardware differences such as screen brightness/contrast also welcome.

Regardless, I suppose there is no way to discriminate between the two by the package box numbers and that a hands-on diagnostics is necessary?

Thanks all for the other replies, particularly the Rhapsody insights.

(As an aside, I’m curious to learn if there are any sound quality differences–dynamics, range, volume, whatever–between the Clip+ and larger Sansa units such as the Fuze or is same-track playback on each indistinguishable?)

Thank you! :smileyvery-happy:

JVR

JVR, I don’t think there should be any performance difference between them. Most likely the changes occurred due to a different supplier offering a better price  on a part to SanDisk. My two Clip+ players both appear the same in every way. And as far as comparing them to the Fuze, I have two Fuzes as well, and they all seem to play and sound the same way, at least using the Sansa firmware.:smiley:

Ah, had forgotten about the Rockbox documentation.

From a user perspective, and again as far as I am aware, there is no difference.  Just enjoy your player.