Problems adding files to Sansa Clip +

First time I did this, there were no problems. But on my second attempt, none of the files I added appeared on my computer, despite everything else having seemingly gone normally. When I tried again, WMP tells me that each of the files (CD tracks) have already been added. But they’re not there.

Some other weird things have happened since my first upload. Now when I hook up the Clip to my PC, ‘My Computer’ doesn’t show Sansa Clip+ 8GB as before, it shows SansaClipp, and when you click on this, there’s no longer any internal memory, just the music files, which don’t bear any relation to what’s actually on the Clip.

Also, when I connect the Clip to my PC, the latter thinks the former is a photo card.

Finally, even though I’ve only got about 100 songs on my Clp from the first uploads, WMP says there’s only about 1.3 of space left.

What has happened? How can I go back to how it was? My WMP is a mess now and I’ve got in a complete flap.

Any help greatly appreciated - thanks

Ah, the joys of Auto Defect Mode. Your player has 3 USB settings; MSC, MTP & Auto Detect. When in Auto mode, it can connect in either mode without your knowledge or permission.

Why is this important? Because your computer cannot ‘see’ files while connected on the other mode from which the files were originally transferred in. So go into Settings > System Settings > USB Mode and manually select MTP mode and you should be able to see your former files.

The player doesn’t care which mode the files are transferred in. It will see and play them regardless. But it can make for major confusion isues for the user unless one mode is manually selected and used consistently.

Ah, the joys of Auto Defect Mode. Your player has 3 USB settings; MSC, MTP & Auto Detect. When in Auto mode, it can connect in either mode (MSC or MTP) without your knowledge or permission.

Why is this important? Because your computer cannot ‘see’ files while connected on the other mode from which the files were originally transferred in. So go into Settings > System Settings > USB Mode and manually select MTP mode and you should be able to see your former files.

The player doesn’t care which mode the files are transferred in. It will see and play them regardless. But it can make for major confusion isues for the user unless one mode is manually selected and used consistently.

Cowon and Samsung players don’t have the silly Auto-defect mode…they just offer the two sensible choices, MSC and MTP. I wish Sansa would follow suit. :confounded:

Great - that’s done the trick. Thanks so much for that. My player seemed to care very much which mode the files were transferred in - it didn’t  have anything to do with them. 

Thanks again.