Simplified way to create multiple playlists using out of box settings. No special transfer mode, etc.
Here is how I created multiple playlists on the Sansa Clip.
1. Plug in Clip to PC
2. Navigate to Internal Memory directory via Windows Explorer or My Computer, etc.
3. Right click on Playlist and select create playlist. If it gives you a message about no media, then go to the Albums or Audiobook directory and select an Album and do the same thing. Rename as appropriate. i.e. Country.pla
Or , if you have a playlist already created, then you can copy it and rename it to whatever you want.
Either way, you will probably have to remove the songs you don’t want from that newly created list. I use Rhapsody for that part.
4. Move these .pla files to the Internal Memory directory. They will not be in the playlist directory
5. Start music manager (Rhapsody in my case) Select the Clip and it will find all the music and playlists there.
6. In Rhapsody, cleanup the newly created playlists if needed.
7. You can load the playlist by select songs already on the Clip and right click -> add to device playlist, or you can go to your PC library and drop and drag music to the playlist. This will also add it to the Clip.
8. Disconnect, let Clip Refresh Database
9. Enjoy your new playlists.
p.s. I have three playlists FastSongs, SlowSongs, Country(created to verify the list above) and they all work great. So far, I love the clip.