Problem with files not showing (after changing USB mode)

I have a sansa fuze 4GB. version V02.01.09A. OS: Vista Service Pack 1. my fuze had been working just fine until about a week ago when it stopped charging. but after installing the new norton 360 sansa no longer showed up under my computer or Windows media player at all. i tried updating the driver but it said the driver was already up to date. i tried other USB ports (front and back), still didn’t work. i decided to change the USB mode and it finally began charging again under the MSC mode.

now for the problem i’m currently having, when i click on sansa through my computer and go into the music folder, it says “this folder is empty”. i disconnected and looked in my music list and all the music is there. i tried to put a new song on the player, disconnected, and when looking through the player’s songs the new song is there. i reconnected, the new song is in the music folder, but the other songs are not listed. also, i have a microSD card that is listed as “o” drive, all the songs i had on that do show up, just not the ones on the sansa’s internal memory.

how can i get it to list all the song files in the folder again?

note: i do not use sync as there are only certain songs i want on my sansa. the way i add songs is through copy and paste into the sansa player’s folder

@rika24 wrote:

I have a sansa fuze 4GB. version V02.01.09A. OS: Vista Service Pack 1. my fuze had been working just fine until about a week ago when it stopped charging. but after installing the new norton 360 sansa no longer showed up under my computer or Windows media player at all. i tried updating the driver but it said the driver was already up to date. i tried other USB ports (front and back), still didn’t work. i decided to change the USB mode and it finally began charging again under the MSC mode.

now for the problem i’m currently having, when i click on sansa through my computer and go into the music folder, it says “this folder is empty”. i disconnected and looked in my music list and all the music is there. i tried to put a new song on the player, disconnected, and when looking through the player’s songs the new song is there. i reconnected, the new song is in the music folder, but the other songs are not listed. also, i have a microSD card that is listed as “o” drive, all the songs i had on that do show up, just not the ones on the sansa’s internal memory.

how can i get it to list all the song files in the folder again?

note: i do not use sync as there are only certain songs i want on my sansa. the way i add songs is through copy and paste into the sansa player’s folder

Anything added in one USB mode will be invisible in the other USB mode. So you have to take the invisible ones off, and then add them again in the MSC mode, then you shoulld be able to see them again.:smiley:

so in other words i have to go through the music list on my sansa and delete each song one at a time and then readd them? or is there another way? (as some of those songs are no longer on my computer - note to self, must back up my music files from now on) and how come the mode change didn’t do anything to the microSD card?

also, was there any reason sansa stopped working in the other mode it was originally in?

Message Edited by Rika24 on 06-21-2009 12:17 AM

Try reinstalling your driver.  Norton may somehow be blocking the connection to the fuze.  I also suggest removing your microsdhc card before you do this. 

Then switch back to MTP mode and see if your songs are again showing up.

The MTP driver is in Windows Media Player, so try reinstalling that.

Or, disconnect from the internet, turn off Norton, see if you can connect to the Sansa, get the music off it and onto a folder on your computer, and then put it back via MSC. Don’t forget to turn on the antivirus before you go online. 

ok, i have no idea why or how, but it’s working now in MTP mode. i saw you’re solutions but i decided that i’ll just try changing the mode back before i try you’re ideas. before i reconnected i also removed the microSD card and it worked perfectly (made a backup of my songs). could the problem have been the sd card all along?

Glad that all is well with your fuze again.  

Initially, when your fuze stopped charging, if it was in MTP or autodetect mode, the fuze will stop the charging operation if it cannot connect properly to the computer.  That was probably what caused your fuze to stop charging in the beginning.  In autodetect, it’ll try to connect via MTP mode first.

MTP is only needed for syncing through WMP and for subscription services.  It’s less headaches to stay with MSC mode.  Once Sandisk added folder nav, I stopped using MTP for playlists completely and have stuck with MSC only ever since.

well thanks for the help everyone, you made this newbie feel welcome :slight_smile: