Player with AM/FM HD radio, inexpensive easily swappable battery, and a full sized SDXC card slot?

How about it? It would be great if the player uses a standard, cheap cell phone battery like the Motorola BR50 for example. Spare batteries are easy to find and very inexpensive on the net, as are chargers to charge spare batteries outside the player. Think about a robust battery system that is simple and inexpensive, which will allow the user to not run out of power for their mp3 player.

Message Edited by JK98 on 11-13-2009 02:11 PM

At this point the cheapest portable HD radio I know of (Best Buy) is about the same price as a clip+  and FM radio is the only thing it does.

How much extra would you pay if HD was the only added feature?

Message Edited by donp on 12-15-2009 09:13 AM

“How much extra would you pay if HD was the only added feature?”

Perhaps up to $35 extra for a Fuze with AM/FM HD radio added. Having just FM HD though wouldn’t be of such great value to me, as I like to listen to news and talk radio on AM. I realize that some AM stations are simulcast on FM HD channels, but not all of them are. Having variable speed playback with pitch correction and the ability to multitask would be interesting. I would like to be able to record an HD radio broadcast while listening to a podcast or music, then later play it back at 1.4 or 1.5x.

Can you even buy SDXC cards yet? Regardless that is very new technology. Give them a chance to catch up.

:wink:

I keep thinking how nice it would be to have an mp3 player that uses an easily swappable 18650 Lion battery. I could buy spares for under $5 each, and buy a charger that charges one or two at a time for under $10. The 18650 battery has 9 times the capacity of the battery in the Clip+.

Message Edited by JK98 on 01-20-2010 12:10 AM

AM antennas are bulky compared to the mini mp3 players commonly on the market.  THe only one I know with AM and FM (no HD), plus record off the radio or input jack is the CC witness, for a couple hundred bucks.  

“AM antennas are bulky compared to the mini mp3 players commonly on the market”

I don’t really buy this argument, as I have some tiny AM/FM radios (Sony SRF M97, Sony SRFS83) that are only around 50% larger than a Clip+(and perhaps slightly smaller than Sandisk Slotradio player). The AM antenna in the SRFS83 is quite small, being much smaller than a AAA battery. Not every mp3 player needs to be close in size to the Clip+. The important thing is that it be small enough to comfortably fit in a typical shirt pocket.

http://www.fixup.net/tips/srfs83/srfs83.htm

@jk98 wrote:

“AM antennas are bulky compared to the mini mp3 players commonly on the market”

I don’t really buy this argument, as I have some tiny AM/FM radios (Sony SRF M97, Sony SRFS83) that are only around 50% larger than a Clip+(and perhaps slightly smaller than Sandisk Slotradio player). The AM antenna in the SRFS83 is quite small, being much smaller than a AAA battery. Not every mp3 player needs to be close in size to the Clip+. The important thing is that it be small enough to comfortably fit in a typical shirt pocket.

http://www.fixup.net/tips/srfs83/srfs83.htm

From the picture in your link the antenna looks about the size of a AAA.  The battery clip is for AA, right?

" From the picture in your link the antenna looks about the size of a AAA.  The battery clip is for AA, right?"

No. The S83 takes a AAA battery. That is why I said that the AM antenna in it is much smaller than a AAA battery. The S83 was a great tiny radio. It is a pity that those great tiny analog radios are not easy to find now. The Sony SRF 59 uses a AA battery and is only $15 on Amazon, however it is much larger than the S83 and doesn’t sound quite as good as the S83, but still sounds good. The SRF-59 does get 100 hours play time on one AA battery(140 hours on AM).