Problem since updating firmware to latest...

Hello, I’m new to this forum. I’ve had my Fuze for several years now, and just recently started having prolems with it. It never had any problems, until I updated the firmware. Since then, it will get to a song and just freeze up. The only way to get it to work again is to reboot the player. Another note, when rebooting it always says “refreshing media” after it froze. I find that strange. 

Firmware version is : V01.02.31A

I’m sorry if this has been answered already…hope to get this fixed!

Perhaps the firmware install did not work properly.

I suggest you do the manual install again: download the v1 firmware, unzip, drag fuzeA.bin onto the Fuze drive in My Computer.

If that doesn’t help, check back in. And if it does, let us know!

Just out of curiousity, are you using a memory card in the microSD/microSDHC slot?  If you are, try removing it and see if it works OK. I just replaced my old Fuze and it takes 15 minutes to start up with the new one, even after doing a manual firmware update, but as someone mentioned in another thread, they removed the external memory card and it worked fine. I’ve tried the same thing and get the same results. If I remove the memory card and boot up, the ‘refreshing media’ message only lasts a minute or so.

(see the thread http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-Freeze-s-at-Welcome-Screen-HELP/td-p/85384 for more)

Hay there,

I too had troubles. Although, I did find I forgot that my SD-card, was in the unit. I reloaded from the utility, and it said it was successful, as I remember, but when I removed the cable, I got a blank screen. I held the lock/ power button in the, “on” for a reset, for 15-seconds. And what yah know, it worked fine after that…

I’d prefer that firmware updates:

– Remind us that you have to remove the SD-card (or other required conditions)

– Don’t crash the unit

– Don’t reset all the users settings

Bruce

Ok so I manually updated the firmware, and then went back to a couple songs that gave me trouble. The fuze freezes for about 15 seconds, then plays the song. It’s only on select songs/album…this wasn’t a problem until after the f/w update.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that I’m only using the internal memory of the fuze…no sd card.

Format the disk.  When it crashed it may have corrupted the file system.

@saratoga wrote:

I don’t quite get your reasoning behind wanting me to format the fuze…the player froze up, it didn’t crash…can you explain?

@jamesrf02 wrote:

@saratoga wrote:

I don’t quite get your reasoning behind wanting me to format the fuze…

As I said above, crashes can corrupt the file system.  

JamesRF02 wrote:

the player froze up, it didn’t crash…can you explain?

You said above that you had a “crash”.  Is that incorrect?  If so, what actually happened?

You said above that you had a “crash”.  Is that incorrect?  If so, what actually happened?

I never said it crashed, I said that it freezes…What happens is it plays fine but gets to a few songs and freezes up and sometimes will play the song after a long delay and sometimes it stops responding all together and it has to be turned off and back on.

Does it act this way on the same songs, or at random? If the same, what is different about those files that’s causing the freeze-up? Are they a different format (.mp3 vs. .flac or .ogg for example)? Have you checked the ID3 tags to see if there are any foreign characters, a different format of tag, or unneccessary junk in the Comments field?

Saratoga has a good suggestion though. If tags or format aren’t the issue, formatting can sometimes clear up un-explained problems.

It’s certain songs…i’ll check the files.

It sounds like the Fuze is struggling to read those certain files.

Check the songs with tagging software like mp3tag.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Install mp3tag.  When you install, let it add itself to context menus (an option while installing).

Open mp3tag and in Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg make the Write option ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

Right-click on the song or album that’s giving you a problem and use mp3tag to open it.

Highlight all the files and Save them (under files). You’ve converted them to ID3v2.3 Windows encoding, the Fuze’s favorite format.

Look in Comments. Just blank them out on the Fuze (<blank> in the Comments menus). People stick all kinds of junk in there and the Fuze tries to read it all.

There may also be big imbedded images. Look at View/Extended Tags to see if each song has the album cover in it. Highlight  one, click Extract (boxes on the right) to have it made into a separate jpg. Then highlight all the files and click the X in the box on the right to remove the images. Big images can really slow things down.

1 Like

@black_rectangle wrote:

It sounds like the Fuze is struggling to read those certain files.

Check the songs with tagging software like mp3tag.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Install mp3tag.  When you install, let it add itself to context menus (an option while installing).

Open mp3tag and in Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg make the Write option ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

Right-click on the song or album that’s giving you a problem and use mp3tag to open it.

Highlight all the files and Save them (under files). You’ve converted them to ID3v2.3 Windows encoding, the Fuze’s favorite format.

Look in Comments. Just blank them out on the Fuze (<blank> in the Comments menus). People stick all kinds of junk in there and the Fuze tries to read it all.

There may also be big imbedded images. Look at View/Extended Tags to see if each song has the album cover in it. Highlight  one, click Extract (boxes on the right) to have it made into a separate jpg. Then highlight all the files and click the X in the box on the right to remove the images. Big images can really slow things down.

Black-Rectangle…thank you! That program did the trick. I went and looked, and the mp3’s that froze the fuze had a pic in each of them and a website as the comment. I deleted them, then played them and they work perfectly now. It also sped up some songs playback that before took several seconds to begin playing.

Before I put any album on the Fuze I run it through mp3tag.

Blank comments.

Make sure Artist is all the same (because you may have X featuring Y as the artist on a track or two).

Look at Extended Tags for imbedded images.

Use Tools/Auto-Numbering Wizard with Leading Zeroes option because the Fuze like that.

All changes save tags as IDv2.3 ISO-8859-0.

The Fuze has a tiny little brain. It can’t handle all the things people imbed.

I have been listening to a lot of audiobooks for quite some time now.

Lately I have been tagging them with JPG’s of the book cover but I make sure to keep the file size small, under 50 kb.

I have noticed no problem but it may just be me.

Little jpgs aren’t a problem. But some people put .png images or big jpgs in, and those do cause problems, so imbedded images are one of the first things I suspect when files choke the Fuze.