Playlists

Hi.

On both my Sansa Fuze and on the Sansa Clip, I notice that sometimes when I make a playlist things go weird.  Sometimes after I make a new one, old ones now contain the songs of the new one.  Or, the first song of the playlist plays fine, then it’ll jump to songs on another playlist.  If I only have one or two playlists, it seems to be fine, but three or more seem to confuse my sansa.  

Anyone else have problems like this? 

Thanks. 

bump

There are probably a thousand threads on here about playlists, all of the playlist issues are caused by different things. I would suggest you do an extensive search of these forums about playlists and see if one of the results it brings is your solution. If not… Post one here more details primarily what you are doing to create the playlist and then the method you are using to add the playlist to the player.

I’ve searched the playlist threads and it doesn’t look they have the same problem.  The method I’m using is to view the sansa contents on the computer, highlight them and right click.  Then I click on ‘create playlist’ and it creates a playlist.  Then I can add songs, delete them or switch around the order or rename it.  The trouble is that sometimes when I make a list, it’ll play the first song and then it’ll go to a song from another list - or a song that’s not even on a list.  More recently I tried to make two lists, so I made “List A” and then made “List B”, but when I opened “List A” - none of the songs were there, they were all the songs from “List B.”

It’s possibly just my sansa with this problem out of all the sansas in the world, but I’m sure someone out there has had the same problem and maybe there’s a better way to do this.  I’m not very computer literate, so the easier the method is, the more likely I am to use it. 

Thanks in advance. :smiley:

@claudine wrote:

I’ve searched the playlist threads and it doesn’t look they have the same problem.  The method I’m using is to view the sansa contents on the computer, highlight them and right click.  Then I click on ‘create playlist’ and it creates a playlist.  Then I can add songs, delete them or switch around the order or rename it.  The trouble is that sometimes when I make a list, it’ll play the first song and then it’ll go to a song from another list - or a song that’s not even on a list.  More recently I tried to make two lists, so I made “List A” and then made “List B”, but when I opened “List A” - none of the songs were there, they were all the songs from “List B.”

It’s possibly just my sansa with this problem out of all the sansas in the world, but I’m sure someone out there has had the same problem and maybe there’s a better way to do this.  I’m not very computer literate, so the easier the method is, the more likely I am to use it. 

You are obviously using a program to create the playlist. What is that program. And then you are having to transfer the playlist information to the player so how are you doing that? You have to use the right method to create and add the playlist to the player in ordr to get it to work. So knowing this info is essential for us to help you.

@conversionbox wrote:

@claudine wrote:

You are obviously using a program to create the playlist. What is that program. And then you are having to transfer the playlist information to the player so how are you doing that? You have to use the right method to create and add the playlist to the player in ordr to get it to work. So knowing this info is essential for us to help you.

CB is very right. Try to answer his questions. I’d like to add another hint, which might help to narrow things down: Have a look at the playlists you have created/modified by any “magic” program. Locate the playlist file on the computer (extension .m3u I would guess) and open it with a text editor (e.g. wordpad). The content is just a list of file names. Does it match your intented collection and order?

I don’t do it in a program and then upload it into the sansa, it seems to do it right on the device.  Here are the steps I take:

1. I connect the sansa

2. Go into ‘my computer’ click on ‘sansa fuze 4 gb’

3. Click on ‘Internal Memory’ then it has several folders

4. Then I go to music

5. I highlight the songs I want

6. Right click and it has a drop down menu

7. Select ‘create playlist’ and it makes the list always called ‘new playlist’

8. Then I can rename it if I want.  

If it matters, I use Windows Vista to view the files and it says the playlist is a ‘PLA file’ and the songs are there in the order I want.  I hope this helps - I really don’t know what else to tell you.  

@claudine wrote:

I don’t do it in a program and then upload it into the sansa, it seems to do it right on the device.  Here are the steps I take:

1. I connect the sansa
  1. Go into ‘my computer’ click on ‘sansa fuze 4 gb’
  1. Click on ‘Internal Memory’ then it has several folders
  1. Then I go to music
  1. I highlight the songs I want
  1. Right click and it has a drop down menu
  1. Select ‘create playlist’ and it makes the list always called ‘new playlist’
  1. Then I can rename it if I want.  

If it matters, I use Windows Vista to view the files and it says the playlist is a ‘PLA file’ and the songs are there in the order I want.  I hope this helps - I really don’t know what else to tell you.  

This is Windows Media Player’s integration with Windows Explorer.  So even though it’s not obvious, you are using WMP and your USB mode is MTP.  In general, the procedure you describe should work fine.  However, WMP is pretty flaky and I believe you can run into problems if you are manually creating playlist and also automatically syncing with WMP.  It’s probably best to stick to one method or the other.

Also, make sure you have the latest FW for your Fuze.