Photo File Folder Naming

Hi, I’m a new fuse owner. I’m really just a point and click guy, I don’t know a lot of the techie stuff. I’m having a hard time managing my photos on the fuze. I’m trying to create several albums or “folders” for my pics. I’d like one called “kid pics” one called “fishing pics”, etc.

The problem is that every time a create a new folder for the fuze (using windows) and name it  ( “kid pics” ) it just says “new folder” on my fuze. I’m going to My Computer clicking on the fuze and creating the new folder there. Then I use SMC to get the photos from my computer onto the fuse. The name of the folder is always right “kid pics” when viewing the contents of the fuse on my computer, but always wrong “new folder” on the fuze itsself. Help, I’m going nuts trying to fix this.

My USB mode is set to “auto detect”. if I switch to MSC I can’t find anything, not the folders, not the pics I transfered to the Fuze, no MP3’s, nothing. Its frustrating for me because I just want to show my pics to people, not become a computer programer.

Message Edited by fisherman on 03-03-2010 09:25 AM

Do everything through SMC - import your photos, rename them if needed, create an album name (at the bottom), convert them, then save the whole thing as a project that you can reload in SMC in the future.  They should be fine on the Fuze if you use the converter to create your album names instead of Windows.  (I do use MSC, not auto-detect or MTP)

Once they’re on the Fuze, use Windows to delete albums or photos there.  That part works - you just can’t create the albums directly in Windows.  (I’m still playing with this myself)

See if that helps…

Message Edited by oreosmeow on 03-04-2010 10:23 AM

If the photos are reasonably sized jpg’s, you don’t need SMC at all. Just drag & drop them from your computer to your Fuze in MSC mode. Don’t use the Auto-Defect setting for anything.

Contrary to popular belief, SMC is not needed for photos; only videos (and sometimes not even then with the alternatives out there). What is does is A.) convert the image file to .bmp format for smaller file size (but also pixel resolution so the images aren’t as sharp), and B.) reduce the size of the image down to a more manageable size for the tiny screen to display. This also reduces the file’s size, or footprint in the available memory space.

JPG’s are a supported format, so these do not need to be converted. And you can use a variety of image-editing software you probably already have on your computer (or can download for free) that will allow you to re-size the images yourself. The screen’s size is 224 x 176 pixels, and not all of that real estate is going to be used in displaying the pictures, so anything much larger than that size is only going to take up more space in your Fuze’s memory. It’s not going to give you any clearer definition or sharper image.

MSC mode makes your Fuze appear to your computer as just another flash storage system, like a thumb drive or memory stick, so you’re simply transferring files from one place to the other. This way, your folder/file names will stay the same, regardless of whether they’re on your computer or Fuze. :smiley:

If the photos are reasonably sized jpg’s, you don’t need SMC at all. Just drag & drop them from your computer to your Fuze in MSC mode.

Don’t use the Auto-Defect setting for anything.

Contrary to popular belief, SMC is not needed for photos; only videos (and sometimes not even then with the alternatives out there). What is does is A.) convert the image file to .bmp format for smaller file size (but also pixel resolution so the images aren’t as sharp), and B.) reduce the size of the image down to a more manageable size for the tiny screen to display. This also reduces the file’s size, or footprint in the available memory space.

JPG’s are a supported format, so these do not need to be converted. And you can use a variety of image-editing software you probably already have on your computer (or can download for free) that will allow you to re-size the images yourself. The screen’s size is 224 x 176 pixels, and not all of that real estate is going to be used in displaying the pictures, so anything much larger than that size is only going to take up more space in your Fuze’s memory. It’s not going to give you any clearer definition or sharper image.

MSC mode makes your Fuze appear to your computer as just another flash storage system, like a thumb drive or memory stick, so you’re simply transferring files from one place to the other. This way, your folder/file names will stay the same, regardless of whether they’re on your computer or Fuze. :smiley:

Good to know.  Thanks!

A good free program that can convert and resize photos is Irfanview.  It can convert and resize in batches which saves alot of time.  I converted a folder with 85 photos in it all at one time and it didn’t take Irfanview long to do it.

After conversion, I dragged-and-dropped the folder into the fuze in MSC mode.

I’ve used Irfanview, it IS good.  Right now, I’m using PhotoScape which I also like a lot.  It also has a batch editor.  Haven’t tried it yet since every pic I take seems to need individualized attention to correct all my mistakes!