Playlist error

Hi everybody,

I try to create a playlist but without success.

I created a .m3u file but when I Drag and Drop it to the Sansa Clip Media\Playlists directory, I have this error: “The Test.M3U file type is not supported on this device.”

Does somebody knows how to resolve the problem? 

Searching the forum I have saw people telling to use the contexte menu but I don’t have any menu option to create a playlist.

Any help will be appreicated :o) 

Is your Clip in MSC mode?

Ok, it is now better in MSC mode. I don’t see any MP3 files but I can copy the M3U File in the Sansa Clip “Music” directory and I can see the name of the file in the Playlist menu.

But when I choose this playlist, it is like it not recognized it. Here is how looks my M3U file:

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:0,Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me.mp3
Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me.mp3

#EXTINF:0,Marvin Gaye - Mother Mother.mp3
Marvin Gaye - Mother Mother.mp3

Any idea?

Thanks!

Do you have any songs on the Clip?  What do you mean when you say your playlist was not recognized … what happens when you select it?

Yes, the song are in the Clip.

When I select the playlist, on the “yellow” part of the display (at the top), I have the name of the playlist on the top-left and the battery display at the top-right.

On the “blue part” of the display (where information are displayed), it’s all black but with two little blue squares, one under the name of the playlist and one under the battery.

And the Clip can not play any song (not functionnal).

Yeah, I’ve seen that display you’re describing (two little squares) when I’ve hacked around with creating playlists manually and using MSC mode.

I’m pretty sure there’s another thread in the forum that describes how to do what you’re trying to do … you’ll have to do a search ( try “playlist” and “MSC” ), or maybe some helpful forum participant will come along and post a link.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-21-2008 01:05 PM

If you make the playlist in WMP and sync it using WMP i don’t see there being a problem, unless you don’t like WMP.

I’d like to ask a quick question on this subject:  I just got my Clip a few days ago, LOVE it so far.  I’ve used WMP and MediaMonkey Gold to transfer songs to the player.  I didn’t create playlists in WMP, just dragged the audio books over, in MediaMonkey I created an auto-playlist based on genre tags and synced some songs to the Clip, but when I looked on the player, there weren’t any playlists under the playlist tab on the menu, just my current audio book, and the songs I’d copied over.  What I’m thinking is that if you “sync” using an application, it just copies the files to the player.  Is there a way to actually have the player have a playlist “list” on it?  SO if I’m in the car and I want to bring up my list, or my wife’s, or the kid’s list, we’d hear ONLY those songs?  There was a reference to “dragging” a playlist to the Clip from WMP, is that possible?  Like, instead of dragging individual songs to the sync bar in WMP, I could create playlists, and drag those over, and it would copy the songs, and on the player I could play the songs by playlist?

I sync autoplaylists from MediaMonkey to my Clip all the time.  Maybe it only works if your Clip is in MTP mode?  I’d test this myself but I’m too lazy tonight.

One thing you might need to be careful of; don’t attempt to sync more songs to the Clip than it can hold.  In MediaMonkey’s case, it warns you when this is going to happen, but doesn’t actually stop you from syncing.  I think I’ve seen playlists not get synced in this situation, possibly they’re synced last so they never get synced when the Clip is full.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-21-2008 09:35 PM

@promisedplanet wrote:

I sync autoplaylists from MediaMonkey to my Clip all the time.  Maybe it only works if your Clip is in MTP mode?  I’d test this myself but I’m too lazy tonight.

One thing you might need to be careful of; don’t attempt to sync more songs to the Clip than it can hold.  In MediaMonkey’s case, it warns you when this is going to happen, but doesn’t actually stop you from syncing.  I think I’ve seen playlists not get synced in this situation, possibly they’re synced last so they never get synced when the Clip is full.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-21-2008 09:35 PM

Thanks for your reply.  I left mine at auto detect so I don’t know what mode it’s in.  It worked with MM and WMP.  And, funny you should mention it, the last time I sync’d w/ MM I did try it with too many songs, and it didn’t give me that message until the end.  I’ll try it with less songs tomorrow.  So you say that if I generate an autoplaylist and sync it to the Clip, when I look under playlists I’ll see the playlist?  And I can do that multipule times (e.g. playlist1, playlist2, etc) and play different songs from each one?

THanks again for your reply! 

SkyRocker wrote:

So you say that if I generate an autoplaylist and sync it to the Clip, when I look under playlists I’ll see the playlist?  And I can do that multipule times (e.g. playlist1, playlist2, etc) and play different songs from each one?

Yep.  And the really nice thing about MediaMonkey is that you can have auto-playlists that either include or exclude other playlists.  This actually makes it a lot easier to have playlists and automatically select no more songs than will fit on your Clip.

For example, I have on my Clip two playlists, one with my highly rated songs, and one with songs I haven’t heard yet.  I want all of my highly rated songs on my Clip (I know they’ll fit), and the other playlist changes as I listen to songs.  So here’s what I did in MediaMonkey:

1. Create auto playlist of songs with rating >= 4 stars
  1. Create auto playlist of songs with playcount = 0
  1. Create auto playlist of songs from playlist 1 AND playlist 2, sorted in descending order by rating, with total size of playlist limited to 3400 MB (which I know will fit onto my 4GB Clip)
  1. Create an auto playlist of songs with playcount = 0 AND are from playlist 3
  1. Set up my Clip to sync playlist 1 and playlist 4

Now whenever I sync my Clip, I have playlist 1 and playlist 4, updated automatically, and always containing the right number of songs to nearly fill out my Clip.

The last time I checked, neither WMP nor Winamp had this kind of flexibility. 

@promisedplanet wrote:

@skyrocker wrote:

So you say that if I generate an autoplaylist and sync it to the Clip, when I look under playlists I’ll see the playlist?  And I can do that multiple times (e.g… playlist1, playlist2, etc) and play different songs from each one?

Yep.  And the really nice thing about MediaMonkey is that you can have auto-playlists that either include or exclude other playlists.  This actually makes it a lot easier to have playlists and automatically select no more songs than will fit on your Clip.

AWESOME!  This is *exactly* what I’d like to do.  Mostly the clip will be for my 2 hour commute back and forth to work: some songs, podcasts, audio books, etc.   For family trips I’d like to change it so that we have a playlist for myself, the wife, and 2 boys (10 and 4).  We all share some songs in common, the older boy and I share musical tastes (rock, alternative, classic rock), and the wife and younger boy like pretty much the same (easy listening, pop, top 40) so there would be some overlap, but not having to copy the same songs multiple times saves space, and have separate lists creates harmony!

Thanks for the tips, I’m saving them to a TXT file for reference to create the lists!