Disappointing New Products

While the Clip+ wasn’t that much of a disappointment(why didn’t they increase the battery capacity from what the Clip had rather than decrease it??? Having the player just slightly thicker would have been well worth it).Why do the Slotmusic player and Slotradio to Go Player lack a display??? Even  portable cd players have a display!. Why wasn’t the Slotradio player made with the navigation abilities of the Clip+, and why doesn’t it run on a AAA battery? While the Clip+ is the best 4 GB player I can buy for under $45, I was expecting so much better from Sandisk after the Fuze was introduced.

When will we see some new players from Sandisk that are better than the Fuze with longer battery life, and higher power output so headphones up to 100 or perhaps even 150 or 200 ohms could be properly powered?

I would like a player with at least 40 hours of battery life(60+ would be even better though). I also want it to properly power my Sony V6 and other headphones in the 60-100 ohm range.

JK98 wrote:

When will we see some new players from Sandisk that are better than the Fuze with longer battery life, and higher power output so headphones up to 100 or perhaps even 150 or 200 ohms could be properly powered?

I would like a player with at least 40 hours of battery life(60+ would be even better though). I also want it to properly power my Sony V6 and other headphones in the 60-100 ohm range.

Given their stated “value player” approach, I would be skeptical of the possibility of their releasing a player like you describe. I would like to see it though.

Is the majority of all your posts complaints in the product feature suggestion?

@jk98 wrote:

While the Clip+ is the best 4 GB player I can buy for under $45, I was expecting so much better from Sandisk after the Fuze was introduced.

Imo, Sandisk’s line of products for this past year isn’t bad.  They came out with two players – with each player an improvement over the previous one.

We don’t know really what’s in their product pipeline.  There may very well be a new and improved fuze.  With a larger screen, more battery life and no need for video conversion.

“Imo, Sandisk’s line of products for this past year isn’t bad.”

The Clip+ isn’t bad, however imo the decision to make the battery smaller in capacity(290 mah vs 330 mah in the Clip) just to keep player thickness the same was a mistake. Imo they should have instead used a 600 mah battery, or perhaps had a second version of the Clip+ that is bit thicker but with a larger capacity battery. How costly would it have been to design this second version? Imo it would have been more productive than to have a 2 GB version of the Clip+. On Amazon, it seems like there is only a $6 price difference between the 2 GB and 4 GB Clip+. Are many people buying the 2 GB Clip+, or perhaps the 2 GB Clip+ is only selling well in stores with a much larger price difference, or that are sold out of the 4 GB one?

Did Sandisk do a large survey of consumers to see what percentage would consider buying a player without a display before releasing the Slotmusic player? In this age where most kitchen appliances have a digital display, imo it seems like a bad idea to try to sell an mp3 player that lacks one.

I am dissapointed with my Fuze and Clip+ not because they are bad(they are quite good), however they are missing some functionality that I expected, and that disappoints me. The Fuze and Clip+ are the best players I have found so far for playing podcasts(although some mp3 recorders I haven’t tried yet look very promising) I  expected the Fuze and Clip+ to be able to power the Sony V6 headphones sufficiently. The V6 is 64 ohms and 106 db/mw in efficiency. Apparantly the Fuze and Clip+ seem to be designed with headphones in the 16-32 ohm range in mind, and don’t do that well powering headphones much over 32 ohms. I wasn’t expecting them to power my 300 ohm headphones, but did expect them to work well with my 64 ohm Sony V6. They do work great with my 32 ohm Sony and Sennheiser   headphones though, and are great with my Sony and Sennheiser earphones in the 16-32 ohm range.

Things like variable speed playback with pitch correction, an easily swappable battery, and enough power output to adequately power 100 ohm  100 db/mw headphones  are things I espect. Having battery life of at least 40 hours is also something I have a great desire for.

Message Edited by JK98 on 11-30-2009 09:47 PM

You should probably be looking at a different product. 

If I want a car with GPS and Heated Seats, I don’t buy a base model Honda and then call Honda every day: “Can you add heated seats?”. No, I shop the products that have the features I want. 

In the case of the Fuze, since nearly no player has what I wanted, I just went for size.

@jk98 wrote:

I also want it to properly power my Sony V6 and other headphones in the 60-100 ohm range.

Have you tried the Fiio E5 with your V6’s? I find it pairs pretty well – a broader soundstage, more pronounced bass, no hiss/distortion – with my 1980’s vintage V6’s.

…Adding on topic, I’m disappointed there’s apparently nothing new for the holiday shopping season other than the Clip+, which has been out for a while now. I was hoping at least for a higher capacity Clip+ release in Nov/Dec, new Fuze or something…

I don’t want to have a separate headphone amplifier to carry. I have not tried the E5.

I wouldn’t be hoping for a new Fuze yet. If that happens, I have a feeling the Fuze v1/v2 will be “Viewed”. 

:wink:

Peregrine wrote:

I wouldn’t be hoping for a new Fuze yet. If that happens, I have a feeling the Fuze v1/v2 will be “Viewed”. 

:wink:

Like the original Clip? :wink:

I am hoping for a replacement for the View that has a full sized SDXC card slot, a 3" or so display, and 40+ hour battery life.

@jk98 wrote:

I don’t want to have a separate headphone amplifier to carry. I have not tried the E5.

It’s quite small and I have mine velcro’d to the back of a Fuze, essentially giving me a clip on the Fuze. Attached this way they really become one unit to carry. It’s just $20, so you might want to give it a shot. 

I would also like to see a better player from sandisk

@jk98 wrote:

The Fuze and Clip+ are the best players I have found so far for playing podcasts(although some mp3 recorders I haven’t tried yet look very promising)Message Edited by JK98 on 11-30-2009 09:47 PM

What do they have that’s especially good for podcasts?

One thing I would like is tracking whether a file has been listened to all the way through so your loading program knows whether to delete it when the next week’s show is available. 

“What do they have that’s especially good for podcasts?”

Variable speed playback with automatic pitch correction, and audio enhancements to reduce noise and make  otherwise noisy speech files more intelligible.

i asked for a feature in the next firmware to mark all listened to files as read with a visible mark when they show up in lists, and to have a function on the player to delete all read podcasts.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-21-2009 09:55 PM

"You should probably be looking at a different product. "

Unfortunately that could be said about every mp3 player. They all seem to be lacking some features I want.

Some have higher power output and longer battery life than the Fuze, however they don’t have good podcast support. No curent high quality mp3 players have an easily swappable battery. While some digital recorders have variable speed playback with pitch correction, I question whether they have sound quality as good as the Fuze. The Clip+ has some features the Fuze lacks-a mini USB connector, and dedicated volume buttons.